Sponsored

Is it really necessary to change your motor oil after winter storage when the car was never started and the oil was changed prior to storage?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've never put a car in winter storage but used to put the boat up every fall.
The procedure for the oil was to change it in the fall to get the nasty contaminated oil out so it sat with fresh oil. There never was any recommendation that I remember to change it again in the spring. Considering that a marine environment is considerably harsher that what a stored car will face I don't see a reason to change basically fresh oil again.
Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
If you put clean oil in before storage, then drain it out and put it right back before driving it now you have complied with the manual :) I change mine close to putting it away. When it comes out I drive it the way it is. I've done that with my previous car for many years and never a problem.

Storing with really dirty oil isn't good due to all of the contaminants that accumulate over time. Besides cars sit on lots for months and they don't get changed before the buyer takes it home.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
K, first off regular oil changes with quality oil you won't have any sludge, anywhere. Prove me wrong. Secondly, OP your fine, let her rip.

Sponsored

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I think you should be good to go. Modern oil is much more stable and advanced. The old 3mo/3k rule has been dead for years. But yet some people still hold on to it and some auto shops still push it to make money. Alot of my customers don't drive much I tell them to change it yearly and fire their vehicles up every two weeks and let the oil and coolant circulate.

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Dumb question. I only drove my car about 300 miles over the last 4 months.

Why would the oil life drop to 65% with so little driving?

Doesn't this suggest that Ford is suggesting that oil 'ages' just sitting there? I am sure this is also old guys thinking old school too or just guessing because the owner can use any kind of oil.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I only drove my car about 300 miles over the last 4 months.

Why would the oil life drop to 65% with so little driving?
wall clock time - the '4 months' part of your statement. Assuming you're gonna drive it for the summer I wouldn't worry about the calculated 'life' figure.

Deleted member 35644

The smart thing you did: You left the car un-touched the whole time. If you had started it occasionally and let it idle for 10 minutes, like a lot of people do for some reason, I'd say change it. The oil only had to absorb what little condensation was produced after the short drive to storage, and a tiny amount of combustion by-product. Motor oil doesn't "go bad" just sitting around. The engine will sit there and 'breathe' as the storage environment heats and cools, but the amount of moisture it's breathing in during that time will quickly be burned off on your first drive. Make it a long drive, and you're golden. What you have in the pan is fine to take you to your next OCI.
Sponsored