Sponsored

is this tire fudged? Patch too close to sidewall?

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Hey guys,

Im in a real shitty financial situation at the current time and cannot buy a new tires. My dad grabbed this one for me off craigslist from one of the 1000 no name used tire shops here in Orlando. Tread is 10/32 (new) but I guess he overlooked this pretty large hole that was patched in the inside. Must have been like an industrial concrete nail or something. Anyways, is this tire fudged or with the interior patch the shop did will it be safe to ride on?

358oyv6.jpg

2eg6w51.jpg
Sponsored

GetYourWheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.GetYourWheels.com
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
GT350R / Tesla Model 3P
Part of me says just keep looking for a new tire..

the part of me that was in your position financially struggling at one point... put it on and have faith on that patch job will hold up..

If you really really need to, I would take it to another place that doesn't care where the hole is and see if they can do a better patch job.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Take it to where you're going to have it mounted and ask them the integrity of the patch. That's a total amateur job though like some garage monkey did it and I wouldn't trust that at all.

EastTNMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 3
Take it to where you're going to have it mounted and ask them the integrity of the patch. That's a total amateur job though like some garage monkey did it and I wouldn't trust that at all.
+1 ask the shop where you get the tire mounted...tire will be fine for daily driving. If you are still unsure but need to mount, recommend you put the tire in the back.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
If you're in a pinch I second having a higher quality patch/plug installed before you put it on your car. Most tire shops have them.

tire_care_high_tech_patch.jpg

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you are still unsure but need to mount, recommend you put the tire in the back.
Not sure I agree with that, since you don't have direct steering control over what happens at the rear wheels.

If a repair does let go on a rear tire, the result can end up being anywhere from mild wooziness or slight tailhappiness to full-blown oversteer or even a spin.

Up front, your car's steering can at least get the car pointed toward the direction it needs to go in regardless of whether the tires themselves end up being pointed in that precise direction or not. Steering response will be heavy and 'numb', and the car will 'plow' and want to run wide if you're in a turn, but it won't try to snap loose on you.

Norm

ghostnote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
That's fine for daily driving since it's not on the sidewall. That is, it hasn't broken the integrity of the sidewall, which is what's important. Maybe with extreme lateral side loads the shoulder will roll a bit - so don't go around autocrossing.

Like the others, I'd suggest saving up for a new tire as priority # 1.

OP
OP

Arsenalslr95

V6 Tactical Operator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Cyclone
Thanks for the input guys. This one has to go on the rear due to the size (staggered) so I guess ill have a better patch put on and hope for the best. Car is a daily driver and a V6, so no hitting corners or racing around for me anyways
Sponsored