Is this the beginning of the end for catless products [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Ahhh yes, the classic response of if someone disagrees with me they must be stupid. Very tolerant of you.
Hey, I didn’t gave any name, you’re the one putting yourself in the less than 85 IQ group......At least you know yourself well 😆

Last edited:

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Eh, many people might be deterred but car culture will never stop modifying. You ever see some oddball like a 500hp SAAB 9-3 where the person did all the hard work themselves? There will always be tinkerer's tinkering. The government can't stop that. People modded and raced Ladas in the USSR for pete's sake. If I was building a drag car and no headers were available to buy, I'd make my own.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hey, I didn’t gave any name, you’re the one putting yourself in the less than 85 IQ group......At least you know yourself well 😆
Weird, I must have missed where I put myself in that category. Either way, I find it funny how people such as yourself feel the need to question anyone's intelligence to try to validate your opinion. Have a good night

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'll be installing an On3 single turbo kit here soon. I'm sure the government will be thrilled with me.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
They added lead as an octane booster. The old Ethyl. They then found it helped lube valves. If it was not a good Octane booster race gas wouldn't have it today.
Specifically, tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) was developed before and during WWII. New, more powerful aircraft engines--think Merlin V12s in Hurricanes, Spitfires, Lancasters and Mustangs (the flyable variety)--needed detonation-resistant fuel to keep their high-compression engines from (basically) melting. The Sloan-Kettering Institute--who also brought us electric starters--was tasked with finding an octane-boosting additive, and tested over 4,000 different compounds; TEL was by far the most effective. So, in a way, 'ethyl' helped win WWII (I don't know if the Germans and Japanese developed their own octane boosters, stole the TEL formula, or did without). After the war, presumably the infrastructure for making TEL was in place, so the additive found its way into auto gas and contributed to the 'horsepower wars' in the 1950s.

TEL is still used in piston aircraft engines, though only (relatively) 'low-lead' 100-octane fuel is generally available (it's blue, the original leaded avgas rated at 130-octane was orange-colored). There's enough TEL in 100LL that some lower-powered aircraft engines can have problems with it; I've seen spark plugs with BB-sized lumps of elemental lead stuck to electrodes. Ironically, I suppose, Mobil developed a full synthetic 'Mobil 1 Aviation' oil for aircraft piston engines, but it was discovered that it didn't adequately scavenge the lead left by combustion--particularly in big-bore Continental engines--and it gunked up the ring landings. Quite a few owners got free engine overhauls from Mobil--at the time, an overhaul could cost over $30K--and probably a few who never had any issues got new engines anyway. Work is underway to find a 'drop-in' fuel for aircraft that doesn't contain any lead, but it's slow-going (last I heard, Shell was still working on it).

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Specifically, tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) was developed before and during WWII. New, more powerful aircraft engines--think Merlin V12s in Hurricanes, Spitfires, Lancasters and Mustangs (the flyable variety)--needed detonation-resistant fuel to keep their high-compression engines from (basically) melting. The Sloan-Kettering Institute--who also brought us electric starters--was tasked with finding an octane-boosting additive, and tested over 4,000 different compounds; TEL was by far the most effective. So, in a way, 'ethyl' helped win WWII (I don't know if the Germans and Japanese developed their own octane boosters, stole the TEL formula, or did without). After the war, presumably the infrastructure for making TEL was in place, so the additive found its way into auto gas and contributed to the 'horsepower wars' in the 1950s.

TEL is still used in piston aircraft engines, though only (relatively) 'low-lead' 100-octane fuel is generally available (it's blue, the original leaded avgas rated at 130-octane was orange-colored). There's enough TEL in 100LL that some lower-powered aircraft engines can have problems with it; I've seen spark plugs with BB-sized lumps of elemental lead stuck to electrodes. Ironically, I suppose, Mobil developed a full synthetic 'Mobil 1 Aviation' oil for aircraft piston engines, but it was discovered that it didn't adequately scavenge the lead left by combustion--particularly in big-bore Continental engines--and it gunked up the ring landings. Quite a few owners got free engine overhauls from Mobil--at the time, an overhaul could cost over $30K--and probably a few who never had any issues got new engines anyway. Work is underway to find a 'drop-in' fuel for aircraft that doesn't contain any lead, but it's slow-going (last I heard, Shell was still working on it).
Thank you for this insightful and informative post. Almost didn’t make it wading though all the other BS. :giggle: :clap:

Nate_V8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS
bah in 20 years the tinkerers will be tinkering with batteries and conductors mainly. Just because it will be more green doesn't mean it can't be fun. BUT....it will be quieter. Just attach some playing cards to the calipers I guess

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Easy, beside checking your ID to make sure that you are not a felon, my only restriction wouldn’t be on the type or number of weapons, but simply that the buyer/owner should have a minimum IQ of 85...
Should eliminate a couple of people on this thread...

I support that - if you support legislation to keep people with an IQ under 85 from voting in elections or running for public office of any kind.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant” - Harlan Ellison

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Specifically, tetra-ethyl lead (TEL) was developed before and during WWII. New, more powerful aircraft engines--think Merlin V12s in Hurricanes, Spitfires, Lancasters and Mustangs (the flyable variety)--needed detonation-resistant fuel to keep their high-compression engines from (basically) melting.
German WWII , zero TEL C3 (equivalent to USAF 130 octane):

"The C-3 grade was a leaded blend of about 15 percent volume of synthetic isoparaffins and 85 percent volume of a base stock containing 45 to 50 percent volume aromatics, produced by further processing of a hydrogenated gasoline almost identical to unleaded"

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Eh, many people might be deterred but car culture will never stop modifying. You ever see some oddball like a 500hp SAAB 9-3 where the person did all the hard work themselves? There will always be tinkerer's tinkering. The government can't stop that. People modded and raced Ladas in the USSR for pete's sake. If I was building a drag car and no headers were available to buy, I'd make my own.
This is true and I don't disagree with you.

BUT,........how do you buy parts that aren't available? (Like the info that was posted in the video I posted yesterday. Alex explains that it's all, both tuning and hardware, are seemingly getting clamped down on.)
How do you register and insure your car if it isn't emissions legal? No way you will be able to drive it on the street without getting pulled over/getting caught.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.