Sponsored

Is it normal for my battery to run out in 2-3 weeks?

VaasL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Late 2016 model, is it normal for the battery of the car to run out after being parked for 2-3 weeks?

I try get someone to turn it on and leave it at idle for 5-10 minutes or so every couple weeks when I’m on holiday but i always come back to a dead car.

Others told me their germans don’t give them those issues. Wondering if the battery might be faulty, as this is majorly inconvenient, specially in today’s day and age.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You could disconnect the battery when you go out of town. I wouldnt think a battery should die that quick though.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Sounds like you need a new battery mate. Definitely shouldn't die after 2 weeks and even after 3 weeks it should still start the car. BMWs as I understand after a week idle or so turn off certain features to protect the battery life my m2 after about 2 weeks plus would pretty much always report battery low and disable sat navigation, music, keyless entry then after about 5 or 10 mins driving it would all turn in again

My GT if I know I won't be driving it for 5 plus days always gets connected to a trickle charger

What are the repercussions of disconnecting the battery,?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on 18 days in reasonably low temps and the battery voltage is still good :

1642931360781.png

1642931382184.png

What I don’t know is what level CTEK choose to warn me to ‘Charge Soon’ (orange) and ‘Charge Now’ (red).

What I can rule out is that A) I got a bad battery from the factory and B) my car has some unexpected drain - both issues seem to me reasonably common on S550’s.

At least for my car, what I am seeing at the moment is that I should be OK (pending normal battery degradation) to leave the mustang for a two week period without too much worry.

Unless the weather and salt clear up or I have some other reason to start it up, I intend just to let it sit to see at what point the warnings start to kick in :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
It appears you need a new battery.

Also, it does seem to be hit and miss on the cars batteries. I have a 2016 GT which i purchased new March 2016, the car has only done 24k miles wise and never speant a night in a garage and I'm still on the original battery, the car only gets used a couple of times a week and some of that is for only very short journeys.

Every time I read a thread like this I think I'm going to need a new battery soon, but fingers crossed this has not happened yet - It will be sods law now that I'm going to need one now !!!!!

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
It appears you need a new battery.

Also, it does seem to be hit and miss on the cars batteries. I have a 2016 GT which i purchased new March 2016, the car has only done 24k miles wise and never speant a night in a garage and I'm still on the original battery, the car only gets used a couple of times a week and some of that is for only very short journeys.

Every time I read a thread like this I think I'm going to need a new battery soon, but fingers crossed this has not happened yet - It will be sods law now that I'm going to need one now !!!!!
yeah my 17 GT gives me a slow crank if i leave it undriven for a week or so, just a slight delay in the starting to crank but then it spins over and starts just fine. My excuse for doing the shopping couple of times a week :like:. 5yrs for a car battery is asking a lot without any kind of battery tender.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on 18 days in reasonably low temps and the battery voltage is still good :

1642931360781.png

1642931382184.png

What I don’t know is what level CTEK choose to warn me to ‘Charge Soon’ (orange) and ‘Charge Now’ (red).

What I can rule out is that A) I got a bad battery from the factory and B) my car has some unexpected drain - both issues seem to me reasonably common on S550’s.

At least for my car, what I am seeing at the moment is that I should be OK (pending normal battery degradation) to leave the mustang for a two week period without too much worry.

Unless the weather and salt clear up or I have some other reason to start it up, I intend just to let it sit to see at what point the warnings start to kick in :like:

Just to follow up, I'm now on 23 days / green / 78% / 12.55v.

I questioned Ctek on the colours / charge recommendations and they responded with :

"'Charge Soon' is based on an OCV below 12.6V and 'Charge Now' is below 12.4V

The % figure is not directly related to Open Circuit Voltage but is a calculation based on voltage readings over time, so due to that, the OCV at the moment can vary."

Which makes sense (I would have been a bit pissed if it just a simple indication based on instantaneous voltage) and is roughly in line with generic lead acid recommendations :

1643376187655.png

After three and a bit weeks I am expecting to see the 'charge soon' message at any time, especially if the temp consistently drops below 0°C again.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
WD, tell us about that battery app please

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
WD, tell us about that battery app please
Its a Ctek 'Sense' unit : https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-chargers-12v-24v/ctx-battery-sense

The unit cost me £41 and the app is free. I already have a Ctek charger which I have been very happy with so it just made sense to keep everything with the same brand.

I spotted them on a thread on here and to me it seemed like a good idea, especially for my very sporadic winter usage and the fact I never want to be caught with a battery that wont open the doors so I need to lever off the handle cap and risk scratching it etc.

It's given me a bit of confidence to leave the car without having to get the charger out. I would be comfortable with two weeks now (three at a push) where in the past, if it didn't get driven in a week I would be panicking and getting the charger out.

The nice thing is it reports what the battery is doing when its left untouched - If you just rely on a voltmeter after unlocking and lifting the hood etc, you wont get an accurate measurement as by the time you get to the battery you've already woken up a lot of the cars systems that will start to suppress the voltage that the meter would see.

Quick simple install, I did a little loom to incorporate the charging pigtail (also Ctek) and to keep everything hidden in the battery box :

1643385917498.png

1643385939703.png

1643385957514.png

1643385979817.png

1643386004429.png

Hope that helps :like:

OP
OP

VaasL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pablo
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Ecoboost Convertible
Thanks for all your answers, yeah definitely needed a battery change.

Question:

Is it safe for the car for me to unplug the battery when travelling and leaving it like that for say 2 months?

Besides obviously having no alarm but not detrimental to any of the car’s components right?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah it’s safe, but can you got run power to the car and leave it on a maintenance charger ?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Repaced my (2015 car) battery last year. I put it down to the dash cam (with parking mode) sapping the battery, but like others have said, 6 years isn't totally unreasonable. I try not to leave the car more than a week in the winter as also get other issues such as condensation build up inside.

A solar trickle charger is worth looking into. Haven't used on a car, but an absolute battery life saver for a seldom used motorbike.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Repaced my (2015 car) battery last year. I put it down to the dash cam (with parking mode) sapping the battery, but like others have said, 6 years isn't totally unreasonable. I try not to leave the car more than a week in the winter as also get other issues such as condensation build up inside.

A solar trickle charger is worth looking into. Haven't used on a car, but an absolute battery life saver for a seldom used motorbike.
solar powered trickle charger, that through the OBD port as i presume the accessories ports are all powered down when the car is off
Sponsored