Sponsored

Is it posible to loss traction with traction control on?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Is it posible cause when its cold outside and i make a pull on summer tires car starts to loss traction but traction control kicks in and i manage to control the car.
Without it hell would break loose.
Thanks.
Of course it's possible, and you should absolutely expect it to happen. Not just because you were on summer tires, either, because the laws of physics and the principles of friction govern car behavior under driver control inputs. Even my 4.6 car can blow clear through TC all the way to wheel hop, at least on wet pavement.

Electronic controls/nannies are human inventions and do not modify or grant exception to the previously-mentioned laws and principles. While they can compensate for a certain amount of human stupidity (with varying degrees of success), they can't cover everybody's ass for every possible situation handled foolishly by the driver.

So with TC and hell breaking loose as an analogy, maybe you were only in purgatory. Where things could have still gone either way. Won't be any different the next time.

Norm
Sponsored

Scott.lester1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT premium, oxford white, performance package level 1, 401a
Be careful with ANY “Summer Only” tires on ANY vehicle when temps are below 50* - your ass end will come around quicker than you knew what happened after it’s already happened....

There are warnings in the Mustang Owner’s manuals as well as any tire literature that comes with the car regarding operation of the vehicle on Summer Only tires when temps are below 50*.

My P-Zeros currently have over 36k on them - and I’ve driven on them daily 24/7/365 through all seasons. Can they be driven on when temps are below 50, 40 or even 30? Can they be driven on in same temps when there’s rain or snow? YES. Use common sense.
36,000 miles on one set of tires?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Kind of an oxymoron, isn’t it? I have no doubt that you can control your car but years of traveling on the NJ Turnpike tell me you are in the vast minority.
I know what CJ is getting at. Wouldn't exactly call it common sense, though. Possible if you're highly disciplined, foolish if you aren't.

I'd file it under the kind of umbrella statement that my wife has made a number of times to our kids and a couple of their friends - "you have to know your car", meaning its limits.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I know what CJ is getting at. Wouldn't exactly call it common sense, though. Possible if you're highly disciplined, foolish if you aren't.

I'd file it under the kind of umbrella statement that my wife has made a number of times to our kids and a couple of their friends - "you have to know your car", meaning its limits.

Norm
Agreed. But the fact that OP started this thread in the first place leads me to believe that he is in that minority I mentioned before.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Is it posible cause when its cold outside and i make a pull on summer tires car starts to loss traction but traction control kicks in and i manage to control the car.
Without it hell would break loose.
Thanks.
First I'll apologize for the meme being a bit rough or dickish. It is exactly what popped into my when reading your post though. Did you take any sort of driver education? Anyone else supplement the course you may have taken? The actual exam to get your license didn't have any questions about general driving physics? I'm genuinely curious and not meaning to really put you or anyone else down. I feel like this sort of question shouldn't be asked by anyone with the privilege of driving a motor vehicle. I don't blame you at all, I blame your instructors for not doing their job and maybe their instructors as well. This is what happens when you do the bare minimum at any sort of teaching job. I say again, this is not meant to slight anyone and apologize in advance if any butts get hurt.
NBVFJYH.jpg

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I can't even.....

Traction and stability control do not mean you can mash the throttle to the floor and the car will sort everything out.

I weep for the younger generations......

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Is no one going to mention how summer tires become extremely stiff and can literally crack open?....
I've driven year-'round on SO tires for decade now. In temps that got below 0.

No problems, other than that horrendous popping from the front end with those crap Pirelli tires. The tires just don't last long enough for problems to arise.

The MPS4s are much, much better. In normal driving they're fine as long as the surface of the road is clear.

Disclaimer; I drive "normally" when it's cold. Like a normal person in a mini-van or sedan. I don't smash the throttle and hope the car will save me.

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Jack and stands - $100ish at local parts store
Lug wrench - $20 same place
Winter wheels/tires - price varies
Respecting your environment and driving as such - education and experience
Safety for yourself and those around you - Priceless

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
First I'll apologize for the meme being a bit rough or dickish. It is exactly what popped into my when reading your post though. Did you take any sort of driver education? Anyone else supplement the course you may have taken? The actual exam to get your license didn't have any questions about general driving physics? I'm genuinely curious and not meaning to really put you or anyone else down. I feel like this sort of question shouldn't be asked by anyone with the privilege of driving a motor vehicle. I don't blame you at all, I blame your instructors for not doing their job and maybe their instructors as well. This is what happens when you do the bare minimum at any sort of teaching job. I say again, this is not meant to slight anyone and apologize in advance if any butts get hurt.
See post #4 in this thread. Dated a little over 4 years ago

Then make your own conclusion.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Holy sh.... will start to not push the car on cold nights never thought it could happen with traction control on.
It can. I wonder what would happen if someone had let's say a 1970 442 in 2020 having never driven a muscle car in the winter. I'll say this....it was clearly that experience that saved my butt that day.

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
On good surfaces with TCS on, in dry conditions and warm temperatures with good tires ,,, tcs and advancetrac will kick in and will kill power and brake thoroughly enough to not lose traction in most circumstances. Dont try to do a 25 foot U turn while going like 50 though lol. that shit wont work.

On ice though these systems cant really effectively work, your braking distances will be increased and grip limits will be decreased no matter what on worse road conditions.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
The moment I start my car, ALL the nannies get turned off. The way it oughta be. IF you need to rely on the nannies, you have ZERO business being on public roads.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The moment I start my car, ALL the nannies get turned off. The way it oughta be. IF you need to rely on the nannies, you have ZERO business being on public roads.
I used to do that but one day shit went wrong too fast and well..

XjdjD1u.jpg

Now I love advancetrack/stability control
Sponsored