Is this a throw out bearing noise?

colemcelmeel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
My car has been making this sqeaking noise when the clutch is released (no pressure on it). When I put nearly any pressure on the clutch, the noise mostly goes away. If I hold down the clutch for awhile the noise slowly comes back. Occasionally, I will hear a rattle as well along with the this noise. I am thinking it’s the throw out bearing but any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Sponsored

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
given no other history like miles, clutch replacement , I d say it s safe to pull the clutch and check throw out bearing and all at one time.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes, if the noise goes away when pressing in the clutch pedal it is definitely the throw out bearing.

Signs of failing TOB can be squealing, squeaking or bird-like chirping at idle that is present when clutch pedal is not pressed to floor. Once pressing in clutch pedal the noise will usually subside.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Reasonable answers already to your question by others. My comment is about how to prolong the life of a throw-out bearing.
Main thing is to limit the running time when the clutch is depressed. When i stop at red lights, have to wait to pull out from a side road or most any time I have to sit for more than a few seconds with the engine running. I put the trans in neutral and release the clutch while sitting still. My take is this relieves the work of the throw-out bearing in the same way as when driving down the road in gear with the clutch fully engaged.

The throw-out bearing only has to act when the clutch is pushed to the floor with the engine running and the trans in a gear (usually 1st or reverse). The less time it has to spin that way the less overall wear.

I also take my foot completely off the clutch as often as is possible. I do not, for example, allow my foot to ride on the clutch pedal when driving for a distance in a gear. Only have a foot on the clutch pedal when actually shifting.

I also do not use the clutch to hold a car on a slight grade. Use the brake. A new feature on some new cars is the electronic parking brake rather than a manual handle. Some have a hill hold feature that helps, but i like the manual parking brake with a handle. New technology which is not an improvement over tried and true old school stuff.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Hello; Reasonable answers already to your question by others. My comment is about how to prolong the life of a throw-out bearing.
Main thing is to limit the running time when the clutch is depressed. When i stop at red lights, have to wait to pull out from a side road or most any time I have to sit for more than a few seconds with the engine running. I put the trans in neutral and release the clutch while sitting still. My take is this relieves the work of the throw-out bearing in the same way as when driving down the road in gear with the clutch fully engaged.

The throw-out bearing only has to act when the clutch is pushed to the floor with the engine running and the trans in a gear (usually 1st or reverse). The less time it has to spin that way the less overall wear.

I also take my foot completely off the clutch as often as is possible. I do not, for example, allow my foot to ride on the clutch pedal when driving for a distance in a gear. Only have a foot on the clutch pedal when actually shifting.

I also do not use the clutch to hold a car on a slight grade. Use the brake. A new feature on some new cars is the electronic parking brake rather than a manual handle. Some have a hill hold feature that helps, but i like the manual parking brake with a handle. New technology which is not an improvement over tried and true old school stuff.
Im anti free roll (clutch in) as you can get. Neutral or in gear coasting or accelerating, clutch is to switch gears only.

Driving big trucks young taught me valuable lessons on how to treat a clutch.

This definitely sounds like a bad TB and probably pilot bearing
Sponsored