Sponsored

Is this a handling pack? Is it too late to order for MY22?

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
thanks a ton!

After some digging through this forum ive determined a track pack actually isnt what i want, because it would be daily driven and my area does occasionally get snow/rain which from what i understand i would have to swap tires and rims right out the gate.

One thing i do also know is the recaro seats i find to be uncomfortable, theres a used one here (2021, 500 miles on it) but it has recaros, is it possible to swap those for the standard seats with heating/cooling? It has elite package so im guessing it should maybe have the wiring?
Any Mach 1 will not be OK in the snow with the stock tires. No way I would try PS4s to handle snow - rain, yes, snow, no way unless it was a light dusting at best.
Sponsored

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
This is the car and it has a $5600 mark-up from sticker.

https://www.carmax.com/car/22498506
So, hood struts added, coolant tank cover added, blue air filter added and unfortunately holes in front bumper for dealer tag. Not one pic of chassis tag and no mention of owners kit, front lower splitter or yellow front spring shipping blocks. Under 600 miles so break in process not complete. At least Cobrajet70 got the window sticker posted.

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally
Any Mach 1 will not be OK in the snow with the stock tires. No way I would try PS4s to handle snow - rain, yes, snow, no way unless it was a light dusting at best.
2022-01-27 07.45.45.jpg

Yes, I highly recommend not driving it in snow or cold weather. Take it from someone who had very little choice. 🤣

OP
OP

VladDracule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS
so the question is then, how much worse would it be in rain/snow than my current '14 5.0? I will caveat that it doesnt rain/snow a ton here, im in new mexico, so we do get some snow, but when we do its light, and my job will typically allow for me to work from home (or enforce it) if the weather is that bad

Also are there other tire options that will work with the stock TP rims? Or is my initial inclination to just skip the track pack altogether still right?

Last edited:

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
I've been stuck in a lot of rain with Cups on, Standing Florida down pour with water waking out of the wheel wells...not fun but manageable. The Cups stick well in the wet to get you home if you take it easy, I think the wet performance of them are better then what we drove on 15 years ago... or some Nittos I've been on. But that said, I don't see anyone who going to keep Cups on their HP car using it as a daily after they wear out. Mine lasted 7k before I corded the front, Something like a Ps4s would make the car safe for any rain and alot cheaper and last alot longer. Snow...if you deal with regular snow I'm sure you're accustom to needing winter tires.
If you down size the tires there's more options. 305/35r 19 fits the rear, 305/30 squared, down size the fronts to 295 and more options become available. But really shouldn't be any different then a 14 GT with summer tires once you replace the factory track day tires.

Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
so the question is then, how much worse would it be in rain/snow than my current '14 5.0? I will caveat that it doesnt rain/snow a ton here, im in new mexico, so we do get some snow, but when we do its light, and my job will typically allow for me to work from home (or enforce it) if the weather is that bad
Summer tyres don't like temperatures below 7°C / 45 °F. Performance tyres even less so. There's degradation of their performance and risk of damaging them especially when freezing. The conditions are written by manufacturer and it's not just a recommendation. Using summer tyres on snow or salted slush especially is a good way to get yourself killed (which isn't a problem because it's your choice but there's a risk of killing someone else on the road) in a slide you can't control. In any car, and now imagine powerful RWD with lenient ESC like Mustang 😁 And Cup2's take this one level of poor performance higher, being street legal semi-slicks meant for track. If you'd drive only on dry road and it wasn't freezing (or wet and drive granny style), then summer tyres are fine still. Not mentioning factors like higher wear or mileage spread across two sets of tyres giving lot longer durability.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Summer tyres don't like temperatures below 7°C / 45 °F. Performance tyres even less so. There's degradation of their performance and risk of damaging them especially when freezing. The conditions are written by manufacturer and it's not just a recommendation. Using summer tyres on snow or salted slush especially is a good way to get yourself killed (which isn't a problem because it's your choice but there's a risk of killing someone else on the road) in a slide you can't control. In any car, and now imagine powerful RWD with lenient ESC like Mustang 😁 And Cup2's take this one level of poor performance higher, being street legal semi-slicks meant for track. If you'd drive only on dry road and it wasn't freezing (or wet and drive granny style), then summer tyres are fine still. Not mentioning factors like higher wear or mileage spread across two sets of tyres giving lot longer durability.
100%

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Dangerous for sure.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Also are there other tire options that will work with the stock TP rims? Or is my initial inclination to just skip the track pack altogether still right?

You don't have to skip the track pack. Some might recommend a High Performance All-Season tire, or you can keep two sets of wheels: one for summer and one for winter. It really depends on your situation - Do you want to invest in a split summer/winter setup? Do you have room for that?

