Sponsored

Is there a S550 Mach 1 coming ?

Guido16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I drove a 71 Cougar XR 7 in 1977-80. Had a 351 Cleveland 4 bbl, high compression, dual exhausts, 4 speed with chrome Hurst shifter, 3.25 posi. Sneaky brown with Landau roof. Per the owner's manual, a 429 CJ was an option. I believe the Boss 351 engine had more potential for the street/drag than the Boss 302, but by 1971-1972, it was too late!
Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
IIRC, the Mach 1 was a poor man's Shelby. Meaning that if you wanted the performance goods as well as higher performance looks above the standard GT, you got the Mach 1. Yes, you could order a standard GT with the same performance options, but in most cases you wanted the look too. If you wanted a sleeper, you stuck with the GT. The Mach 1 was the mid step between the GT and Shelby GT500. The Boss 302 was the corporate alternative to the GT 350 for the road courses.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
IIRC, the Mach 1 was a poor man's Shelby.
I was there in 1969-70 and was part of the 'action'. One's financial status was but a small part of the decision for the choice of Mach or Shelby. The purchase choice pivoted on solid logical factual reasons and not the depth of one's pockets. You may not understand this, but many people felt the 69-70 Shelbys were unattractive, bloated and overloaded with too much needless cosmetic additions. The Mach 1 was far more 'pure' in design, popular in appearance and delivered huge performance value.

You must also appreciate that the country fell in recession in 1969 through 1970. Many people did not feel comfortable buying a far more expensive Shelby when the Mach 1 delivered the same performance or better. Ford had so many unsold, left over '69 Shelby's that they restamped them as 1970 model (with government permission) and continued selling the left overs after production ended.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The Mach 1 was largely just an appearance package. It wasn't Fords ultimate performance package...hell the base engine was the 351w 2BBL...the 4bbl 351's and the 428 CJ and SCJ were options. They were intended as the street answer to the Camaro and Challenger/Cuda.

The Boss 302 and Boss 429 were the cream of Fords performance crop.

Don't make the Mach 1 something it wasn't

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
The Mach 1 was largely just an appearance

Don't make the Mach 1 something it wasn't
You obviously have not followed this thread. My post was in response to other's post concerning the Mach 1. I was not exalting the Mach 1 but discussing it in kind. Before you bud in, please take time and figure out what the thread is discussing.

BTW, I had an early 1969 Boss 429 with the NASCAR engine (had the tag on the door jamb). For your information, the Boss was NOT, I repeat, NOT nearly as fast (in acceleration) as the mighty 428 Super Cobra Jet R Code (some even had the drag pack). The Boss 429 was a lovely high revving engine. The street Boss 429 was the result of homologation to satisfy Nascar rule qualification. The Boss drive like a high revving "medium block" engine. It never felt like a 'big block' on the street lacking the low end torque and 'grunt.' It was not designed for drag racing. On the other hand, the Mach 1 428 SCJ R code was a street drag racing monster. I knocked off the 440 Chargers/Challengers, (never ran up against a hemi), the 427 Vettes, GTOs, Buick Gran Sports and the 396 SS Malibu cars. Only the big block 454 SS Chevelles were major challengers back then. They were very fast cars. It was great racing then and driving skill made a big difference in outcome between competitive cars. Those days were fabulous. But we are now smack in the second coming of the street drag racing era. Enjoy it as long as it lasts.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
You forgot the 1970 Olds 442 W-30. I ate everything above mentioned with that car stock vs. stock.

Prizefighter1911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White GT with PP
That is a very condescending statement and unfairly judgemental on your part. I was there in 1969-70 and was part of the 'action'. One's financial status was but a small part of the decision for the choice of Mach or Shelby. The purchase choice pivoted on solid logical factual reasons and not the depth of one's pockets. You may not understand this, but many people felt the 69-70 Shelbys were unattractive, bloated and overloaded with too much needless cosmetic additions. The Mach 1 was far more 'pure' in design, popular in appearance and delivered huge performance value.

