Sponsored

Is Scratch-X good enough to polish out localized scratches/swirls?

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Not surprisingly my new black GT is making me a little crazy fighting small surface scratches, etc. I’m currently using Meguiar’s solid-soft Cleaner Wax in the can and it does a great job (hand application only). But it’s also a wax and who knows, it may be just filling in scratches to make them less visible?

I‘d prefer more of a very minimum cut straight polish if I could find one that does NOT leave a haze that requires another product to remove. Back in the day I used Meguiar’s No. 9 and loved it, especially on my Harleys which all had beautiful paint. But I’m not even sure it’s still made anymore, given that trying to navigate Meguiar’s website is like reading a treasure map upside-down.

So on paper anyway Scratch-X looks like it would work. Will it do what I want, or does anyone have other suggestions? Again, hand application only to small areas.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Use this for any exterior plastic - it works and it’s specifically formulated for plastic such as the head/tail lenses, and it will work on the deck lid center black appliqué section too.
1657854456031.jpeg

Don’t use ScratchX on plastics; it may be too abrasive for softer surfaces like plastics. It’s best used only on harder surfaces like metal body panels and clearcoat imperfections.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Not surprisingly my new black GT is making me a little crazy fighting small surface scratches, etc. I’m currently using Meguiar’s solid-soft Cleaner Wax in the can and it does a great job (hand application only). But it’s also a wax and who knows, it may be just filling in scratches to make them less visible?

I‘d prefer more of a very minimum cut straight polish if I could find one that does NOT leave a haze that requires another product to remove. Back in the day I used Meguiar’s No. 9 and loved it, especially on my Harleys which all had beautiful paint. But I’m not even sure it’s still made anymore, given that trying to navigate Meguiar’s website is like reading a treasure map upside-down.

So on paper anyway Scratch-X looks like it would work. Will it do what I want, or does anyone have other suggestions? Again, hand application only to small areas.
Scratch X is more for isolated areas that might need spot treatment.

If you want to stay with Meguiars, then look at both M205 -

Meguiar's® Mirror Glaze® Ultra Finishing Polish, M20532, 32 oz., Liquid | Meguiar's (meguiars.com)

Otherwise, I like Carpro Reflect and especially like Sonax Perfect Finish -

IMG_1842.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve used scratch x for years, but ONLY for small isolated areas that I’m going to work on by hand.

Used it this morning so thought I would snap you a few pics.

My front bumper cover was painted from new due to transport damage and I think they did the final buffing on the car, kindly leaving me with some buffer swirls in the pockets under the headlights and the corners where it’s too tight to get a buffer in.

They were mostly hidden, other than from irregular viewing angles but today I mostly (good enough until I do all the front end) fixed them by hand with scratch x :

1658005115443.jpeg

1658005145551.jpeg

Biggest area I would like to target with scratch x, and only because it’s to small to get my buffer in :

1658005263573.jpeg

There were some buffer swirls up in the corners (top right of the picture) - can’t complain too much though, at least the body shop painted under there, unlike ford do when they are new …

If you’ve got a black que ball shift knob, scratch x works ‘really’ well on that material :like:

My advice with scratch x :
  • Work it until it’s completely gone.
  • Any more than three applications (working it until it’s gone) = probably better off getting the buffer out.
WD :like:

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I’ve used scratch x for years, but ONLY for small isolated areas that I’m going to work on by hand.

Used it this morning so thought I would snap you a few pics.

My front bumper cover was painted from new due to transport damage and I think they did the final buffing on the car, kindly leaving me with some buffer swirls in the pockets under the headlights and the corners where it’s too tight to get a buffer in.

They were mostly hidden, other than from irregular viewing angles but today I mostly (good enough until I do all the front end) fixed them by hand with scratch x :

1658005115443.jpeg

1658005145551.jpeg

Biggest area I would like to target with scratch x, and only because it’s to small to get my buffer in :

1658005263573.jpeg

There were some buffer swirls up in the corners (top right of the picture) - can’t complain too much though, at least the body shop painted under there, unlike ford do when they are new …

If you’ve got a black que ball shift knob, scratch x works ‘really’ well on that material :like:

My advice with scratch x :
  • Work it until it’s completely gone.
  • Any more than three applications (working it until it’s gone) = probably better off getting the buffer out.
WD :like:
Thank you WD, that helps me a lot. I guess I should have been more clear in my OP but small, isolated areas are exactly what I’m interested in working. Anything getting toward panel size and I’m turning it over to a pro.

Years ago I did a lot of cars myself and developed my own system with several different cut levels of compounds followed up with Finesse-it, #9, #7, etc. plus yellow wax. All worked with a plain old heavy adjustable speed rotary buffer. But those days are long gone and a man’s gotta respect his limits as time moves on.
Sponsored