is oil separator necessary ??

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
Could anyone tell me what is the function of oil separator?
is it necessary mod for mustang?

Cheeres:cheers:
Thanks guys!
Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I debated this myself. A lot of ppl have them and swear you need one and there are just as many ppl who say you don't and that the engine will burn it off anyway. IMO I would base it off how long you plan to keep the car and how much it will be modified. If you're staying relatively stock and not keeping the car past 80k miles I don't see why it would be necessary. The engine was designed to last without one. Especially since they can potentially fuck up your car if used improperly or void your warranty if the dealer doesn't like it

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Whether it needs it or not, I couldn't say. My theory is if it truly needed it, it would have came with one. I have a high mileage '12 Tahoe with 175k miles that as far as I can tell, runs the same and still runs. Transmission went out at 155k, motor mounts at around 75k, brake booster at around 120k. If the catch can could have saved those components I'm all in. Camaro guys swear by them too.

BenGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you beat your car, get one. I took about an ounce out of mine last oil change. That would have been caked on my intake vavles and put oil in my combustion chamber. Will keep spark plugs cleaner longer and reduce power loss over the life of your engine.

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
I debated this myself. A lot of ppl have them and swear you need one and there are just as many ppl who say you don't and that the engine will burn it off anyway. IMO I would base it off how long you plan to keep the car and how much it will be modified. If you're staying relatively stock and not keeping the car past 80k miles I don't see why it would be necessary. The engine was designed to last without one. Especially since they can potentially fuck up your car if used improperly or void your warranty if the dealer doesn't like it
that's exactly what I heard and thought! thanks for your advice:clap2:

Sponsored

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
If you beat your car, get one. I took about an ounce out of mine last oil change. That would have been caked on my intake vavles and put oil in my combustion chamber. Will keep spark plugs cleaner longer and reduce power loss over the life of your engine.

Do you think it would be more helpful if my track my mustang quite often? thanks bro:thumbsup:

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I believe in them especially after the first time I emptied one! The only down side is it can void your warrantee regardless of what anyone may say. That said, I plan on keeping this car and don't count on ford doing any maintenance on it engine or drive train wise.

RomanB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I believe in them especially after the first time I emptied one! The only down side is it can void your warrantee regardless of what anyone may say. That said, I plan on keeping this car and don't count on ford doing any maintenance on it engine or drive train wise.
Takes all of 25 seconds to swap it out with the stocker vacuum line if you take it to the dealer. No worries there.

AJ ROJO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Takes all of 25 seconds to swap it out with the stocker vacuum line if you take it to the dealer. No worries there.
Right, good point, however; lets just say your oil pump stops working and you dont just keep the stock vacuum line in your trunk and you pull over shut the engine off and have your car flatbedded to the dealer......It can happen. Or you just don't think a catch can can cause any issue with a dealer because, after all, the manufacturer has them on other versions of the model you own?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451361
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451845&highlight=Catch

This was GM but it just shows that the manufacturer can pretty much get away with claiming anything they did not put there can be the cause of a failure. Unless you have bigger pockets for lawyers then the manufacturer has.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
The only REAL benifit I see for a PI car is to install one if you are getting a lot of knock because the blow by could be causing the oil to lower the octane in your fuel. Outside of that, I think they are only TRULY needed (but still not required) on DI cars that do not have PI to wash over the valves.
Sponsored