Sponsored

Is it posible to loss traction with traction control on?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
For info UK cars have MPS4S in 275 :like:

Edit to add UK cars are similar to PP1 if that makes a difference too :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How's the traction control tuned in the Mustang? Will it kick in at the very first sign of traction loss, like an overly cautious nanny? Or will it allow you to play a little before it steps in?
Can you get a bit of power oversteer, within reasonable limits, without turning it off?
It depends on the model of Mustang and it depends on which dash setting you have.

Track lets the car get the farthest out of shape without turning traction control completely off. Weather mode brings in the nannies very aggressively. The GT350 nannies let the car move around more than those in the GT do. When I owned a GT I would turn the nannies off completely almost every time I got in the car when it was good weather. In my GT350 I felt the car was fine in normal mode for street driving.

Heck, I've had the GT350 on track before and left it in normal mode. If you aren't trying to drift or something the nannies are pretty unobtrusive on that car.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
How's the traction control tuned in the Mustang? Will it kick in at the very first sign of traction loss, like an overly cautious nanny? Or will it allow you to play a little before it steps in?
Can you get a bit of power oversteer, within reasonable limits, without turning it off?
Its a lot less intrusive than GM's stabilitrack, you can do burnouts for hundreds of feet with TCS off but stability control on, it only kicks in if you go too far sideways and I think that is judged by steering wheel angle. So basically if your steering wheel is turned too much it will kick in and stop you. I do have a tune, non stock tire sizes and pp1 though. A I usually have the shifter in S paddles activated in drag mode when actually doing rolling burnouts.

Grassfed65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual with PP1
I can spin the tires a bit and get it to break loose in a corner. It defiantly allows a bit of freedom before bringing the party to a sudden halt.

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
I thought I read somewhere that the Mustang is programmed to let you play a little bit and then kick in to create the illusion of a wild beast before it kicks in. And yes, you can definitely get power oversteer without turning it off! The back tires will break away before it kicks in.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I don't know about all of you but this morning was frosty on the way to work. So naturally, when stopped at a light, I turned the wheel all the way to the right as the power steering pump labored because no forward movement. Then I put it in first gear and floored it! I let the revs go all the way up and make that awesome sound when it hits the limiter and held it there for a good 30 seconds before moving my clutch foot to the side and letting the pedal come up on it's own. Luckily my traction control was on or I would have been in trouble!! It was as if spikes deployed from my tires and nothing spun at all! I kept the wheel turned even as I went up the curb and narrowly missed the light pole. Straightened her up and cut off someone else going through the intersection as I jumped off the curb on the other side. They LOVED me!!! Wouldn't stop shouting they were so happy. I'll post a video of these new sounds my car makes now. No clue why these new sounds are there, I drove in first gear all the way in to work and didn't lose traction at all. Thank God for traction control!
imagesDDZBAAHK.jpg

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Often called "dry steering", it's not good to turn your wheel without moving forward or backwards. Also harder on the tires. Saying all this, it's actually a difference many will never ever notice.

I guess I also should have disclaimed the previous post never happened and was a sarcastic remark 100%

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Often called "dry steering", it's not good to turn your wheel without moving forward or backwards. Also harder on the tires. Saying all this, it's actually a difference many will never ever notice.

I guess I also should have disclaimed the previous post never happened and was a sarcastic remark 100%
I dont think thats valid with electric steering which we have, although the tire part is true

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Stability control would have saved me on my accident
There's no way I can sugarcoat it.

With your above stated attitude it's probably guaranteed that stability control would not have been enough help. If it had saved you that time, it probably wouldn't have been enough the next time.

What would have saved you would be for you to have stopped thinking that every piece of pavement is your personal hundred-yard drag strip. Or that the throttle pedal has only two positions - either on the floor or with your foot completely off of it.

I only had to go about 120 posts deep in your list of postings before I found these two gems (emphasis mine). Stop expecting the car to cover your a$$ while you refuse to develop any sense of self-preservation.

Norm

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's no way I can sugarcoat it.

