Sponsored

Is it worth keeping or selling original parts?

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Guys,
I am getting my first round of modifications done in a couple of weeks. Was wondering if I should keep the original oem parts or if there is a market to resell them? I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so don't anticpate having to put the original parts back on... was thinking I would resell if there is a market or just hang onto them for a bit until I am sure all installed parts are good..

The parts I am installing are:
Cat Back Exhaust (goodbye SUITCASE!)
Steeda Clutch Spring
lowering springs
vertical links in rear
barton short throw shifter replacing ford assembly
sound tube delete

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
my suggestion is to keep everything, so when you sell the car you can go back to stock.
This will get you a higher selling price and you can then sell the performance parts.
Also, the stock parts are probably worth 10¢ on the dollar.

Then again, looking at your list, the exhaust and sound tube are essentially throw away parts.

I'm sure your replacement parts list will grow in short order!

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
the stock exhaust is worth exactly scrap metal, no one buys those. well almost no one. And I agree the stock parts are next to worthless for resale.

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
No point of keeping the stock exhaust, donate or sell for $50. Before you sell the car if you need to go back to stock 99% chance you can find another suitcase on CL.

Sponsored

packerfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang gt grabber blue
About the only take off part worth anything are wheels and tires.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
As others have said, keep everything in case you sell the car.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Keep everything except the exhaust. There generally is no issue reselling with a catback; exhaust is probably the #1 biggest mod with wheels. wheels are another thinks that wont sink your value. I cant say most "love" their OEM wheels.

Go fast and appearance stuff definitely hurt resale as the potential buyer pools for your customizations are much smaller unless you find that one person looking for it in a used car.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all of the input so far. kind of what I was expecting to hear. I don't have a huge garage or a lot of storage space, so I doubt I would be keeping all of it. I figured I could scrap metal the exhaust if nothing else. As I mentioned I don't plan on selling the vehicle any time soon...just wondering if there was a market out there for the used oem stuff... appreciate the feedback. :headbonk:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have a sound tube for sale :lol:
After being on this forum for a while.. I have a feeling ALOT of people have sound tubes for sale! :cheers::headbang::D

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Get a cheap plastic shed or something for the backyard if you have to for a few hundred bucks lol, but I'll be keeping most of the OEM stuff around when I start throwing on the aftermarket stuff to mine. As others have said, resell is potentially a factor even though like you, I plan on keeping mine for a long, long time (unless my budget opens up to trade in for a GT350 or potentially the upcoming GT500, etc. lol). Not only that, just less of a headache if some factor comes up where I'd have to potentially go back to that OEM part temporarily while something breaks, etc. Even if that possibility seems like it only has a 2% chance of ever happening during the ownership of this car lol.

EDIT - I'd say maybe the only thing I wouldn't keep are the rims if I decided to switch mine out, but then again considering that buying snow tires can still be a possibility despite my winter beater I'd probably even be keeping these rims to just use for the snow tires to make for easy storage and bolting on myself as needed.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Keep the parts to either convert back or keep to trade for someone looking to go back to stock. Sometimes people are willing to pay or trade aftermarket parts to make some of their money back.

A week after I had my car I was able to trade my stock exhaust + $600 for a Borla S-Type catback with less than a thousand miles on it.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Keep the stock resonator. I replaced it with an h-pipe but later ended up putting the resonator back on when I got a BBK Varitune Axleback. The H-Pipe/Varitune combo was too deep (Drone at 1600-1900 rpm).
Sponsored