Sponsored

Is it really necessary to change your motor oil after winter storage when the car was never started and the oil was changed prior to storage?

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Under normal circumstances, I’d say most definitely. However, as it relates to my circumstances, I changed my oil and filter at my brother’s house, drove the car less than 3 miles back to my place and parked it in the garage. It has sat there, undisturbed, since early December. Never started; never moved.

I know the manual says to change the oil after winter storage but why if it’s unused? And what of the filter? It hasn’t filtered anything, lol.

In other words, what’s the difference between the oil sitting unused in the oil pan and sitting unused in the original bottles it came in? No heat cycles have been put through it nor has it broken down.

Is it a moisture/condensation concern? Does moisture some how find it's way in? Seeing as the motor was never started, I'd find that surprising. Though it's possible, I suppose.

I’m not opposed to changing it out again, it’s just that I’m against wastefully throwing away perfectly good oil.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
I think a lot of this depends on the type of oil. Synthetic you should be good to go. If you are using regular oil, I would recommend a change soon as that breaks down much faster. In either case the filter is fine.

rcsracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP #1859
I think a lot of this depends on the type of oil. Synthetic you should be good to go. If you are using regular oil, I would recommend a change soon as that breaks down much faster. In either case the filter is fine.
I'd challenge this one a bit. Regular oil is "old". Many many dinosaur years. The water point is valid, but as noted, running the car at full temp for a bit will get rid of any water.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I change it every spring when bringing it out of storage but check your oil. Don't see any shit in the oil and it looks pretty new (new oil color obviously) then you're good.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
It's also stored in tightly sealed containers for a reason.
so the jackwad stock boy doesn't cause a Valdez incident in the store. Or it leaking all over the trunk of your car as it bangs around for months roasting in the noon day heat.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I do the same thing... Before storing for the winter, I change the oil and replace with fresh PUP 5W-30 synthetic (9.8L) & new Ford FL-500S filter. Come spring, check the oil level and add 1 bottle of Ceratec. Hence the reason for not adding a full 10L to the engine in the fall.

I reset the "Engine oil life" monitor at this point. Start it, let it warm up good, then take it for long run to work in the Ceratec.

OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I only use full synthetic.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm surprised you even use oil. 8 quarts weighs close to 15 pounds :crackup:

Seriously though, I think it has more to do with sediments accumulating from the last time it was driven.
Hmmm... You got a point there, buddy. Maybe only 4 quarts will do! :fingerscrossed:

But wouldn't all of those sediments have come out when I changed the oil prior to storage?

OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I do the same thing... Before storing for the winter, I change the oil and replace with fresh PUP 5W-30 synthetic (9.8L) & new Ford FL-500S filter. Come spring, check the oil level and add 1 bottle of Ceratec. Hence the reason for not adding a full 10L to the engine in the fall.

I reset the "Engine oil life" monitor at this point. Start it, let it warm up good, then take it for long run to work in the Ceratec.
That's almost exactly what I was planning on doing! Except I was going to drain the equivalent amount of oil out as the amount of Ceratec then pour the bottle in.

OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
short of dropping the pan and hosing it out, there's all kinds of sludge in there.
Completely agree about the sludge. But would changing the oil again (after having changed the oil AND never starting the motor) really yield anymore contaminants/sludge than what had already come out?

OP
OP
Less Weight

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No data to back it up, but I would have saved the oil to change after removing from storage.
Negative on that one. Because then you would have been storing the car for months on end with used, acidic, broken-down oil. Can't be good for any internal components. Causes corrosion.
Sponsored