Sponsored

Is there a reasonably easy way to tune out some throttle habits of our manual 5.0s?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
There's a couple things that kind of annoy me about the manual Mustang GT's behavior since they make the car feel very different than other manual cars:

1. The way the throttle automatically opens a bit when you let off the clutch in first gear.
2. The way the engine holds revs in neutral.

Since I've never experienced the car without these behaviors, I'm not sure if they actually make it easier to drive the car with its unforgiving clutch, but they feel weird to me. Anyone know if they can be tuned out easily enough? And anyone have any feedback on how it drives afterwards if so?

(I'm sure these things have been discussed somewhere on this forum quite a bit, though I couldn't find good answers to these questions. So thanks in advance.)
Sponsored

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Talk to your tuner about rev hang or issues that you would want dealt with. I had my rev hang drastically reduced with a tune.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Some of that throttle behavior is emissions related, seen it on other cars to one degree or another, it's there to not have the throttle snap closed suddenly which does something to ease the emissions.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Why would you want to get rid of these behaviors? These are good things to have that improves comfort and drivability.

Sponsored

EricSMG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT w/PP, 2004 BMW M3 Coupe
There's a couple things that kind of annoy me about the manual Mustang GT's behavior since they make the car feel very different than other manual cars:

1. The way the throttle automatically opens a bit when you let off the clutch in first gear.
2. The way the engine holds revs in neutral.

Since I've never experienced the car without these behaviors, I'm not sure if they actually make it easier to drive the car with its unforgiving clutch, but they feel weird to me. Anyone know if they can be tuned out easily enough? And anyone have any feedback on how it drives afterwards if so?

(I'm sure these things have been discussed somewhere on this forum quite a bit, though I couldn't find good answers to these questions. So thanks in advance.)
Thank you! These things are very annoying and "other" cars do not do these things anywhere to the same degree.

Along with the two things you mentioned:

3. I want the 'torque limiter' (aka: the delay between going WOT at the pedal and actually getting full power from engine) to be significantly reduced.

So, tuners - are you able to address these three things?

Why would you want to get rid of these behaviors? These are good things to have that improves comfort and drivability.
You absolutely do not want any 'hang' on decal as this interrupts engine braking. Engine braking is a huge part of feel and control. Just as you want the engine to respond instantly to throttle inputs, you want it to respond instantly when you let OFF the throttle. This gives the sensation that the motor is "right there" at all times.

The absolute last thing you want in a driver's car is for the car to "assist" you during normal driving as the experience then becomes diluted and artificial.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
This is a lot of reason I think we have trouble getting a good smooth 1-2 shift, people aren't used to how much RPM is held there.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
The rev hanging gets really annoying sometimes. Makes doing good shifts a bitch.

Laztug

Wanna run dyno slips bro?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Calling out OKC #1 spot after axle back install.
The rev hanging gets really annoying sometimes. Makes doing good shifts a bitch.
You have never driven a car with no rev hang.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You absolutely do not want any 'hang' on decal as this interrupts engine braking. Engine braking is a huge part of feel and control. Just as you want the engine to respond instantly to throttle inputs, you want it to respond instantly when you let OFF the throttle. This gives the sensation that the motor is "right there" at all times.

The absolute last thing you want in a driver's car is for the car to "assist" you during normal driving as the experience then becomes diluted and artificial.
Rev hang is dialed in for city driving so your rpm don't drop too much when you shift up or down causing jerkiness and shock in the drive train.
I am sure the rpm hang only happens when the clutch is pressed. Once the clutch is release, the hang is stopped. You can look at your vacuum gauge to verify this.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You have never driven a car with no rev hang.
I have owned an RX-8. The rpm drops so quick when I change gear, I have to pre "gas" the engine before releasing the clutch or I get clunks and shock the drive train.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
GSLSE20B what rpm are you launching at? Slicks or drag radials? Stock half shafts or upgraded ones.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Rev hang I think is good...makes shifting more natural and saves up some clutch life, I believe. I can't imagine the car behaving like those good ole carburetor cars.

About the throttle lag, that could be improved.
Sponsored