Is there a "best" Year GT350 to Buy?

docshelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2004 Cobra
Some say 2018, others say 2020? Does it make a difference? I know PO is the main concern. Probably will not see much track time. Weekends, and nice days to work, will be it. Thanks!
Sponsored

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
If your buying it to collect. 2020 heritage, or any 2015.
If your buying to track. 17 or newer.
If your buying to have fun. Any year that fits your budget.

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Generally the closer you are to the end of any series of car/model is best. The kinks are all worked out and it's as good as it gets.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
The car being properly broken in and taken care of is more important than model year. Factor in color, options, price, etc. and that's the best car for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
docshelby

docshelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2004 Cobra
The car being properly broken in and taken care of is more important than model year. Factor in color, options, price, etc. and that's the best car for you.
So engine failure is equally noted across the MY spectrum?

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
So engine failure is equally noted across the MY spectrum?
I'm going to say yes to this, as they still fail. Different failures and the user error quotient is still up there. Pick your poison. Make sure you have a good drivetrain warranty (extended) and enjoy whichever year you buy.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Some say 2018, others say 2020? Does it make a difference? I know PO is the main concern. Probably will not see much track time. Weekends, and nice days to work, will be it. Thanks!
Not that it can’t be changed to the newer style, but the 19/20’s have the swing with optional gurney flap, which I prefer the look of compared to the 15-18’s.

The older the car the easier on the pocketbook.... no matter what year you get, you’ll be happy.

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Agree with @key01 that you should factor in an extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for a while. I believe - and I may be wrong - that buying a car under factory warranty is preferable when looking at purchasing a Ford ESP.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Agree with @key01 that you should factor in an extended warranty if you plan on keeping it for a while. I believe - and I may be wrong - that buying a car under factory warranty is preferable when looking at purchasing a Ford ESP.
It’s required.

edit: Maybe not. Maybe a Ford dealer can make an exception?

29204A68-684D-4876-AA9D-AF374BBF12A9.png

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
OK, Ill say it. a 19 or a 20 if it fits your budget. Ill not comment on the engine because we will be in a very long conversation but the 19 base 350 received a lot of suspension upgraded along with brake programming, The 20 received all that and the revised steering locations (R only). The R in those years received the brake calibration and for 20, the steering locations. That being said, no matter what year 350 you get you are going to be happy with your choice

Last edited:

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Whichever year you own is the best. Seriously this will turn into a 10 page pissing contest. Those will defend whichever year they own.

Short answer is they are all good. If BLISS, B&O sound and Red seat inserts are a must, then 19/20

If they aren’t then go with the best deal on the color you like.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I suggest that almost every member may give you their own definition of what is the "Best Year" for purchasing a GT350 for the 6 years that these terrific 2nd generation Shelby Mustangs were produced.

With that being the case I would encourage you to come up with your own list of important aspects of what you would like to see from a GT350/R which is based on not much track time and driving your car to/from work on nice days and weekends therefore you might consider some or all of the following:

* Best chassis, suspension, steering, braking- No doubt the 2020 GT350R is the choice here but in spite of what some may say the 2020 GT350 does not get the 2020 GT500 steering rack as it only comes on the 2020 R model therefore keep that in mind.

* Best seats and interior - Of course that is all subjective and you must choose between Recaro Seats and Sofa Seats all dependent on your needs and desires.

* Best model - Would you like to own a 2 seat or 4 seat GT350/R.

* Best color - This issue is very important to me as I like Black and Red cars but also like unique colors such as Grabber Blue and Orange Fury therefore something to keep in mind when purchasing your car.

* Best body panel fit - Again all subjective but my favorites were my 2017 and 2018 cars with the 2015 and 2016 cars being good as well but subject to bumper sag before that issue was addressed for the 2017 MY. My least favorite is my 2020 when it comes to body panel fit and finish.

* Best wheel and tire combination - If want to own and drive your car on alloy wheels, smaller and less expensive tires then a GT350 will be your choice but if you want CF wheels, Cup 2 tires and larger front and rear wheels then the R model would be your choice.

* Best price - Obviously a GT350 will be less expensive than an R model all subject to your budget? In addition the earlier the model year typically the less expensive they are.

* Best engine - Again all subjective but suggest that the Gen II engines may be a little more reliable on the long term but then again most Gen I engines are operating just fine as well.

If you plan on purchasing a used GT350/R do your homework with respect to mileage, maintenance, condition, warranty and driving habits of the previous owner but if you are purchasing a brand new GT350/R then you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck!
Sponsored