Sponsored

Is there any mechanical explanation for the Gen 3 Coyote BBQ tick?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I heard the actual tick on someone’s car only once out of many Mustangs. It did sound terrible and very awkward. I’d probably cover the car with horse shit, and light it on fire if my engine sounded like that. :)
Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Happens to the f150 guys too. Not just a mustang thing.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Funny it would have blown up by now if it was a problem.
Enjoy the car, it a V8 and they won't be around too much longer.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
knock on wood, but i just got my oil changed in my ‘21 like 3 weeks ago, and i don’t hear it. and i hear everything lol. they switched to 5w30 i think for ‘21, and some people said the heavier oil made it not do it, but who knows.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
There are *many* explanations for the tick! ;) The big question is what are you going to do as a result of whatever answers you get?

#1 - you take it to the dealer and either get "it's normal", or they get approval to dismantle your car to install a new short block (that will tick soon).

#2 - you put in an oil additive that lightens your wallet and makes you feel happy. Maybe it stops the tick. Btw, there is no liquid moly, not at any temperature our engines will see since the molten aluminum was poured.

#3 - you ignore it and drive it. Like the hundreds of thousands of other Coyotes that also tick it runs fine for over 100,000 miles.

By the time you have read all the posts, videos, and other articles on the tick your car will have 100,000 miles on it. ;)

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen several "Opinions" on the matter. The majority of builders I have read, viewed, talked to over the last few years, is the clearances are tight and it is a slight "rubbing" along the connecting rods at the crank. For me, that explains why zinc coating additives relief the issue.

But then again I don't know shit from f**k-all, so take it as you will.

No.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have seen several "Opinions" on the matter. The majority of builders I have read, viewed, talked to over the last few years, is the clearances are tight and it is a slight "rubbing" along the connecting rods at the crank. For me, that explains why zinc coating additives relief the issue.

But then again I don't know shit from f**k-all, so take it as you will.

No.
I'm pretty sure that any "rubbing" of con rods wouldn't go away as rpm increases. Metal expands with heat and the contact would only get worse. At best you'd end up with a spun rod bearing immediately, at worse you'd end up with all kinds of trash in the oil, which got fed to your engine causing a different but more catastrophic failure.

Haven't heard that opinion, considering the rods looks like toothpicks compared to aftermarket rods, then there should be some clanking in those engines with oftermarket rods.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Happens to the f150 guys too. Not just a mustang thing.
Truth. My gen 3 F150 sounded like shit till I quit running 5w20 and went to 5w30 and the Liquimoly Cera tec. Then it quieted down significantly. I traded for my Mustang at a little over 100k and it was still running great and quiet as can be.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I had the tick after my first oil change at 5500miles. Let me first say it's not bitching or complaining when a 50k car sounds like that. Second, try to trade it in with that noise and you will at the very least not get the full amount it's worth. I've read posts about F150s making the sound and they couldn't get a decent trade amount, even at a ford dealer.

As for the what and why...it has to be from the difference in oil type/weight used in the car from the factory to what service departments use. I paid for a premium service plan with synthetic and I'm fairly certain that they just put in regular oil. (it would state that synthetic was used in the service receipt if they put it in). For me, I added certec and it went away magically. I put it in on the recommendations from many others...so the issue has to be from oil. Maybe the 3rd GEN engine has some component that needs that extra viscosity...not sure.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I had the tick after my first oil change at 5500miles. Let me first say it's not bitching or complaining when a 50k car sounds like that. Second, try to trade it in with that noise and you will at the very least not get the full amount it's worth. I've read posts about F150s making the sound and they couldn't get a decent trade amount, even at a ford dealer.

As for the what and why...it has to be from the difference in oil type/weight used in the car from the factory to what service departments use. I paid for a premium service plan with synthetic and I'm fairly certain that they just put in regular oil. (it would state that synthetic was used in the service receipt if they put it in). For me, I added certec and it went away magically. I put it in on the recommendations from many others...so the issue has to be from oil. Maybe the 3rd GEN engine has some component that needs that extra viscosity...not sure.
No Joe, it's not the oil. This has been discussed ad infinitum. Folks have used 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-20, 10W-30, 10W-40, & 10W-50. Some have had the tick from the get go, some after the first change, some the second. Some do not have it at all. Every time someone thinks they nailed it the reason has been discussed and dismissed. It will be the never ending mystery.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
No Joe, it's not the oil. This has been discussed ad infinitum. Folks have used 5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-20, 10W-30, 10W-40, & 10W-50. Some have had the tick from the get go, some after the first change, some the second. Some do not have it at all. Every time someone thinks they nailed it the reason has been discussed and dismissed. It will be the never ending mystery.
dunno how many people say oil, oil+additive+higher weight oil, etc....
trust this guy it aint the oil....

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Somewhere there's a ford engineer laughing...
They just got laid off. The universe works in strange ways.

As for oil, I recommend the "Coyote Cocktail": 1 quart of each of the major brands topped off with 1 quart of the house brands at Walmart/Costco/whoever.
Sponsored