Sponsored

Is it possible to have a slight pinging sound but no knock in Data log

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I have a few tunes I've been messing with lately. I usually test and datalog with the radio off. I notice usually for the first minute or 2 from start up what sounds like very light rattle or pinging sounds as I apply 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. I run 93 octance and I reverted back to stock tune and still noticed it. Never heard anything during a WOT log. I have logged from the moment I start and drive for 5 minutes. I can hear this sounds but there are no posative knock numbers at all.

Can it be pinging and nothing register on the knock sensor. Is there anything else to cause this light sound. Even possibly a hissing sound since it is very uniform.
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I have a few tunes I've been messing with lately. I usually test and datalog with the radio off. I notice usually for the first minute or 2 from start up what sounds like very light rattle or pinging sounds as I apply 1/4 to 1/3 throttle. I run 93 octance and I reverted back to stock tune and still noticed it. Never heard anything during a WOT log. I have logged from the moment I start and drive for 5 minutes. I can hear this sounds but there are no posative knock numbers at all.

Can it be pinging and nothing register on the knock sensor. Is there anything else to cause this light sound. Even possibly a hissing sound since it is very uniform.
that's what ford performance tells to those that complain on pinging with power packs. Like, that's not detonation, but no detailed explanation either.

I finally didn't trust them and removed PP2. No pinging after that.

Last edited:
OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I did see a lot of info related to the pp2 and pinging. I wonder if they saw positive knock values if they datalogged. I put mine back to bone stock and heard same. It's very faint.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Which tunes are you hearing the pinging on?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I did see a lot of info related to the pp2 and pinging. I wonder if they saw positive knock values if they datalogged. I put mine back to bone stock and heard same. It's very faint.
OP, do you have a GT or an Ecoboost? If the latter you posted in the wrong forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I used to have an Eco. I have a 16 GT now. I hear it on all the tunes. Vmp, Pbd, sct preloaded 93 tune and bone stock tune. It's very faint and very uniform volume and frequency. No knock sensor activity. Only about up to 3000 rpm.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I used to have an Eco. I have a 16 GT now. I hear it on all the tunes. Vmp, Pbd, sct preloaded 93 tune and bone stock tune. It's very faint and very uniform volume and frequency. No knock sensor activity. Only about up to 3000 rpm.
That's about the actual rpm range I had the pinging - 2500-3000 with ford tune. Some people suggested it would go away, but that did not happen in my and many other's cases.

On your pinging after getting back to stock - give it some time maybe. I fueled my car with 91 mostly and then had one tank of 87. The car detonated for like more than half the tank before it was learned. Detonation pattern was different vs PP2 though, on 87 it would detonate at low rpms at car starts from red lights and I heard it reflected from cars around. But nothing in the range like with pp2. Long ago I was using 87 regularly and had zero detonation issues, so as long as ecu is adjusted to fuel quality on standard tune it should be ok.

P.S. I wish there was explanation on what that pinging was. One theory I had - some cars have faulty knock sensors that do not react on some detonation frequencies. The situation above with my switch between 87 and 91 tells that my sensors are fine though.
Sponsored

Last edited: