Sponsored

Is your 350 rotting before your very eyes, like mine?

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
ouch....how can this happen ? was there already corrosion on the panel before painting ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Well, I finally got around to having my fenders replaced under the TSB - it's been 3 years since I found the corrosion. I was holding out until near the end of warranty, in case something else happened to damage the fenders (ding, etc.). I also had the oil cooler line recall done, finally.

After surveying several local dealerships, I decided on Smith Ford in Washington, NJ, because they have their own in-house paint shop (no finger pointing), and their paint Guru Rick, has been doing this work for them for 40 years. He was very easy to work with, and I told him to take his time, I don't need the car. They had it about 7 weeks. Again, I was in no rush.

Rick ended up having a special paint mix made, as he wasn't happy with the factory specified mix. He also had a special green primer made to match what the factory used, so, looking at the back of the fender, it matches what was taken off the car. He ended up blending the hood and doors, just to be sure, and the paint matches well, even under the lights in my garage. When doing the hood, he actually fixed a rock chip/scratch and a factory grinding mark that was clearly visible. His fender/hood alignment did not match what came from the factory, so I realigned the fenders when I got home. They pretty much match what I recall. Luckily, Fords panel fit sucks anyway, so mine won't look out of the ordinary.

As an extra bonus, I walked away with the leftover paint, and both fenders - I might use one or both for garage art. Here's a few pictures.
fender-1.jpg
fender-3.jpg
output_image1631638652120.jpg
20210921_083033.jpg
fender-6.jpg
fender-9.jpg
fender-10.jpg
fender-7.jpg
fender-1.jpg

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Liked to see what the back of the damaged panel looks like. To see if there's corrosion on the back too.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Sand the paint down, I’m betting it’s not corroded. Aluminum doesn’t corrode but the sealants they use in the panels can do all sorts of funky stuff when exposed to water and air. My wife’s Chrysler had the same issue on its hood which is also aluminum. It was repainted once by the selling dealer and then it happened again. I spoke at length with a different body shop manager and was told they have a stack of about 200 hoods they’ve replaced over the last few years because they come poorly prepped at the factory before painting. She said that’s why they’ll never sand them and repaint (like ours was) because it eventually happens again like it did to us.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
She said that’s why they’ll never sand them and repaint (like ours was) because it eventually happens again like it did to us.
what's so hard about bead-blasting the thing back to bare metal and re-priming?

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Zombo, how do you like that 928 S4?
I love it! Fantastic car as long as one remembers it is a vintage car. I was in High School when the 928 came out in '78 and it has always been a dream car. I finally got one in 2018 at a BaT auction, something I could turn wrenches on. Very easy to work on, good parts availability and great online tech support. I drive it more miles than my other cars combined. I have one rule though: never drive the 928 after the 350!

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
A close friend who had a 2012 or 2013 GT with aluminum hood had the whole damn thing corrode away. Paint bubbles and flakes everywhere. Ridiculous in a modern car, in my opinion. Appreciate the heads-up!
same happened to my previous 06GT with aluminum hood in 2008. Was covered under warranty and repainted by Ford. Happened two more times....both outside of warranty. second repair by Ford, third repair by local body shop. When I was looking to repair on my own after warranty I contacted lots of shops and no one would touch it or guarantee the repair would last.....even shops that specialized in aluminum repair. You would think Ford would have a solution by now!

OP
OP
Zombo

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 35 year old 928S4 has an aluminum hood, doors and fenders - no corrosion.

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
This is common across manufacturers

I am Jeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
FBO C63, Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, 18' LB GT350, 19' Performance Blue GT350R
My 35 year old 928S4 has an aluminum hood, doors and fenders - no corrosion.
When I was shopping for a R in 2019, Koppel Ford in Queens had a brand new no mileage GT350R that had that corrosion like that on the rear quarter panels where it met the trunk lids. So it's definitely not a one off and it definitely is a production/manufacturing issue.

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Sorry for the hijack but you gotta love vintage footage 928s4.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
what's so hard about bead-blasting the thing back to bare metal and re-priming?
Per Ford's revised Paint and Corrosion Warranty as of 2016+, it is required to replace the entire aluminum body panel. They no longer deal with the corroded panel, or attempt any repair. It's remove and replace.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
They no longer deal with the corroded panel, or attempt any repair. It's remove and replace.
with another shitty-ass primed panel that will blister and peel in 4-6 more years... Big improvement.
Sponsored