Sponsored

Is it worth picking up jack stands just for wheel changes?

Nickyweg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKC
Going to be putting my summer wheels on I’m the next few days. I have a floor Jack and a pinch weld adapter. I plan on doing one at a time.
Is it worth it to get Jack stands or do I not need them since I’m not going to be under the car?
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Using jack stands is always safer, since a jack can drop at any time. For me personally, if I'm not working under the car I won't use one. Just be mindful to keep your body parts clear of crush points, like under the brake rotor for example. The only downside is that if your jack does drop, now you'll have to replace whatever brake rotor smashes into the ground at minimum.

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I, too, do not normally use jack stands if I'm not going to be under the car. In almost five decades of doing my own work, I have never had a car fall off a jack, or a jack fail so quickly as to drop the car on the brake components.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
I, too, do not normally use jack stands if I'm not going to be under the car. In almost five decades of doing my own work, I have never had a car fall off a jack, or a jack fail so quickly as to drop the car on the brake components.
Same here. My floor jack has had a slow leak for years but it still hasn't ever dropped. I wouldn't think about crawling under the car with just it holding up the car. But for a simple wheel change I jack it up a few pumps higher than I would normally and it's still high enough to get the wheel back on and tightened up.

Sponsored

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Install the jacking rails,from Steeda or another vendor, jack one side at a time. Even if jack did failed the car will not fall flat.
Less safe and Waste of time to put jack stands under car to switch wheels.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Wheel change, don't sweat it people do that all the time. Just don't put yourself under the car and be mindful of pinch points like running your arm/hand over the top of the tire. It's a different story if you're going to be under the car or if you have to do a lot of hard-wrenching work like suspension.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
Get a quickjack. You'll always have an occation to use them.
IMG_9687.jpg
Yep, I use my 7k quick jacks for winter and all four wheel removal, I use my BMR jacking rails for quick stuff.

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Necessary no the jack will hold…. Is there that insanely slim chance something goes wrong and it falls…yes. It takes all of 10 seconds to position your jackstand, and they are very cheap insurance.

Sponsored

Doug T

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Sometimes jack stands can be a pain, having to jack the car a mile high just to switch tires. I just throw some wood blocks underneath. Like a 6x6 and maybe a 2x4 on top. Whatever fits when the wheel is an inch off the ground. And once you have the right size you're set for life.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
I have the bad habit of throwing jack stands under anything I jack up Since 1974. No lost fingers toes or vehicle parts in all those years. Safety first! IMHO. Results will vary with experience 😁

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yep worth it. Even cheap ones. Floor jacks aren't meant to hold weight for a length of time. Your jack may never fail, but if that one time it does you'll be glad you had it. Shocked that some of yous can't take 5secs to place a jack stand for a extra margin of safety.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
People are killed by Jack stands all of the time. Accidents can and Will Happen, its just a roll of the dice, but everyone
Jack 2.png
Jack stand 1.png
Jack Stand Fatalities.png
luck runs out at some point. I try not to encourage that.