Sponsored

Is there any way to display coolant temp?

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
I am surprised Ford didn't include the coolant temp in the digital display group. Is there anyway to see the ECT other than the C-H temp gauge.

Thanks,

Jim
Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I am surprised Ford didn't include the coolant temp in the digital display group. Is there anyway to see the ECT other than the C-H temp gauge.

Thanks,

Jim
My '19 shows coolant temp [cylinder head temp], oil temp, trans temp, diff temp, and something else in the same menu.

Last edited:

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Yes, cylinder head temp is the same. Not sure why they would use this wording.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, cylinder head temp is the same. Not sure why they would use this wording.
I suppose there is a delta between the two actual temps but I cant image it is much.

OP
OP
meterman

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785

Sponsored

Matthew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Leadfoot Grey GT350
I use a BlueDriver obd2 scan tool and the app and can definitely say cylinderhead temp and coolant temp are not the same. App shows real time for just about any parameter measured by the ecu. Coolant temp on the app usually shows 189deg to 196deg. Cylinderhead temp is usually 210deg.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I use a BlueDriver obd2 scan tool and the app and can definitely say cylinderhead temp and coolant temp are not the same. App shows real time for just about any parameter measured by the ecu. Coolant temp on the app usually shows 189deg to 196deg. Cylinderhead temp is usually 210deg.
Since the thermostat is 192° (I've also seen 190° listed), that is about as low as you're ever gonna see (mechanical so it certainly wont be perfect). 196° as a high point with a 192° thermostat seems highly unlikely unless driving in a very cool climate and conservatively unless Ford has come up with the ultimate cooling system.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
There is absolutely a different in CHTs and water temps. At lower temps, probably not much. But when I overheated my car in March at COTA coolant was much lower than CHTs. I plan to add a proper coolant temp sensor this year and measure the real difference.

Keep in mind the car measures CHTs at its hottest places (back of the heads), so that will be slightly skewed.

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
There is absolutely a different in CHTs and water temps. At lower temps, probably not much. But when I overheated my car in March at COTA coolant was much lower than CHTs. I plan to add a proper coolant temp sensor this year and measure the real difference.

Keep in mind the car measures CHTs at its hottest places (back of the heads), so that will be slightly skewed.
Is it something you could pull from something like the Torque app without breaking the bank? Doesnt help if something else is already plugged into the OBD port I suppose.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My AIM Solo II DL is able to pull it, so I imagine something like the Torque app could pull it if configured to do so. That said, I don't know how they calculate it. I only know my AIM was measuring temps at 250 when CHTs spiked at 273 according to the dash. So somehow it's getting different numbers.

Sponsored

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My AIM Solo II DL is able to pull it, so I imagine something like the Torque app could pull it if configured to do so. That said, I don't know how they calculate it. I only know my AIM was measuring temps at 250 when CHTs spiked at 273 according to the dash. So somehow it's getting different numbers.
Makes sense that the CHT is hotter than the coolant, they cant be the same or reversed. I thought the CHT was a coolant sensor mounted in the head though, not something that monitored the temp of the actual head. If that is mounted at the back of the head, then the coolant has already traveled a long ways from the radiator so that makes sense as well I guess.

Voodoo Velocity

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
The AIM Solo is to the @honeybadger , as is Hans Solo is to the Chewbacca?

Discuss.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
meterman

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
Well as long as CHT does get too high then I know my ECT is ok. Last time on the track I kept an eye on CHT and it never went above 230 and it was a really hot day, mid 80’s. I need to see if TrackAddict will grab it from my wireless OBDLink since I’m already plugged into my OBDII port.
Sponsored