Sponsored

Is the GT premium worth it over the stock GT

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang PP2 with Triple X-Pipe
I also love the customizable digital dash. I don't know what crazy focus group Ford put together and asked if they would like a front perimeter sensor, but I believe most new owners would want one or a front parking camera.

I really like FordPass app a.k.a. the poorman's lojack. It's great to see the location of my car at all times. The app has other cool features, e.g., current tire air pressure.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
After having read through this entire thread, its amazing the amount of options you guys can select from, and the amount of cool gadgets you guys have.
Order a Shelby and the option list is quite small compared to what you guys get.
Although Ford does throw in the one Option we have to select, and that is the Gas Guzzler Tax for $1200.00... yes it's label an "Option".
Compared to my '03 Cobra, the Shelby does offer more in the option department.
My '03 Cobra had two options I believe: 1. Floor mats, 2. Rear spoiler delete.
Its a great time to be a car guy...!!!!

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
Ford is and has been very concerned about pricing the mustang out of their target customer’s market. And honestly, I think it’s getting close to that. My loaded 2001 GT was $23K. Now that same GT is 39K and doesn’t include leather seating. This is why we don’t have front parking sensors. But man I sure wish it did have them.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
^^^^ this makes no sense. 23k in 2001 was like 19 years ago. the advancements in cars and tech have been huge. just looking at wages and inflation and "stuff" that 23k in 2001 equates to about 33k now.

Sponsored

Bman5150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Mustang GT Premium (carbonized gray)
^^^^ this makes no sense. 23k in 2001 was like 19 years ago. the advancements in cars and tech have been huge. just looking at wages and inflation and "stuff" that 23k in 2001 equates to about 33k now.
well, you just made my point. The base GT is now $39K and doesn’t include leather seating. What important tech does the base mustang GT have (outside of engine development) that my 2001 GT didn’t have? You have to pay even more for the optional safety tech package. Does Apple CarPlay come with the base car (maybe it does, I don’t know).

I’m not trying to start a pissing match but a mustang GT in 2001 was very accessible to many people at 22-24k. Have wages kept up at the same pace as the cost of a mustang GT? Not sure but I’m guessing not. This applies to almost all cars now. Cars in general are relatively more expensive than they were 20 years ago. (Relative to average wages.)

Ford has to be a little worried about losing their target audience for the GT, which I’m guessing are 20-something males that typically don’t have tons of disposable income.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
we just disagree. no biggie.

most americans buying cars dont have or use disposable income. they use credit. the S550 is light years ahead of that 01 GT. later.

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Ford is and has been very concerned about pricing the mustang out of their target customer’s market. And honestly, I think it’s getting close to that. My loaded 2001 GT was $23K. Now that same GT is 39K and doesn’t include leather seating. This is why we don’t have front parking sensors. But man I sure wish it did have them.
I must admit when I was looking for a Mustang I was quite surprised how quickly the price goes up. I know that is with all cars; I joke that when buying a Porsche even the steering wheel is an option. My car listed for almost $55,000 — for a Mustang GT convertible that seems crazy to me. But there are a lot of advances on it. I felt like many of the options on my car were "gimmicky" but I really have grown to like them. I will use the heated and cooled seats, I have had others tell me once you get a car with a heated steering wheel you will always get one - they are correct. I prefer analog gauges but have come to really enjoy the digital dash, though I leave it in the standard "analog look" mode no matter what driving mode I am in.

The Safe and Smart package is nice as well. I too do not understand why it doesn't have front sensors but I have come to believe it is because we do not have the self park option. Our Fusion Titanium can self park itself and it warns when I come too close to a parking block or to the front of the garage while pulling in. Not sure why they don't include self park as an option with the Mustang — not that I would want it. I have only used that option to show others how it works, never had the real world chance to use it or I had already finished parking when I remembered it was available - that option freaks me out more than any option I have. Just doesn't seem like it should be able to park itself. its almost scary to let the car do that.

I think the Premium package is well worth it, just for the heated/cooled seats and heated steering wheel.

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford has to be a little worried about losing their target audience for the GT, which I’m guessing are 20-something males that typically don’t have tons of disposable income.
Totally agree with your point about how in 2001 a GT was very accessibly priced. Altho a 20-something male, especially if unmarried, would've gotten murdered by the insurance on it. I got mine when I was in my mid-30's.

But they were also very crude back then. Bargain V8 power. Seemed like it was just a slapped-together assembly of cheap, already available parts. Coming from a '95 T-bird, it had the same interior, but with for example the backlighting for the switches on the doors being omitted. I think they omitted all sound deadening too. Live axle. Rode rough as hell (which I liked!). Notchy dang shifter.

The current ones seem to have actual engineering behind them and refinement. And technology out the wazoo. I think my '01 only had 2 airbags, and they didn't even deploy when I T-boned someone (100% her fault).

The GT's target audience maybe used to be younger males. But they might've moved on to imports. I see the GT as probably staying where it needs to be targeted, at the now older generation who still really desires a V8.

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My guess, the EcoBoost Mustang target audience is 25-35. The more expensive GT, which starts at about $36K, target audience is 30-60.

Sponsored

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
There is plenty of information stating the average age of a Mustang owner is way higher than young adults in their 20s. It is far from that, actually around 53. Believe me, Ford Marketing knows their target market and they are going after it. 50+ folks are not looking for a bare bones car, some may in fact want that but most do not.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-n...e-challenger-mustang-and-camaro-ar186329.html

https://jalopnik.com/the-average-challenger-buyer-is-51-years-old-somehow-y-1837348482

MadDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought my GT at 52 years old.

5.0S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
well, you just made my point. The base GT is now $39K and doesn’t include leather seating. What important tech does the base mustang GT have (outside of engine development) that my 2001 GT didn’t have? You have to pay even more for the optional safety tech package. Does Apple CarPlay come with the base car (maybe it does, I don’t know).

I’m not trying to start a pissing match but a mustang GT in 2001 was very accessible to many people at 22-24k. Have wages kept up at the same pace as the cost of a mustang GT? Not sure but I’m guessing not. This applies to almost all cars now. Cars in general are relatively more expensive than they were 20 years ago. (Relative to average wages.)
The base gt is 35k the premium is 39k.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
The base gt is 35k the premium is 39k.
In my area the actual inventory of A10 GT premiums ranges from $43.3k at the low to $54k at the high. The vast majority of them are $45k to $48k. Base A10s are $39k. Cars with just the 301A package or just the 400A package without a lot of other options added on are almost non-existent.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
:crackup::crackup::crackup:people on forums crack me up.
I am same way. I have cloth in other car and day 1 had leather seats and heated seats installed

just gross sitting on leather imo. Dirt sweat etc soaks in.

leather, always wipes clean
Sponsored