Sponsored

Is the parts guy at my local Ford dealer an idiot?

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
So this filter can only be gotten at the dealer? Or has anyone got one say at walmart for example?
Sponsored

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
Go there to pick up an oil filter for my 2016 GT and I expect him to give me the FL500S filter that I’ve always used but instead he comes out with an FL-2121-B12.

I tell him that’s the wrong filter but he informs me that Ford changed suppliers and that this is the new filter. Is he right?

When I got home I searched online on American Muscle, Levittown Ford parts, etc etc and they all still show the FL500S as the recommended filter. Nowhere did I see this other FL-2121-B12. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

723C72F9-9ECD-44A6-97B6-DD808777E6B3.jpeg
As long as it screw on and the gaskets in the right place it will
Go there to pick up an oil filter for my 2016 GT and I expect him to give me the FL500S filter that I’ve always used but instead he comes out with an FL-2121-B12.

I tell him that’s the wrong filter but he informs me that Ford changed suppliers and that this is the new filter. Is he right?

When I got home I searched online on American Muscle, Levittown Ford parts, etc etc and they all still show the FL500S as the recommended filter. Nowhere did I see this other FL-2121-B12. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

723C72F9-9ECD-44A6-97B6-DD808777E6B3.jpeg
As long as it screws on and the gasket lines up it will work, but it seems too tall. I just use the Ford racing one.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Do not use that oil filter!!! 🤬 That is not accurate! Where do they find these people? Ridiculous.

Return that filter for your $ back and if you could - smack that idiot in the head for me please.
So after how the thread turned out, I have a question...
Can we get to take turns smacking you?

kid-pointing.gif

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
The fl500s is actually a fairly standard size filter that's used across multiple platforms. The supplier we have at work The part # for this filter is a PO2500 that we use for ford and gm products. As stated when suppliers change manufacturers part #s can and will change sometimes. It happens

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
The thread is still up for debate. If you want to use it go right ahead. It is a cross for the old part but I guess is a different size so that does not mean that it will be appropriate for other model years that are older. I certainly won't be a guinea pig in using it.

Sponsored

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
The FL500 is readily available, and what the factory recommends/requires....also, I think you could probably use an FL820 - the gasket and the threads seem to be identical, but the filter itself is a bit larger...or you can do like people in the 4.6/5.4 crowd used to, run an oil filter relocation kit, with dual FL1A filters...but I'm not sure there's any advantage outside of maybe a filter that's easier to access.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

kid-pointing.gif
I find it most entertaining that the filter says Ford on it, and someone seriously though GM would run a Ford filter on their cars the last 6-7 years...and then posted it on a public forum. And this is the first time anyone would hear about GM running Ford parts.

Slicktricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach1
I went to get an oil filter at local Ford dealership and told them I had a 21 Mach1. He came back and said they were out. I said really. He said yeah we don’t have oil filter for the GT350 5.2L. I said no it’s a 5.0. He went back and brought the right filter and handed it to me and left. I looked around for someone to pay. I went and asked a lady that worked there where I could pay and she told me go ahead and take it and don’t worry about paying for it because she couldn’t find the guy that helped me Lol. I said ok thanks.
Definitely a weird experience

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I went to get an oil filter at local Ford dealership and told them I had a 21 Mach1. He came back and said they were out. I said really. He said yeah we don’t have oil filter for the GT350 5.2L. I said no it’s a 5.0. He went back and brought the right filter and handed it to me and left. I looked around for someone to pay. I went and asked a lady that worked there where I could pay and she told me go ahead and take it and don’t worry about paying for it because she couldn’t find the guy that helped me Lol. I said ok thanks.
Ok, I will take a case of them, pay the shipping, and buy you a case of your favorite beer. LOL

Wqmaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
W
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150 EB
Had a similar experience, I wanted a Braptor hat and serpentine belt, walked out of parts department to find cashier and she says $5. Me: You got the belt too right? Her: Yup. Ok 🤷‍♂️ Fine by me.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
I find it most entertaining that the filter says Ford on it, and someone seriously though GM would run a Ford filter on their cars the last 6-7 years...and then posted it on a public forum. And this is the first time anyone would hear about GM running Ford parts.
Because Cadillac does use Motorcraft parts.

833178F4-47D8-4472-A390-3C5A5C82FCC7.jpeg

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I've still got a copy of the window sticker somewhere, but I seem to recall it clocking in at $11.5k!
That might be a tad high? My fathers new 82GT with a few options was $10,185 IIRC.

Funny thing, he bought a brand new 87’ coupe 5.0 stripped for $9998.00 out the door. Roll up windows and a T5. No A/C!

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
That might be a tad high? My fathers new 82GT with a few options was $10,185 IIRC.

Funny thing, he bought a brand new 87’ coupe 5.0 stripped for $9998.00 out the door. Roll up windows and a T5. No A/C!
Your dad new what was up in 87’…awesome.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
That may
Thanks for all of the replies fellas! Much appreciated.

And big thanks to @Crew4991 for verifying that the parts guy was in fact an idiot, lol

Honestly didn’t even know MotorCraft made stuff for Cadillac too. Always though MotorCraft was strictly Ford
[/Q

That may have been true in the "old days" when Ford parts were under "Autolite" (remember those days?) and then they became "Motorcraft". But like others (like AC Delco that used to be GM only) they began to diversify and make parts for many other popular makes. Motorcraft and Delco both make filters for Honda, Toyota, etc. and they're decent. At least they seem better than the entry level Fram filter which is very light in weight compared to Motorcraft, Delco, Purolator, etc.

Someone posted a comment that as long as the filter fits and the seal matches that it's ok, but that's wrong! Just because the oil filter "looks the same" and fits doesn't mean it's correct for the engine. Inside most filters is a bypass valve that is calibrated by pressure and should the filter become restricted/clogged, the bypass valve is designed to allow the oil to pass through unfiltered to prevent engine damage because unfiltered oil will cause less damage than NO OIL flow. I've looked at filter specs from some companies and they list the oil filter number along with specs showing the bypass valve pressure relief, etc. It's very important to use the correct application filter for your car.

Here's something interesting though; I noticed that Honda's very small oil filter is used on the Civic, Fit, Odyssey van, etc. I guess they wanted to reduce inventory so used the same filter on these and other Hondas but I can't wrap my head around that tiny filter being used on the 4 cyl. engines as well as the 3.5L V6 engine used on the Odyssey, Pilot, etc. Frankly, I wish oil filters were larger like the old ones used on the 60's-70's 289/302 V8.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The FL500 is readily available, and what the factory recommends/requires....also, I think you could probably use an FL820 - the gasket and the threads seem to be identical, but the filter itself is a bit larger...or you can do like people in the 4.6/5.4 crowd used to, run an oil filter relocation kit, with dual FL1A filters...but I'm not sure there's any advantage outside of maybe a filter that's easier to access.
Similar situation, my 2014 raptor takes an FL 820. Went to do an oil change, couldn’t find a filter anywhere. Found a FL 500 would work, used it, and was fine till my next oil change 5000 miles later.
Sponsored