By the way, winter tires aren't just for snow, but also cold and dry/wet conditions. Does it get cold in NM?

There are a few good tire manufacturers out there like Continental, Michelin, Goodyear, etc that would probably work for you. Michelin makes a great performance winter tire, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, that fit the stock TP wheels. They fit a GT350 so I know they'll fit the M1 (same widths).

Personally, I keep a second set of stock rims with winter tires on them. I live in Boise Idaho where we see cold/snow/wet from November to May. This last winter I ran the Michelin Pilot PA4s (square set 295/35r19) on my GT350, and they are fantastic tires for cold/wet or snow. I drove all winter. Mostly when the roads were clear and it was cold and dry/wet, but even drove in a little snow this year (nothing too crazy - some weight in the trunk helps). I swap wheels when temps drop below 40ish, around November, and put the summer set on when everything warms up, that was early May this year.

It's worth it to me so I don't have to park my car for months on end, and I have some confidence in my tires not being like hockey pucks when the temps are lower.

OP
OP

VladDracule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS
You cant just swap the seats from Recaros to standard heated and cooled. The Factory Recaros cars lack the harness to the seat. ( we looked into this on a GT and a GT350 a few years ago) You can mount them but the heating and cooling will not work as well as the powered functions of the seat.
Is it possible to do the opposite? Swap stock seats to Recaro?

Sponsored

Hoose71

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
84, 13, 13, 21, 22 Mustangs, 72 Nova Rally

So... since you're comparing it to a 13/14 GT I can answer that pretty well. There's a trade off. As you know 13/14 doesn't have snow/rain or any other drives modes. So starting and turning aren't exactly fantastic in bad conditions even with all season tires. The Mach 1 is better because it does have the driving modes and the nannies actually work pretty well in my experience. With the summer tires though you lose a lot of stopping power below 45 degrees. Both of them are terrible in deeper snow. Given the choice I would rather drive the Mach 1 on summer tires than my 13 on all seasons in bad weather. I wouldn't do it with Pilot Cup tires though, I believe they actually can crack in those temperatures.

koplebob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord V6, 2023 Ford Mustang GT
You don't have to skip the track pack. Some might recommend a High Performance All-Season tire, or you can keep two sets of wheels: one for summer and one for winter. It really depends on your situation - Do you want to invest in a split summer/winter setup? Do you have room for that?

By the way, winter tires aren't just for snow, but also cold and dry/wet conditions. Does it get cold in NM?

There are a few good tire manufacturers out there like Continental, Michelin, Goodyear, etc that would probably work for you. Michelin makes a great performance winter tire, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4, that fit the stock TP wheels. They fit a GT350 so I know they'll fit the M1 (same widths).

Personally, I keep a second set of stock rims with winter tires on them. I live in Boise Idaho where we see cold/snow/wet from November to May. This last winter I ran the Michelin Pilot PA4s (square set 295/35r19) on my GT350, and they are fantastic tires for cold/wet or snow. I drove all winter. Mostly when the roads were clear and it was cold and dry/wet, but even drove in a little snow this year (nothing too crazy - some weight in the trunk helps). I swap wheels when temps drop below 40ish, around November, and put the summer set on when everything warms up, that was early May this year.

It's worth it to me so I don't have to park my car for months on end, and I have some confidence in my tires not being like hockey pucks when the temps are lower.
Do you not worry about future rust or any mechanical issues that could come from driving in the salt/cold?

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Do you not worry about future rust or any mechanical issues that could come from driving in the salt/cold?
No, not really - for a few reasons: Relatively speaking, it barely snows here in western Idaho (high desert), and when it does snow it typically doesn't last long. Generally I'm not out driving my Shelby with sloppy/wet roads. I can wait a few days when they dry out. Otherwise I keep the car in the garage and drive my truck.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
So... since you're comparing it to a 13/14 GT I can answer that pretty well. There's a trade off. As you know 13/14 doesn't have snow/rain or any other drives modes. So starting and turning aren't exactly fantastic in bad conditions even with all season tires. The Mach 1 is better because it does have the driving modes and the nannies actually work pretty well in my experience. With the summer tires though you lose a lot of stopping power below 45 degrees. Both of them are terrible in deeper snow. Given the choice I would rather drive the Mach 1 on summer tires than my 13 on all seasons in bad weather. I wouldn't do it with Pilot Cup tires though, I believe they actually can crack in those temperatures.
Ps4s is a summer tire as well. Not as extreme as the cups but should not be used under 40 degrees. Exposure to temps below 20 can cause cracking in them as well.
Sponsored