Is this an exhaust leak? You tell me

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
2020 mustang gt with steeda H pipe and corsa sport axel backs. Originally I had a crappy shop install these and after 6 months one of the corsa clamps came loose and my passenger side pipe disconnected from the H pipe and dragged on the ground. Sooo
Went to another shop and had the guy pop it back in place and tighten the clamp down correctly.
Now after a couple months it sounds like a leak? Almost like a spray can with the little marble inside shaking and varies depending on my throttle position.
Car sat over night and at 12 pm today I started it and looked under, should it be leaking condensation from these areas? Or Is that a tell tail sign I should just get it all welded in place? Also looks like the back end is sagging. The picture I circled is a connector before the mid pipe and I witnessed moisture spitting out of that connector but that's factory? Not sure if they loosened it to put on my H pipe at the time?

20220122_120206.jpg

Screenshot_20220122-123903_Gallery.jpg
Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Some condensation where clamps are, are normal. You'll never get a complete seal with them. If you see black soot that would be a good indication of a leak. My clamps would always leak or loosen on my catback. I ended up getting mine welded so I never have to worry about it.

OP
OP
Muhnopoly

Muhnopoly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
Some condensation where clamps are, are normal. You'll never get a complete seal with them. If you see black soot that would be a good indication of a leak. My clamps would always leak or loosen on my catback. I ended up getting mine welded so I never have to worry about it.
Mine indeed do have black soot. I saw it when I had the guy tighten back up the pipe that disconnected. Will have it checked out in the next few days

Offshoregames

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
21’ GT Premium PP1 Carbonized Grey Metallic loaded
Vehicle Showcase
I had my Steeda H pipe welded in. Didn’t want to deal with clamps possibly loosening. My performance exhaust shop said he has seen his fair share of loosening clamps.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the initial install was a poor job and the exhaust became disconnected and hit the ground as you said above, there's a very high probability that the end that did hit the ground is out of round. If that is true, even if it's slightly out of round and not visible to the eye, it will leak no matter how tight the clamp is made. A good exhaust shop will be able to use the proper size exhaust pipe reamer and get it back to shape. I would discard the existing clamps as well and start with brand new units.

Another thing - while it's at the shop, have them make sure the pipes are aligned front to back - that's important too for a good seal.

Wipe down any existing black soot off the pipe or if it has stained, just use steel wool or some emory paper to remove it. If there is another leak, you then should be able to easily tell from where since the soot wouid be fresh at that point.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
If water can get out then so can the exhaust unfortunately. Pretty much all clamped connections leak to some degree, especially on a cold start. I need to get mine welded for the same reason. They're nice if you aren't sure if you're keeping a system or not, but if you like it, weld it. lol
Sponsored