Sponsored

Is worth the $ to go from a gen 2 whipple to a gen 4.

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt prem pp whipple stage 2. 2017 silverado LTZ with rocky ridge package. 09 HD muscle.
My car now has a gen 2 stage 2. ARH complete catted system and a jms bap. the dyno sheet came with the car from original owner from revolution performance in MD. shows 709/523 @ 13.6 max on boost on 93 oct with the whipple tune. I am running boostane now at around a 100 oct mix and deciding if its worth the 4k to buy a gen 4 head unit. I do not have E 85 in my state of CT. My main concern is with the bit more boost of the gen 4 will it be on the edge to run the 3.625 pulley and boostane. I guess it would have around 14.5 lbs boost. I would love the get rid of the cats but CT is a strict blue state. I am waiting for a spot to get a custom tune from wicked motorsports in NJ. If I had to go up in pulley size I doubt it would really be worth spending that much money on it. The car just has only 12000 miles btw. So just do the tune or gen 4 then tune I guess is my question.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If you are happy with what you have, I wouldn’t upgrade. Do you feel dis satisfied with the current power?

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt prem pp whipple stage 2. 2017 silverado LTZ with rocky ridge package. 09 HD muscle.
If you are happy with what you have, I wouldn’t upgrade. Do you feel dis satisfied with the current power?
I have had stuff with up to 1600hp so it seems to pull pretty good for what it is but is not eye opening to me. I dont race it but I just have this to have something to spend time on basically a project Sunday car so im always deciding what to do next on it.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have had stuff with up to 1600hp so it seems to pull pretty good for what it is but is not eye opening to me. I dont race it but I just have this to have something to spend time on basically a project Sunday car so im always deciding what to do next on it.
Sounds like you also want something new to do and project. I’m same way, sometimes I spend more money on stuff I don’t need but it’s fun to do.

following to see what outcome will be. And how much of a difference if you did it if you think it’s worth it in the end.

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you also want something new to do and project. I’m same way, sometimes I spend more money on stuff I don’t need but it’s fun to do.

following to see what outcome will be. And how much of a difference if you did it if you think it’s worth it in the end.
Yes exactly. I own a landscaping company and this time of year I have alot of free time on my hands. I did search many older threads. One thread a guy did this swap of head units only. If I remember correctly he gained 60hp which seems like alot but he was on E85. Whipple claims 30 to 150 gain and state something like at least 30 hp on a typical pump gas setup with just the swap and no new tune needed. I would figure about 30hp I would hope.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Without access to E85, I don't see the point. Even with 93/boostane, I wouldn't feel safe going over 750hp, but thats just me.

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Have you gone "full send" with the gen2 yet? Smallest possible pully, supporting mods, e85/racegas tune?
No I dont have e85 in my state and the closest place with race fuel is about a half hour away. I really just want to stick 93 and boostane which a 3.625 pulley seems to be pretty close to how small a pulley you can run and still stay pretty safe. It does have supporting mods for a stage 2 inc the 72lb injectors and 132 tb and a bap. Also it has the op and tc gears long tubes. Twin disk cf drive shaft. Half shafts etc.

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Blower upgrades typically work best when your current setup is pushed. Where you can take advantage of newly developed efficiencies. Can you gain 10-20whp? Sure maybe? But how much of that is weather differences, margin of error on dyno, a sweeter blend of 93? Would it justify the 4 grand?

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Blower upgrades typically work best when your current setup is pushed. Where you can take advantage of newly developed efficiencies. Can you gain 10-20whp? Sure maybe? But how much of that is weather differences, margin of error on dyno, a sweeter blend of 93? Would it justify the 4 grand?
I think you all are gonna save me some money. I really wish we had E85 as I would put in a full fuel system, injectors, smaller pulley and tune but I guess it will just be a custom tune.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I think you all are gonna save me some money. I really wish we had E85 as I would put in a full fuel system, injectors, smaller pulley and tune but I guess it will just be a custom tune.
I live where e85 is not a option right now. So water/meth is my go to option

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
709/523 @ 13.6 max on boost on 93 oct with the whipple tune.
Well with boostane you could add a couple more degrees of timing and probably pick up another 40 hp. The way I go is keep what you have, but get a tune specifically for race gas with a similar stoich to the 93 pump. 14.1 range if it's E10. And with a 100 octane race fuel you could most likely better that 40hp bump vs boostane. This way you can have the street tune & a few more degrees of timing race tune on race gas.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
If you are knock-limited, something like an interchiller or killer chiller would probably be money better spent. That will buy you approximately 2 deg timing or 2 psi boost capability (but not both).

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
I live where e85 is not a option right now. So water/meth is my go to option
TY. I did think about doing that. I will run it by the tuner this week and see if he would want to tune it with a meth kit.

OP
OP
Sean709

Sean709

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Well with boostane you could add a couple more degrees of timing and probably pick up another 40 hp. The way I go is keep what you have, but get a tune specifically for race gas with a similar stoich to the 93 pump. 14.1 range if it's E10. And with a 100 octane race fuel you could most likely better that 40hp bump vs boostane. This way you can have the street tune & a few more degrees of timing race tune on race gas.
Do you mean so the timing will self adjust with the race fuel. Does anyone know how much timing the whipple tune allows timing to advance with better fuel and if it is possible for the tuner to increase that limit. Ilike that idea.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mean so the timing will self adjust with the race fuel
Yeah. Tune sets the initial timing, then let the knock sensors add timing.
Sponsored