Sponsored

Is the paint on these cars super thin? I got my first rock chips.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Ford's paint is no better or worse than anyone else's.

It's how & where you drive the car, and whether or not you use PPF, that matters. It's not the paint, the same shit was happening in the 1940s, 1950s & 1970s and forward. (I don't have 1st hand experience with cars from the 60s.)

People just didn't have the internet to complain about it.
Sponsored

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
yeah iā€™ve got at least 6-10 total chips on my front end already that iā€™ve had to use touch up paint onā€¦got it nov 15, 4700 miles lol ridiculous. it is what it is though, i bought the car to enjoy it, not sit around in the garage itā€™s whole life. sheā€™s still pretty with her beauty marks lol

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Yes, the paint on ALL S550's sucks - tons of threads on here about it. Don't wash it, you'll end up with paint runs. Surely don't dry it, you'll rub the remaining paint right off the body.

Just stick it in the garage and stare at it, that seems to be what most S550 owners do on here... šŸ¤Ŗ
Now that is funny!

67go

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
tacoma, mazdacx5, 22 Mustang GT Rapid Red
Alright, Alright I'll blow some more on an overpriced car and get the PPF. Last one!!!!!:facepalm::crazy:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Got my first rock chips on the hood after a 12 hour road trip. I made sure to follow far back to try and avoid them.

do these cars have super thing paint? My other cars have never had rock chips before.

anyone have any good ways to fix them?
It's not cheap, I know, but PPF is the best option, the entire front end, if possible. I'd also recommend the first foot of the roof, next to the front windshield, rocker panel area and sections nearest the wheel wells themselves, where the tires can spray material.

*Edit: also include "A" pillars, and, while we're at it, headlight lenses and mirror backs. As much as you can afford, protect anywhere you imagine rocks and other road materials hitting.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's not cheap, I know, but PPF is the best option, the entire front end, if possible. I'd also recommend the first foot of the roof, next to the front windshield, rocker panel area and sections nearest the wheel wells themselves, where the tires can spray material.
Good point. My ā€œAā€ pillar PPF (also highly recommended) included the front six inches of the rooftop. I understand some do and some donā€™t so check with your installer.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Good point. My ā€œAā€ pillar PPF (also highly recommended) included the front six inches of the rooftop. I understand some do and some donā€™t so check with your installer.
"A" pillars, yes. Absolutely.

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
after having a bunch of chips already, is ti worth putting on PPF after the fact? iā€™ve been considering it for the front end but idk

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
after having a bunch of chips already, is ti worth putting on PPF after the fact? iā€™ve been considering it for the front end but idk
Everyone is going to be different. If you intend on keeping the car for the next several years and want to keep it looking at its best, I consider it worthwhile. NJ has a lot of the same road conditions as CO and other parts of the country which deal not only with the usual, but Winter salt, sand, rocks, etc. In our area, we also have a lot of construction traffic.

Quotes are free. Take the car around to some shops which specialize in detailing and PPF, see what they say.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yes, yes, yes. Fix the chips and get it done. My 19ā€˜ is three years old and in great shape. Worth every penny.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Yep, paint is dogshit. I stopped caring honestly, you'll go mad trying to touch up all the chips. Either PPF or ignore it, lol

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Yes. Super thin paint and I hate it. Just got a large chip over my windshield last weekend, went through the black and the blue paint both. Ugh!

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
41k, no chips on the front, majority interstate driving, but I did PPF the front clip.

Richard

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
41k, no chips on the front, majority interstate driving, but I did PPF the front clip.

Richard
Yep I have 200k on my Scion
Barely any damage honestly if any. Itā€™s 11 year old PPF old crap, new PPF far superior

Iā€™m never removing it though lol it would be such a pain I bet the glue done seperated and would tear off in chunks if I had to guess how removal would go

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Got my first rock chips on the hood after a 12 hour road trip. I made sure to follow far back to try and avoid them.

do these cars have super thing paint? My other cars have never had rock chips before.

anyone have any good ways to fix them?
.... I had chips all over, one just above the license plate (????)... after a few months of ownership and taking a close look at the car I was at detailer getting PPF over the entire car. My buddy's ZL1 Camaro is the exact same he tells me as mine.
Sponsored