With your above stated attitude it's probably guaranteed that stability control would not have been enough help. If it had saved you that time, it probably wouldn't have been enough the next time.

What would have saved you would be for you to have stopped thinking that every piece of pavement is your personal hundred-yard drag strip. Or that the throttle pedal has only two positions - either on the floor or with your foot completely off of it.

I only had to go about 120 posts deep in your list of postings before I found these two gems (emphasis mine). Stop expecting the car to cover your a$$ while you refuse to develop any sense of self-preservation.

Norm
Stability control absolutely wouldnt have allowed me to do what I did lol, I tried hundreds of times it kicked in way too early on that car.

On my mustang its alot better. Also kind of weird you searched through hundreds of my posts but ok.. My post was to show turning stability control off IS a bad idea and it CAN save you from huge mistakes and I learned that the hard way. So I dont understand your point at all.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sivi70980 said: ↑

I dont think thats valid with electric steering which we have, although the tire part is true
Listen to the man.

Like it or not, doing that is hard on steering and suspension components (other than the EPAS motor, I think pivot points mostly). And it doesn't matter whether the steering is EPAS or hydraulic assisted because turning the tires on dry pavement takes a lot more force than steering while in motion. Wide front tires and lots of caster (like the Mustangs have had from at least as far back as 2005) make the effort required higher yet.

Most EPAS systems "understand" this, even if you don't. The assist can and will cut out to protect the motor if overheating is sensed - as enough dry steering could cause.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Stability control absolutely wouldnt have allowed me to do what I did lol, I tried hundreds of times it kicked in way too early on that car.
All you know is that you didn't duplicate it. Somehow, I doubt "hundreds", let alone on the same stretch of road.

What's worse is that if your AdvanceTrak ever does go inop (this can and does happen) you really will be up Schitt's Creek without a paddle. Again.

On my mustang its alot better. Also kind of weird you searched through hundreds of my posts but ok..
FWIW, I only went "one" hundred deep. But I can dig another 350 posts deeper if you'd like me to.

Research is one of the things I sometimes do to when replying to a post. Sometimes just to see where somebody might be coming from. Sometimes it works out to that person's benefit, sometimes it doesn't.

What I found this time was a consistent refusal to respect reasonable street driving, whether that be defined by the limits of your own skill set or by physics and the principles of friction. You chose to do those burnouts (not the car), and you chose to do a no-lift upshift on the street in an area where curbs are the normal situation. All you had to do for tire wear one was stop doing street burnouts, and it should be pretty obvious even to you what you shouldn't have been doing that brought down that pole. Both choices actively made by you. I'm only the messenger here.

Norm

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
58* morning, 7:30 am cruise after coffee, pulled out onto "mainstreet" from side street during the right turn the rear lost traction..Bye Pirelli..#NewPS4S.
Problem solved.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
True story...

This morning went into a turn a little warm for the frost I didn't notice (bare and dry everywhere else) and the front pushed out a little. Remained calm and steered a little less and coasted through with maximum traction the Conti's could muster. Overall made it to the white line of the shoulder without much drama. Traction control may have kicked in but no lights flashed. Had I continued my initial steering angle, or freaked out and slammed on the brakes, I would have ended up in the shoulder or maybe ditch and traction control would have done nothing for me. I'll also say, when I saw the darker pavement in the headlights, I did give the brakes and initial stomp before the tires were in it to lessen momentum best I could but completely off the pedal once in it and kinetic forces were shifting to the side.

Been a long time since I had a car that pushed like the nose of the stang. Even the FWD mini (lowered with stiffer sway bars) would oversteer before understeering. This last summer (first one with the stang) doing some spirited driving in Mexico on some 2nd gear twisties, I noticed the front was really light when exiting corners hot. I expect it's more a learning curve using the go pedal to modulate the balance of the car. Also, the mini handled like it had a 50 foot keel into the ground, had to work hard to unsettle the micro beast. Miss that car a lot but it's by far overshadowed by my new stronger love for this beautiful beast of a mustang.
Sponsored