Is There a New Warranty on a Replacement GT350 Engine?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hello all, I've been very fortunate to have this forum as a resource prior to buying my 2017 GT350 earlier this year. The car has been an absolute blast to drive.
I've recently uncovered a surprise regarding my car though... I recently saw a thread about looking at a label under the coil cover to see if it has the revised engine and I checked my car out of curiosity. I was surprised to see it has the KA 555 AA on the label which typically indicates that it has the revised engine. This wasn't on the Carfax but I don't expect it to be.
I called the dealership that serviced the car and they confirmed it had an engine replacement last year, at 11k miles (currently has 13,5k).
This doesn't bother me but from my understanding, a new engine should have a new warranty on it? That dealership that performed the install it says the car only has the remainder of the factory warranty (roughly 1 year remaining from this date). I called Ford directly and they confirmed it only has the remainder of the original powertrain warranty. Ford says the dealer that installed it should have included some kind of warranty so they're pawning me off on eachother and pointing fingers.
This statement from Ford states I should have a new warranty on the replacement engine, right?

https://parts.ford.com/content/dam/...sandTransmissionsLimitedWarrantyStatement.pdf

How would you approach this with Ford and with the dealership? Any help appreciated.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I don't think a warranty replacement is the same as a retail sale, and that sheet covers retail sales.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
After checking, purchase an extended warranty from Ford. I had an extended warranty on my 17 and plan to get one on the 19 before the factory warranty is up. I usually want extended coverage on everything, all the electronics could be a problem at some point. That's true with any of these new cars.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
I don't think a warranty replacement is the same as a retail sale, and that sheet covers retail sales.
^^^^This^^^^
Iā€™d also be curious as to what others who have had replacements have to say.
I canā€™t imagine the original factory warranty being extended one extra minute.
Can you even buy an extended warranty past three years? I thought this was discussed here in the past few months.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
^^^^This^^^^
Iā€™d also be curious as to what others who have had replacements have to say.
I canā€™t imagine the original factory warranty being extended one extra minute.
Can you even buy an extended warranty past three years? I thought this was discussed here in the past few months.
you can extend up to a total of 8 years from date of original purchase with ford warranties. ford offers 4 diff levels of coverage. pricey for our cars, but it makes sense to me given the risk.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
The original owner may have negotiated an extended warranty during the engine swap. These are usually transferable for a small fee. Maybe do some sleuthing snd see if the car had an extended warranty. Ford would have this information and may not have come forward when you inquired.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The original owner may have negotiated an extended warranty during the engine swap. These are usually transferable for a small fee. Maybe do some sleuthing snd see if the car had an extended warranty. Ford would have this information and may not have come forward when you inquired.
I called Ford twice today and both representatives said there's normally a 1 year warranty on the replacement engine starting on the date of install but it wouldn't matter in my case since the remainder of my original warranty will outlast it. That's likely why the dealership who performed the replacement didn't add it.
Would be nice if it was 1 year after the expiration of the original warranty.

Very curious to see what others with a replacement engine have encountered when it comes to additional warranties.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
you can extend up to a total of 8 years from date of original purchase with ford warranties. ford offers 4 diff levels of coverage. pricey for our cars, but it makes sense to me given the risk.
What I meant was, I donā€™t think you can buy an extended warranty past 36 months after original purchase, even for the power train which originally covers 5/60.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
What I meant was, I donā€™t think you can buy an extended warranty past 36 months after original purchase, even for the power train which originally covers 5/60.
i think there's a 3 or 4 month window past the 3/36, but not certain. sorry about that!

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I called Ford twice today and both representatives said there's normally a 1 year warranty on the replacement engine starting on the date of install but it wouldn't matter in my case since the remainder of my original warranty will outlast it. That's likely why the dealership who performed the replacement didn't add it.
Would be nice if it was 1 year after the expiration of the original warranty.

Very curious to see what others with a replacement engine have encountered when it comes to additional warranties.
Was going to post that. 1year, 12k warranty on replacement if you have less then that on remaining warranty.

As stated above too, you can get up to an 8 yr warranty which starts from day 1 and right before it expires, you can renew it again. Depending on mileage on car at time of renewal, you can do up to another 5 years.

I did a 8 yr on my 11 Explorer and did another 3 right before it expires. Did a 7 year on my 2015 6.7 f350 and will be doing another 5 year this month as my 7 yr expires at the end of April.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
i was given a choice of bumper to bumper 5yr/75k or powertrain 7yr/100k...and they said the new owner would be responsible for paying small fee at the dealer to transfer. my guess would be the previous owner didn't fight for anything and just had the motor replaced.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
i was given a choice of bumper to bumper 5yr/75k or powertrain 7yr/100k...and they said the new owner would be responsible for paying small fee at the dealer to transfer. my guess would be the previous owner didn't fight for anything and just had the motor replaced.

I spoke with another owner who was offered the same but he also said he had to fight for it.

I wonder if it's too late for me to fight for it... it was done less than a year ago.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I spoke with another owner who was offered the same but he also said he had to fight for it.

I wonder if it's too late for me to fight for it... it was done less than a year ago.
Iā€™m guessing here, but i would think that would be a hard no, as that warranty job was completed with a different owner.

i had to start a case with ford, and then stay in contact with a regional rep to get anything done. also, from reading throughout the various interwebs, it appears ford stopped handing those extended warranties out so easily at some point.