Sponsored

Is it possible to just replace 8 inch screen in mustang instead of buying the whole panel?

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hey Guys

Do you know if the navigation screen works If I just replace an 8-inch screen in the place of the existing 4-inch screen? I saw a few options for this upgrade online it ranges from $799-$2k. The screen is available for less than $300.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Well the base bezel has a 4" hole for the 4" screen, and you are trying to put in an 8" screen in that 4" hole?

I think a 3 year old can tell you that's not going to work.

Also, the premium system is more than just a $300 8" screen. There's the whole processor unit behind it that needs to be replaced.

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Well the base bezel has a 4" hole for the 4" screen, and you are trying to put in an 8" screen in that 4" hole?

I think a 3 year old can tell you that's not going to work.

Also, the premium system is more than just a $300 8" screen. There's the whole processor unit behind it that needs to be replaced.

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
You got me wrong I’m not trying to push 8 inch screen into 4 inch space. I’m try to remove th le numbers buy another bezel which would allow 8 inch screen. But I was not sure if I need to consider buying anything along with it ?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
You got me wrong I’m not trying to push 8 inch screen into 4 inch space. I’m try to remove th le numbers buy another bezel which would allow 8 inch screen. But I was not sure if I need to consider buying anything along with it ?
Well if you go with the OEM setup, then like I said you need the processing unit behind it. If you go with an aftermarket unit, then it comes with all that it would need to run.

But just buying the bezel and 8" OEM screen won't work if that's what you're asking.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Well if you go with the OEM setup, then like I said you need the processing unit behind it. If you go with an aftermarket unit, then it comes with all that it would need to run.

But just buying the bezel and 8" OEM screen won't work if that's what you're asking.

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Got it Thanks

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Hey Guys

Do you know if the navigation screen works If I just replace an 8-inch screen in the place of the existing 4-inch screen? I saw a few options for this upgrade online it ranges from $799-$2k. The screen is available for less than $300.
Old thread but info may be of useful to someone. If you have Sync2 and are staying with Sync2 8" display and apim, you should be able to enable Nav using Forscan assuming you have a USB Hub with SD card slot and the Ford maps on SD card. You will need an adapter harness, bezel, mounting brackets, Forscan programming.

If you upgrade to a Sync3 8", you will need to look for a Sync3 unit that has built in NAV as it is stored in internal memory and cannot be enabled retroactively. With Sync3 the APIM has to have the additional onboard memory from the factory to support NAV. If pulling a unit from a junkyard, run the VIN through your local dealership to confirm if it has NAV. There are online threads (Fusion forums) with lists of APIM part numbers that support NAV. Note that with Sync3 updated to the latest version (Google Cyanlabs), you can use Android Auto or Apple Carplay which gives you GPS NAV from your phone rendering the onboard NAV unnecessary. The advantage of NAV from your phone is that maps and traffic are updated. The disadvantage is that you need a cellular data connection for Google Maps (though some apps such as Sygic can download maps for NAV with no data). If you go the AA/Carplay route, you can also install an aftermarket wireless dongle such as AA-wireless or a Carplay equivalent. You can velcro the dongle to the inside wall of your armrest near the USB HUB to basically update the car to 2022 technology.