Sponsored

Is removing sound tube smog legal in Cali?

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 14 Mustang, 70 AAR Cuda
I've searched this topic here and am looking for a definitive answer. If I remove sound tube in CA will I fail the visual smog inspection? Anyone in CA pass smog here without it? Thanks
Sponsored

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
No reason you would, it only connects to the air box and provides noise in cabin.

Richard

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Believe it or not it is illegal to remove it. Sounds completely ridiculous and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of smog techs wouldn't notice or care, but if you get that one guy... Its part of the intake track and has to be there.

I capped mine off when I bought the K&N intake elbow. It comes with a cap for it and a CARB #

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Believe it or not it is illegal to remove it. Sounds completely ridiculous and I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of smog techs wouldn't notice or care, but if you get that one guy... Its part of the intake track and has to be there.

I capped mine off when I bought the K&N intake elbow. It comes with a cap for it and a CARB #
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. I just got my 16 GT and the valve is missing next to the resonator. I was worried about that one smog guy. I bought a used sound tube as It seems like you can't buy the valve alone, but it is such a PITA to get to that firewall nut. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a wasted effort.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Lots of us have CARB-legally removed our silly sound tubes and capped the firewall hole.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
99.99% of the shops would never notice it.

Last edited:

bryyce62

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G dub
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
It is not illegal to remove the sound tube. The FP performance tune requires removal, and it's a CARB legal tune.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It is not illegal to remove the sound tube. The FP performance tune requires removal, and it's a CARB legal tune.
That's because its been CARB approved to do so. Just like any other CARB legal modification.
You just can not remove it on your own without that CARB legal mod. Just like you can't add a CAI that's not CARB approved. Sure its the same damn thing as one that is approved but the powers that be here want their CARB # ($)

I probably should have been more clear in my initial reply. You cannot remove it UNLESS you have a CARB legal intake that removes it

RGV250F3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Lightning Blue , 1983 GT5.0, 1974 Camaro Mighty Mouse 415c.i.SB
this sort of thing"CARB fkn Joke" makes
me wish i was not so deep rooted in this once amazing, now crap state...

Sponsored

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
It really is. Manufacturers have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to get their products tested. Its just the state with their hand out.
What are they going to do when we're all driving electric cars? Believe me they find another way to get their share

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It really is. Manufacturers have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to get their products tested. Its just the state with their hand out.
What are they going to do when we're all driving electric cars? Believe me they find another way to get their share

Everyone driving electrics ..... :question: ....... take not this is never going to happen:champagne:

Get off fakebook and pour out the Kool-Aid...:computerrage:

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Everyone driving electrics ..... :question: ....... take not this is never going to happen:champagne:

Get off fakebook and pour out the Kool-Aid...:computerrage:
It will be a cold day in hell before I buy an electric car. But that wasn't my point, my point was that's what the state wants and they'll cut a large revenue stream by doing so. So they stick their hand out in other ways

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It will be a cold day in hell before I buy an electric car. But that wasn't my point, my point was that's what the state wants and they'll cut a large revenue stream by doing so. So they stick their hand out in other ways
Makes 2 of us :champagne: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oneaussie

oneaussie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: I needed to get my car smogged for rego. I rolled the dice and decided to remove the useless and pathetic sound tube. After capping the air inlet tube and firewall, I PASSED smog. WOOHOO👍
Sponsored