Sponsored

Is the GT premium worth it over the stock GT

Phatpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
I bought a 19 base GT PP1 6 speed manual. I didn't think I would miss some of the creature comforts the other trim levels come in, Mustang leather usually sucks over time, no leather no heated seats and so on. I am not an audiophile either...but I quickly came to hate that little 4" screen and I really wanted drive modes. So through ebay and the forum classifieds I sourced all I needed to make that happen and I love the car that much more. The larger screen is so much better. It was cheaper to add that than to buy it in a package too. If I need heated seats and steering wheel, we take the wife's Hyundai Tuscon, lol. I will say that I'm unsure what the drive modes really add to the experience except affecting ABS and maybe throttle response, it doesn't make the car faster by any means, so it's not like a tune. Glad I have them anyway.
Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I mainly use mine for cruising. I have a 2019 GT premium with 401a package and some other options. I enjoy it a lot.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
I really luv my premium.the digital dash and adjustable exhaust and larger screen are worth it.drive both and use the exhaust,toggle drive modes and see what you like better.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
when I bought my 2018 GT I had two choices locally. a premium Orange fury or a base Lightning blue PP A10 with 301A package. while I greatly preferred the Orange fury color the PP swayed me to the base model car. with the 301A package I dont regret not getting a premium. every mustang GT I've bought before this had to be a premium.

TheSnowmanMafia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I sat in a 300A car and decided after 10 seconds there was absolutely no way I'd buy a base model. It's such a stripper interior.

The premium cars have way more soft touch points and just feel over all much nicer inside.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
To me, the Premium (2018 GT) was easily worth it. I use the cooled seats in the summer every day, and the heated seats in the winter most days. I like the upgraded premium door trim, and the leather looks much better than cloth. Also, the Sync 3 is a large improvement over base, and the stereo, while not great, is better with several more speakers. I also like the selectable drive modes, and I have Magneride making using them that much better. The bright work and other upgrades give the cabin a much more premium feel over a base model. Oh, and the universal garage door opener is nice to have.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
To me, the Premium (2018 GT) was easily worth it. I use the cooled seats in the summer every day, and the heated seats in the winter most days. I like the upgraded premium door trim, and the leather looks much better than cloth. Also, the Sync 3 is a large improvement over base, and the stereo, while not great, is better with several more speakers. I also like the selectable drive modes, and I have Magneride making using them that much better. The bright work and other upgrades give the cabin a much more premium feel over a base model. Oh, and the universal garage door opener is nice to have.
301A makes all the difference in the world. comes with Sync3, upgraded stereo. dual climate control. drive modes etc etc.

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yes, Premium was the way to go for me.

I wanted all the small features of the Premium package. I like the (p)leather, puddle lamps, lighted sill plates, back-up camera, blind spot assist, toggle switches/drive modes, sub-woofer in the trunk, large touch screen, and interior lighting options.

I drove stripped down gub'ment vehicles for 20 years, and now I drive a small, fuel efficient car while well into my second career; so my GT is my special occasion car, which I drive sparingly at best. And with all those features it feels like a special occasion during the rare times I actually drive the thing.

I drove lots of crappy cars for two decades while raising a family so my (now) ex-wife always had very nice car to drive that was also dead-stone reliable for kid duties and family trips. Now I no longer have those concerns, so I decided to spend a little money on myself for a change.

Plus, I bought my GT used with less than 1,000 miles on it. The depreciation hit the original owner took allowed me to have a Premium optioned car for less than most people spend on a new, base GT.

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
What the Premium has over a 301A base is just fluff. Unnecessary lighting accessories like ambient lighting, pony projection lights, and illuminated door sills, and silly creature comforts like heated seats, mirrors, and optionally the steering wheel ffs.

I could've gotten every option I ordered in a 301A base except the B&O sound. But I wanted all that lighting stuff.
301A actually includes ambient lighting and illuminated door sills. It’s really a great deal and cost savings.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Eh, I didnt care for all the do-dads but many others do.

The only thing that was important for me was the cloth recaro seats and PP. I bought it with the intent of it being a track car.

Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
I opted for the premium (and performance pack 1) because i knew this was going to be my daily driver. I wanted all the creature comforts and absolutely love the digital cluster. It's a personal preference to me, but i couldn't do without it now.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
My car is my daily driver. A base feels too much like a rental car to me. So, went with the premium so I would have some bells and whistles to play with during the commute. My younger brother has an '18 GT base model. Not a thing wrong with it, but for him it is a weekend cruiser.

There's really no wrong answer to your question. The price difference is considerable, but if you're like me and had to have the extra "fluff" then it is worth it. If you just want the drive train then the base model will fit you just fine and save you a lot of money as well.

If I had it to do over again, I'd do the premium again.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Sure it is. If you like the fru fru stuff. I sprung for the extra stuff.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Nope. Stereo is the same as many of my friends with base GTs. As for the seats, that’s just personal preference and needs. .......
This is incorrect.

Base Mustangs have a horrible, ridiculous, horribly dated sound system and no SYNC 3. To get the SYNC 3, you have to at least add 301A to a base Mustang to have a system that's even 1/2 way decent.

Yes, the adjustable suspension, adjustable exhaust, that stuff is amazing and well worth the money.

I think the sweet spot is a PP1/301A/Active Exhaust car/Magneride car. It checks all the correct boxes and keeps the price to a minimum.

Last edited:

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
I had 3 choices at the time, a PP2 301A with active exhaust, a PP2 401A with active exhaust, voice navigation, and B&O sound, or a PP1 301A with the A10, Magnaride, and active exhaust with plans to swap to FR lowering springs and sway bars. To me, it made more sense to go with the PP2 401A and have what I wanted off the bat, than to get something I would have to modify later.
Sponsored