Sponsored

Is it OK to mix wax based protection/shine products with hybrid ceramic products?

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I don't think you will have issues using both of those with the newer products, especially Ultimate Quick Detailer. Meguiar's as brand are about being approachable and easy to use, having their products playing well together would be included in that.
DFB you’re exactly right. I finally got a Meguiar’s support guy named Ben on the phone a couple of days ago and he confirmed that you can not only put Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax right over the top of Cleaner Wax but you can put it over any of their waxes. Further, you can use any of their spray detailers and spray waxes over any of their other products whether ceramic or not. He said that while it may or may not make sense, you can stack any of their products without doing any harm.

Interestingly though he did say that the only reason to use a wax or ceramic protective coat was to prevent UV damage and that they should be thought of as sunscreen for your car. I immediately thought about gloss enhancement, water spots, bug residue and more but I just didn’t want to get into it with him.
Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
DFB you’re exactly right. I finally got a Meguiar’s support guy named Ben on the phone a couple of days ago and he confirmed that you can not only put Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax right over the top of Cleaner Wax but you can put it over any of their waxes. Further, you can use any of their spray detailers and spray waxes over any of their other products whether ceramic or not. He said that while it may or may not make sense, you can stack any of their products without doing any harm.

Interestingly though he did say that the only reason to use a wax or ceramic protective coat was to prevent UV damage and that they should be thought of as sunscreen for your car. I immediately thought about gloss enhancement, water spots, bug residue and more but I just didn’t want to get into it with him.
Considering that all of those products are also marketed as gloss enhancers, I think the gentleman on the phone may need to do some more reading.

I'm sure you already know this, but wax's, sealants and coatings most certainly have many more practical reasons for existing over and above UV protection;

-Chemical protection/resistance
-Environmental/industrial fallout protection
-Make bug and bird droppings easier to remove and reduce possible etchings
-Help prevent tar deposits from bonding to the paint
-Help make the washing process easier and safer due to the above

And then there are the improvements to the way a car looks, offering higher levels of gloss and improved paint clarity. Some products also contain fillers to reduce the appearance of mild paint imperfections.

And that's before you even consider the tactile qualities a wax, sealant or coating provides. I enjoy the application process, I love the slickness and the feel when washing. There is also the peace of mind that the car is protected.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Considering that all of those products are also marketed as gloss enhancers, I think the gentleman on the phone may need to do some more reading.

I'm sure you already know this, but wax's, sealants and coatings most certainly have many more practical reasons for existing over and above UV protection;

-Chemical protection/resistance
-Environmental/industrial fallout protection
-Make bug and bird droppings easier to remove and reduce possible etchings
-Help prevent tar deposits from bonding to the paint
-Help make the washing process easier and safer due to the above

And then there are the improvements to the way a car looks, offering higher levels of gloss and improved paint clarity. Some products also contain fillers to reduce the appearance of mild paint imperfections.

And that's before you even consider the tactile qualities a wax, sealant or coating provides. I enjoy the application process, I love the slickness and the feel when washing. There is also the peace of mind that the car is protected.
Exactly, 100%!
Sponsored