Sponsored

Is there an oil filter (canned or cartridge) shelf life?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Does anyone know any facts regarding oil filter (canned and cartridge) shelf life?

Shelf life as in this example:
  • Filter (canned) purchased more than 5-10 years ago
  • Still remains in original box/carton
  • Has been in dry storage inside garage​
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; I do not have an answer backed up by testing but do have a bit of personal experience. About three to five years ago the filters that fit my pickup were on clearance at a store. I bought all of them, maybe six or so. I drive fewer miles a year so do an oil change generally once a year. So far the filters are working fine.
I guess the gasket might be the only thing to go bad. So far no leaks. Are you concerned about the inside filter material?

CS19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
No scientific data but I have bought several of the NOS Purolator sealed canister (bypass) oil filters that are used on many 1930- 1960 American engines. I've never had any problem or reason to question these many decades old filters. As long as they're closed with cellophane or such to keep the open ends clean I believe them to be ok to use. Hopefully, there is some evidence to confirm this.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I mean, the rubber gasket will probably petrify eventually. But anything in the last 20 years should be just fine to use if it was stored properly.
Sponsored