Sponsored

Issue at track, oil pressure

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Was at Willow Springs today and had a great day, until my last lap of the day.

day had gone well with no issues. Hot day around 100* outside. On my last lap I was almost out of gas, gauge said 15 miles to empty, and going down the straight, and my low oil pressure light comes on. Immediately get off the gas, no smoke or oil trail coming out the back, and oil pressure gauge is bouncing (literally) between 25-50.Then all the sudden it shot back to normal range. Oil temp was around 250.
What caused this? Was it the low gas? Oil too hot?
Thanks!
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
subbed for curiosity.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Did not mention oil level, if low, borderline, the pump could be sucking air. Track a car always check after an outing, and top off as needed.

"Was it the low gas? Oil too hot?"

Not likely, reads more like a capacity problem supply & demand.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It could have been a guage issue as well, but I agree with Rapid Red that it is most likely the oil level was on the low side. Definitely with the oil being hot (and therefore less viscous) less of it will go through the pressure bypass, so the oil pump might get more oil into the top of the engine more quickly.

I'm surprised this would happen on a straight rather than in a corner, though. I wouldn't expect that at all.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It ain't got no earl in it. No but really, what is the level? Does the car still run normally?

Sponsored

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Check oil before going out, and it was fine. Car ran fine and normal on the 100 mile drive home

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Sounds like you pumped the oil out of the pan, when you let off the oil had time to drain back and all was fine. This used to happen all the time back in the day. People would put high volume pumps in engines with 5 qt sumps. Actually 4 plus a filter. You could get away with it on a 1/4 mile but any long pulls or a road track and bye bye bearings.

I don't know what oil you are using but try a thicker viscosity.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Check oil before going out, and it was fine. Car ran fine and normal on the 100 mile drive home
Did you check before you went to the event or before each run? Even cars that don't burn any oil normally, tend to eat some at a track event, so keep an eye on it each run. My wifes 01 Cobra was really bad about that.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Did you check before you went to the event or before each run? Even cars that don't burn any oil normally, tend to eat some at a track event, so keep an eye on it each run. My wifes 01 Cobra was really bad about that.
should have clarified, checked before going out on that session and before each

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I donā€™t think the pressure itself can change that fast, to bounce around then shoot up to normal. Perhaps check the sensor itself or the wiring from it. Can you read any codes or errors?

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
should have clarified, checked before going out on that session and before each
Looks like an electrical problem. There are a bunch of posts in this thread from people who don't quite grasp that a GT350 engine with the composite oil pan has an oiling system built for track work. Rather than the usual suspended steel oil pickup tube with a mushroom head on it, there's a large duct molded into the bottom of the pan that goes up to the oil pump. Between that and the baffling, it's almost impossible to have a loss of pressure because of high lateral or longitudinal G forces.

Similarly, the head and block have large enough drains that oil doesn't build up in the heads, and even when you pull over 1 lateral G for a while, the pan is large enough that it doesn't run out of oil. As I said, the Voodoo is built for this stuff.

So, if you had an adequate oil level before and after the session, and the oil temp was below about 280 degrees, then everything was fine and it probably still is. It's possible that there was something that blocked flow briefly, but usually anything that blocks flow destroys the engine in seconds and in your case, that didn't happen.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Looks like an electrical problem. There are a bunch of posts in this thread from people who don't quite grasp that a GT350 engine with the composite oil pan has an oiling system built for track work. Rather than the usual suspended steel oil pickup tube with a mushroom head on it, there's a large duct molded into the bottom of the pan that goes up to the oil pump. Between that and the baffling, it's almost impossible to have a loss of pressure because of high lateral or longitudinal G forces.

Similarly, the head and block have large enough drains that oil doesn't build up in the heads, and even when you pull over 1 lateral G for a while, the pan is large enough that it doesn't run out of oil. As I said, the Voodoo is built for this stuff.

So, if you had an adequate oil level before and after the session, and the oil temp was below about 280 degrees, then everything was fine and it probably still is. It's possible that there was something that blocked flow briefly, but usually anything that blocks flow destroys the engine in seconds and in your case, that didn't happen.
Please elaborate. Not understanding how one can have a brief obstruction. What could cause that is still there. Am I missing something.
My #10 Track Attack car had no pressure for the last couple laps. I didnā€™t here the warning chime because I was so focusedā€¦.fastest part of the day. Once I heard it I pulled in. Watching my tape I realized the oil warning chime was going off long before I noticed it. Car felt perfect up until I noticed. After I noticed I just backed off slowly into the pits. Again, car acted fine. You would think without pressure youā€™d go into limp mode but it didnā€™t.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...how one can have a brief obstruction. What could cause that is still there. Am I missing something...
You're not missing anything. If there's junk floating around in the engine somewhere, it'll happen again. OP needs to watch to see if it recurs.

...You would think without pressure youā€™d go into limp mode but it didnā€™t.
Oil pressure doesn't trigger limp mode for some reason that must make sense to Ford...

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
You're not missing anything. If there's junk floating around in the engine somewhere, it'll happen again. OP needs to watch to see if it recurs.

Oil pressure doesn't trigger limp mode for some reason that must make sense to Ford...
Definitely going to be watching for this again

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Iā€™d get this oil analyzed by black stone labs or similar and see if thereā€™s anything weird in it. Itā€™ll help you understand if there was junk in there.
Sponsored