Sponsored

Is it normal for our cars to feel like they are free wheeling a little bit when taking off gently from a stop?

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I’m taking off from a. Pressing down on the Excelerator just a little bit doesn’t produce much movement but you definitely hear the exhaust and see the RPM pick up a little bit before it starts going I’m assuming this is a normal part of the operation from our DCT transmissions?
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I’m taking off from a. Pressing down on the Excelerator just a little bit doesn’t produce much movement but you definitely hear the exhaust and see the RPM pick up a little bit before it starts going I’m assuming this is a normal part of the operation from our DCT transmissions?
Correct, the DCT is nothing more than an electronically controlled manual transmission, so what you are feeling is the cars version of you manually engaging the clutch with a foot pedal.

OP
OP
Stang 19

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Correct, the DCT is nothing more than an electronically controlled manual transmission, so what you are feeling is the cars version of you manually engaging the clutch with a foot pedal.
I kind of like it...it is a little bit like my old school hotrods from years ago with an automatic and a stall converter. Plus! We get to hear that sweet exhaust note :)

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Mine does this too, and mine also likes to do wheel hops when it shifts from 2nd into 3rd on a good press of the pedal, I snicker when it does that :D

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
A very light press of the skinny pedal (does not happen often BTW) and my car does exactly the same thing. Just barley moves like it is asleep and not wanting to get out of bed then it wakes up and says let's go!!!!!!

Sponsored

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
You may all get a good laugh out of this but I had my 18 year old daughter drive the GT500 the first day we had it. Car is so tame and easy to drive. She loved it.

Sent her off to college to keep her away from the car :giggle:

Snakecollector

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'03 Cobra (sold), '08 Viper (sold), '20 GT500
That brief moment when the car is just getting going from a stop it sounds so freaking good. Kid you not before I got mine I would find videos on YT just to hear that low burble, lol.

Yeah I'm weird I guess.
Sponsored