Is my Exhaust missing a piece?

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have a 2017 GT and my mechanic is bolting up the headers w/ X pipe and a pair of Roush axle backs. He called me and told me I was missing a piece and sent me the picture below. I see what he is saying but is my axleback actually missing a piece or does this need to be created? I would think the whole thing would bolt right up but I have Texas speed headers with cat deletes via an X pipe and they don't seem to bolt right up to this. Any ideas? My mechanic said he could create one and weld it up for me but he told me to ask if there is a part missing.

1622076639966.png
Sponsored

Bigmak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT
I believe the Roush axlebacks, you have, are like some other companies, you must cut the original pipe before the final bend (90) that enters into the original muffler. Your mechanic must make up a new pipe or cut the old one off the old mufflers. So, no part is missing. Corsa and Flowmaster make axlebacks with the pipe longer, so no cutting is needed.

James1980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah the Roush axle backs attach to the factory pipes. You have to cut the factory mufflers off and attach those to the factory pipes.

So you'll either need to cut and use the factory pipes or have him fab something up

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the Roush axle backs attach to the factory pipes. You have to cut the factory mufflers off and attach those to the factory pipes.

So you'll either need to cut and use the factory pipes or have him fab something up
this. if you kept oem piping til the axelbacks, it would of been good, but you eliminated it for the middle piping section.

no big deal, they should be able to fab that up like cake.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Word to the wise. The EPA, frowns on removing cats. Posting that fact on forums, IS part of why they are now coming down hard on tuners.
loose lips sink ships.
And If you think, they don't have someone on the payroll, that job is to scan though car forums, groups, what have you, you are sadly mistaken.
STFU about removing things like that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Word to the wise. The EPA, frowns on removing cats.
For vehicles being driven on a public highway yes....

Thanks everyone else, I'll ask my mechanic to fab something up instead of re-using the factory piping.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
For vehicles being driven on a public highway yes....

Thanks everyone else, I'll ask my mechanic to fab something up instead of re-using the factory piping.
Doesn't just apply to vehicles being driven on public highways now. They are going after even cars that are being used only as "race cars" now.

OP
OP

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Doesn't just apply to vehicles being driven on public highways now. They are going after even cars that are being used only as "race cars" now.
True, but you have been here long enough to know that one post about catless headers probably isnt that big of a deal considering there are thousands of posts here about catless headers 😄

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Nah, you just leave it that way and the escaping exhaust from the X will find its path to and through the muffler invisipipe... :devil: 🤣 🙃
Sponsored