Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
I suggest that almost every member may give you their own definition of what is the "Best Year" for purchasing a GT350 for the 6 years that these terrific 2nd generation Shelby Mustangs were produced.

With that being the case I would encourage you to come up with your own list of important aspects of what you would like to see from a GT350/R which is based on not much track time and driving your car to/from work on nice days and weekends therefore you might consider some or all of the following:

* Best chassis, suspension, steering, braking- No doubt the 2020 GT350R is the choice here but in spite of what some may say the 2020 GT350 does not get the 2020 GT500 steering rack as it only comes on the 2020 R model therefore keep that in mind.

* Best seats and interior - Of course that is all subjective and you must choose between Recaro Seats and Sofa Seats all dependent on your needs and desires.

* Best model - Would you like to own a 2 seat or 4 seat GT350/R.

* Best color - This issue is very important to me as I like Black and Red cars but also like unique colors such as Grabber Blue and Orange Fury therefore something to keep in mind when purchasing your car.

* Best body panel fit - Again all subjective but my favorites were my 2017 and 2018 cars with the 2015 and 2016 cars being good as well but subject to bumper sag before that issue was addressed for the 2017 MY. My least favorite is my 2020 when it comes to body panel fit and finish.

* Best wheel and tire combination - If want to own and drive your car on alloy wheels, smaller and less expensive tires then a GT350 will be your choice but if you want CF wheels, Cup 2 tires and larger front and rear wheels then the R model would be your choice.

* Best price - Obviously a GT350 will be less expensive than an R model all subject to your budget? In addition the earlier the model year typically the less expensive they are.

* Best engine - Again all subjective but suggest that the Gen II engines may be a little more reliable on the long term but then again most Gen I engines are operating just fine as well.

If you plan on purchasing a used GT350/R do your homework with respect to mileage, maintenance, condition, warranty and driving habits of the previous owner but if you are purchasing a brand new GT350/R then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!
GREAT WRITEUP
Sponsored

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Clearly 2017, red with black stripes. lol. Like someone said, they are all great and every owner thinks their year is best. I may be selling if you are looking.

Reactions: dps

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Clearly 2017, red with black stripes. lol. Like someone said, they are all great and every owner thinks their year is best. I may be selling if you are looking.
Like you I really like Red cars as well and especially when they come with Black or Blue OTT stripes.

DSC04851.jpg

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I suggest that almost every member may give you their own definition of what is the "Best Year" for purchasing a GT350 for the 6 years that these terrific 2nd generation Shelby Mustangs were produced.

With that being the case I would encourage you to come up with your own list of important aspects of what you would like to see from a GT350/R which is based on not much track time and driving your car to/from work on nice days and weekends therefore you might consider some or all of the following:

* Best chassis, suspension, steering, braking- No doubt the 2020 GT350R is the choice here but in spite of what some may say the 2020 GT350 does not get the 2020 GT500 steering rack as it only comes on the 2020 R model therefore keep that in mind.

* Best seats and interior - Of course that is all subjective and you must choose between Recaro Seats and Sofa Seats all dependent on your needs and desires.

* Best model - Would you like to own a 2 seat or 4 seat GT350/R.

* Best color - This issue is very important to me as I like Black and Red cars but also like unique colors such as Grabber Blue and Orange Fury therefore something to keep in mind when purchasing your car.

* Best body panel fit - Again all subjective but my favorites were my 2017 and 2018 cars with the 2015 and 2016 cars being good as well but subject to bumper sag before that issue was addressed for the 2017 MY. My least favorite is my 2020 when it comes to body panel fit and finish.

* Best wheel and tire combination - If want to own and drive your car on alloy wheels, smaller and less expensive tires then a GT350 will be your choice but if you want CF wheels, Cup 2 tires and larger front and rear wheels then the R model would be your choice.

* Best price - Obviously a GT350 will be less expensive than an R model all subject to your budget? In addition the earlier the model year typically the less expensive they are.

* Best engine - Again all subjective but suggest that the Gen II engines may be a little more reliable on the long term but then again most Gen I engines are operating just fine as well.

If you plan on purchasing a used GT350/R do your homework with respect to mileage, maintenance, condition, warranty and driving habits of the previous owner but if you are purchasing a brand new GT350/R then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!

* Best chassis, suspension, steering, braking- No doubt the 2020 GT350R is the choice here but in spite of what some may say the 2020 GT350 does not get the 2020 GT500 steering rack as it only comes on the 2020 R model therefore keep that in mind. **Base model 19 and 20 get revised handling brake programming and tires**

Thanks Harry, the base 2020 350 did not get the steering knuckle as I had indicated. Damn, I knew that. Getting old sucks

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
just buy the part(s) off Ford and retro-fit?
I thought we talked about it and it was not easy? Maybe someone remembers. I dont believe it will make the car faster but supposed to give the driver more confidence, whatever that means. Should reduce tramline but my 19 does not have a huge issue like my 16 did

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Like you I really like Red cars as well and especially when they come with Black or Blue OTT stripes.

DSC04851.jpg
R looks smaller. 🙂 Referring to another thread not long ago with the similar pic where base gt350 was in the middle and Rs on the sides. And everybody was saying how Rs wider than base model.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
* Best chassis, suspension, steering, braking- No doubt the 2020 GT350R is the choice here but in spite of what some may say the 2020 GT350 does not get the 2020 GT500 steering rack as it only comes on the 2020 R model therefore keep that in mind. **Base model 19 and 20 get revised handling brake programming and tires**

Thanks Harry, the base 2020 350 did not get the steering knuckle as I had indicated. Damn, I knew that. Getting old sucks
Tim, totally understood and just wait until you get my age and then it really sucks big time!! :facepalm:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
First.... you guys keep saying HEP. It sounds like something you don't want to catch - come up with something else! :)

On paper, the 20R has the most bells and whistles - which is what I have (toot toot) but I can tell you that it doesn't drive on the street much differently than my 16R did. A little less tramlining but that's about it. If you're pushing it, I guess you could see a difference but overall - any 350 you get is likely going to be great. Some others have noted - avoid the 16 tech package car unless you understand exactly what you will be doing with the car and also get a great price on one :)

Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
2019 and up for me...they put in the REV match starting that year.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
2020 since it's the last of them and their resale value will be higher than all the others...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If your buying it to collect. 2020 heritage.
If your buying to track. 17 or newer.
If your buying to have fun. Any year that fits your budget.
For a collector, I would argue a base R (15-18). Only 135 made and about 120 or so in circulation.