Sponsored

Is there a way to remove the oil filter without making a mess?

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
And before you say it using a screw driver to poke a hole tp drain it doesnt count. I dont want to take the risk of filter staying stuckfor some reason and with the hole car needs a tow truck to the dealer.

Also for the life of me i cant find a way to put a torque wrench and the filter adapter there without one of them making an angle. I tried reaching it through from the suspension side with a long extension but its the same problem, the wrench and the filter arent 90 degree to each other. I could use a flex head yes and thst works but then the torque wrench wont be accurate.
Sponsored

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Break the filter loose then poke a hole in the filter? There is still oil backed up behind the check valve so a mess will be made. Taking it to a mechanic you trust is the only other way to avoid getting dirty.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Break the filter loose then poke a hole in the filter? There is still oil backed up behind the check valve so a mess will be made. Taking it to a mechanic you trust is the only other way to avoid getting dirty.
I dont want to poke a hole.

How will mechanic not make a mess?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
I use this exact piece from Amazon ($12): http://a.co/iEnwymR
The one that came from the factory is a show piece only, I don't think it is meant to be used. :lol::headbonk:

And something very similar to this torque wrench: http://a.co/28WTgyb
Disclaimer- The one in this link is a newer version and reviews are crap, I have had my original one for 20+ years, works great.
It fits through the little plastic door on the front underbody shield.

As far as not making a mess.... not so sure, I have done the punch in the filter thing and still ended up with a bit of a mess. Have heard others say to put a bag around it, but have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I have changed my oil 3x now and the above works well for me. No need for flex head adapters or anything fancy.

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Many ways to do this. 1. Remove under tray, full access. 2. Use a funnel or something fashioned to form a funnel and catch the oil aka form-a-funnel. 3. lol have someone else do it. There will always be a little oil you will still have to clean up. Tq wrench just add 5 more ft lbs or use the formulas.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp

Thank you, that link is great but for the application I need it for (15 degrees), it doesnt have a formula and says to use something workshop manual specifies. Do you happen to know what that is?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I use this exact piece from Amazon ($12): http://a.co/iEnwymR
The one that came from the factory is a show piece only, I don't think it is meant to be used. :lol::headbonk:

And something very similar to this torque wrench: http://a.co/28WTgyb
Disclaimer- The one in this link is a newer version and reviews are crap, I have had my original one for 20+ years, works great.
It fits through the little plastic door on the front underbody shield.

As far as not making a mess.... not so sure, I have done the punch in the filter thing and still ended up with a bit of a mess. Have heard others say to put a bag around it, but have no idea WTF they are talking about.

I have changed my oil 3x now and the above works well for me. No need for flex head adapters or anything fancy.
Thats the adapter I use as well. I have 2 torque wrenches, one is defalco the other is precision instruments. Both are very expensive and both have this problem. Actually if I use the access door its not so bad but it takes forever because you can only do small turns before you hit that cross member:(

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Use a ratchet to remove the filter and put it on, only need a torque wrench for the last 1/2 turn or so for the install. This is not a difficult or messy operation if you do it right.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
And before you say it using a screw driver to poke a hole tp drain it doesnt count. I dont want to take the risk of filter staying stuckfor some reason and with the hole car needs a tow truck to the dealer.

Also for the life of me i cant find a way to put a torque wrench and the filter adapter there without one of them making an angle. I tried reaching it through from the suspension side with a long extension but its the same problem, the wrench and the filter arent 90 degree to each other. I could use a flex head yes and thst works but then the torque wrench wont be accurate.
I put a "flex funnel" under my filter to direct the oil down into my drain pan, and then I line the undertray all the way around the opening with a triple layer of paper shop towels. Filter makes a mess as usual, but most of the oil ends up in the drain pan, and what doesn't is on the paper towels. Clean up is quick and easy.

The Assenmacher M 0219 filter wrench that I bought about a decade ago is identical to the Ford one, except it has a 3/8" square drive in the top. It snaps directly onto my torque wrench and it fits perfectly. It doesn't require a flex or any other gymnastics.

The Ford AST M 0219 don't have the square drive, and the AST website photo doesn't show it, so a new AST is not a solution. A little online shopping is sure to turn one up that has the square drive and that's cast, not stamped. The original application for this part is a Mercedes cartridge filter housing, and the torque rating for those is 25 n-m, which is 18 ft-lbs, so it's strong enough for the GT350 torque requirement. Stamped or plastic filter wrenches may not be strong enough.

Last edited:

TRS7139

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flexible-Draining-Tool/dp/B017MTFIYE/

It takes a little while to form it in a way so it stays in place and drains right but it makes such a big difference. Last time I only had a few drops to clean out and my hands were so much cleaner.
+1
These things work well. I pack a few paper towels in behind it, I think about a tabelspoon of oil escaped and the filter slides right down and out as well.
Once everything is in place with lose filter, slip on a par of nitrile gloves and not even dirty hands.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
When I change my oil this spring, I'm debating whether I should even change the filter - it will only have ~2500 miles on it. Should I even bother? Oil, yes, filter, not so sure it's necessary. Opinions welcome.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Look at my hr361 thread. One of the pages documents a method. Remove a wheel and use a funnel.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R