Sponsored

Is this engine noisy or is it just me?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'87 Mustang (Sold); '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '19 Ranger
Disclaimer... I have a 2019 Ranger.

I'm new to the EcoBoost line of engines and honestly I'm not sure what to expect my truck has almost 13,000 miles on it now and I haven't really paid any attention to noises or anything like that and recently I've just been running with the AC on and the windows up and just not even listening to the radio. I've noticed that sometimes under light acceleration I'll hear what basically just sounds like valve train noise mostly coming from the driver side of the engine and when I roll the windows down I can't even really hear it outside. The only time I've actually been able to is right beside a building. I'm not sure if this is normal, if it's the direct injectors, the hpfp, or maybe even a slight exhaust leak because I have the mbrp exhaust which doesn't have a flex coupler and I haven't tightened it up in a few months. Am I going crazy, or is this just something that's intrinsic to this line of engines? It's not very loud, it's faint and like I said it just sounds like a sewing machine kind of valve train noise like you would have with a set of mechanical lifters or something like that and it only happens under light acceleration and light load. Most of the time you can't hear anything at all other than the engine and if you get on the gas a little bit and it stops. My previous DI engines have all been Mazdas and they really have a lot of sound dampening under the hood.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
It sounds like a tractor to me, especially in the taller gears.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t even hear mine other than idle

77Highboy77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang
Mine makes a fair amount of noise, has since brand new. I think it is just the direct injection system, my GLI made similar noises though not quite as loud. In 30k miles I haven't had any issues, so the sound doesn't seem to be a problem. It does sound like valve train noise if you aren't familiar with the sound of DI engines though.

Sponsored

93coupe/stroked

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2020 ecoboost base auto metalic
Noise? I thought that was horsepower being made under the hood! After years of working in a industrial plant plus shooting! What noise!

Last edited:

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
With the Rangers, definitely the HPFP. Had one come in with the same concern - rattle from driver side firewall. Sounded just like the HPFP when you lift the hood. I think the lack of sound insulation over the pump is the problem since Ford started deleting engine covers on certain trims.

However, that engine rattle from what I belive is the balance shafts when shutting the engine off was unexpected. The 2.3's are really full of noises lol.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I have a ranger and before that several other turbo charged Fords (SHO, Explorer). It's the turbo. Makes noise. Gives low end torque.

Like it!

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine makes a fair amount of noise, has since brand new. I think it is just the direct injection system, my GLI made similar noises though not quite as loud. In 30k miles I haven't had any issues, so the sound doesn't seem to be a problem. It does sound like valve train noise if you aren't familiar with the sound of DI engines though.
I'm familiar, but I hadn't had an EcoBoost. Just two Mazdaspeed 3s, and a few Skyactiv Mazdas. Much quieter. I was really surprised. I do love the power though!

Of course my old Fox body with a solid roller has them all beat in noise. LoL.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the Rangers, definitely the HPFP. Had one come in with the same concern - rattle from driver side firewall. Sounded just like the HPFP when you lift the hood. I think the lack of sound insulation over the pump is the problem since Ford started deleting engine covers on certain trims.

However, that engine rattle from what I belive is the balance shafts when shutting the engine off was unexpected. The 2.3's are really full of noises lol.
Yea, I was surprised at the noise while driving at times. Idle, especially with the hood open was expected, but sometimes it sounds like valve train noise like an old mechanical cam small block. Not all the time, but occasionally. I wonder if the weird metal heat shield over the HPFP is the culprit. The Ranger doesn't have the same kind of phone cover like the Mustang over the pump it does have a thin cover but then on top of that there is a metal shield that if you look up the part is called a heat shield. I don't know why there would need to be a heat shield there but I can see where it would transmit a lot of noise. I'm thinking about laying some dynamat on the top of that heat shield to see if that does anything.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I have a CVF downpipe (catted) & charge pipes. I don't know which of these allows me to hear the turbo, but that sounds kinda cool.

The tractor sounding part is the mechanical 'Brrrrrr' when you touch the gas

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Ranger does not have the big foam cover over the pump, just a little rubber one (thin) and over that there is a thick sheet metal "heat shield" bolted to the pump. I put Dynamat Extreme on that shield and it killed a ton of the sound. It is still there, because it travels through the engine (used a stethoscope to find that out), but it is much better.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
When I rev my Ecoboost while in the garage with the car windows down , my engine sound reminds me of a sewing machine. I think if you rev a 4 cylinder engine you will find they sound different than a V8, but you can appreciate the sound anyway.
Sponsored