You must also appreciate that the country fell in recession in 1969 through 1970. Many people did not feel comfortable buying a far more expensive Shelby when the Mach 1 delivered the same performance or better. Ford had so many unsold, left over '69 Shelby's that they restamped them as 1970 model (with government permission) and continued selling the left overs after production ended.
I think you're taking that entirely too literally. "A poor man's..." is an expression (as i'm sure you know) and has no bearing on the quality of the product in question or the financial situation of the one involved.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Mach 1 replaced GT for many years.

No GT- '70-'83
no GT '70-'81.

GT started in 1982. i know because i had one. not busting your chops...just updating you :)

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The SN-95 version of the Mach 1 had engine performance to go along with the styling. Shaker scoop aside, the cams and intake changes on the 4.6L DOHC Modular really made that car fun. It felt stout because of the meatier torque in the low-to-mid range part of the RPM band. The official Ford rating was lower than what people were seeing on dynos. That engine felt good and stout around town for its displacement (Terminator engine notwithstanding).

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
That is a very condescending statement and unfairly judgemental on your part. I was there in 1969-70 and was part of the 'action'. One's financial status was but a small part of the decision for the choice of Mach or Shelby. The purchase choice pivoted on solid logical factual reasons and not the depth of one's pockets. You may not understand this, but many people felt the 69-70 Shelbys were unattractive, bloated and overloaded with too much needless cosmetic additions. The Mach 1 was far more 'pure' in design, popular in appearance and delivered huge performance value.

The 69 Mach 1 is my favorite mustang of all time. I have wedding pictures of my wife and I in my dad's. It's not a slam, it's the common man's Shelby and I love it for that. I think the Shelby was a great car too, but there's no way I could afford one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
I think you're taking that entirely too literally. "A poor man's..." is an expression (as i'm sure you know) and has no bearing on the quality of the product in question or the financial situation of the one involved.
Thank you! :cheers: I was quite surprised to come back to this thread and see that post.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Some of you are forgetting about the 429 SCJ engine option in 1971. The Mustang could be ordered with the 385 engine series 429 engine with the Drag Pack,ram air, 11.3 CR, and Detroit Locker , 4:11 gears, and close ratio 4sp trans. 1971 was the only year the 385 engine series was offered in the Mustang and 1971 was the last year for a compression ratio greater than 10.5. The Mach 1 was more luxurious than the base Mustang. I believe the 429 SCJ could be ordered in the base Mustang. The Boss 429 was not the only 429 put in a Mustang.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Some of you are forgetting about the 429 SCJ engine option in 1971. The Mustang could be ordered with the 385 engine series 429 engine with the Drag Pack,ram air, 11.3 CR, and Detroit Locker , 4:11 gears, and close ratio 4sp trans. 1971 was the only year the 385 engine series was offered in the Mustang and 1971 was the last year for a compression ratio greater than 10.5. The Mach 1 was more luxurious than the base Mustang. I believe the 429 SCJ could be ordered in the base Mustang. The Boss 429 was not the only 429 put in a Mustang.
Boss 9 was a 385 series engine.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The SN-95 version of the Mach 1 had engine performance to go along with the styling. Shaker scoop aside, the cams and intake changes on the 4.6L DOHC Modular really made that car fun. It felt stout because of the meatier torque in the low-to-mid range part of the RPM band. The official Ford rating was lower than what people were seeing on dynos. That engine felt good and stout around town for its displacement (Terminator engine notwithstanding).
And this is what I hope the S550 lives up to......something between the GT and GT350 :)

To the other gentlemen on the thread. I appreciate we're all passionate about Mustangs, but let's leave the personal insults out of this thread :thumbsup:

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I think a S550 Mach1 with a nice bump in performance over the GT is about due. No need to compete with the GT350 or possible GT500. Just something with a niche, is affordable, and with high enough production numbers so it can be had without ADM's.
Sponsored