Sponsored

Is my bolt-on tune worth it?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Is it worth me tuning with a cheap Flowmaster exhaust and Airaid intake? Not sure if it's been flashed as the Airaid restraining cone is missing and I was told it throws a CEL if missing.

I have no CELs and the restraining internal cone is missing. Regardless, the throttle response reminds me of factory economy mode. I had a tuned Civic Si so I know what the pedal response of a tuned car should feel like.

What's the best option to move forward? I do want to see more track time so would it be best to save maps and flash the ECU as need be for daily driving and track mode?

Thank you all.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If you don’t have plans to do other upgrades such as long tube headers, throttle body or intake manifold, I say go ahead and tune now. I would at least get a Flex and E85 tune too.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you don’t have plans to do other upgrades such as long tube headers, throttle body or intake manifold, I say go ahead and tune now. I would at least get a Flex and E85 tune too.
I do not have active exhaust and I do not plan to be any louder. I may check to see if the long tube headers are stock though.
I am almost thinking about getting my hands on the GT350 intake manifold so that may be worth it.

In all honesty, I just want better throttle response. Stock sucks. I don't need a computer telling me how to drive.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
No E85 here, so I just got the 93 tune. It is a noticeable difference vs stock.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
His is a '16. So, the E85 would require more parts than your Bullitt.

I would first of all make sure the car has the factory tune on it before deciding to tune. If you don't have it, you can go to the dealership and they can flash it back to stock.
Many people make fun of the "canned" SCT tunes, but I have run tunes from many tuners including SCT and I found on my older S550s (pre '18) that they were excellent. Tuning stock '15-17 GTs make more difference than the '18 and up. Ford wrung the car out more in the later models.

SCT has many intake configurations already built in. You don't need to tune for exhaust. Since your only mod is the intake, that's the most economical route I would take.

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I do not have active exhaust and I do not plan to be any louder. I may check to see if the long tube headers are stock though.
I am almost thinking about getting my hands on the GT350 intake manifold so that may be worth it.

In all honesty, I just want better throttle response. Stock sucks. I don't need a computer telling me how to drive.
Any good tune will give you good throttle response, no problems there.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Honestly on my stock 16 GT I got more enjoyment with stock tune with pedalmax vs Pbd or vmp tune. The tunes added very very little if any acceleration then stock. The only real diff was it felt fast because of better throttle response. But with the pedalmax I can tune it to the amount I want or off in slow traffic. And no, I could never get used to just pushing the pedal farther. I always push a little less then I wanted. My foot is too accustomed to turbo cars I guess.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly on my stock 16 GT I got more enjoyment with stock tune with pedalmax vs Pbd or vmp tune. The tunes added very very little if any acceleration then stock. The only real diff was it felt fast because of better throttle response. But with the pedalmax I can tune it to the amount I want or off in slow traffic. And no, I could never get used to just pushing the pedal farther. I always push a little less then I wanted. My foot is too accustomed to turbo cars I guess.
I have not heard good things about Pedal Max or Pedal Commander.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I did hear a few issues with the pedal commander. I had one. No issues but I like the knob much better with the pedalmax.
Sponsored