Sponsored

Is it normal for a steering wheel to do this on a "stiff" car on certain roads?

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Got a fairly new 2019 Mustang GT PP1 with magneride and I sometimes have this strange visible steering wheel movement which only happens for a little bit on what I am assuming is on certain roads surfaces. This is my first performance oriented car and this could just be a characteristic of stiff PP1 suspension combined with uneven roads, so I am hoping you guys could tell me if this is normal or I should bring it into get looked at? This only happens occasionally.
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Got a fairly new 2019 Mustang GT PP1 with magneride and I sometimes have this strange visible steering wheel movement which only happens for a little bit on what I am assuming is on certain roads surfaces. This is my first performance oriented car and this could just be a characteristic of stiff PP1 suspension combined with uneven roads, so I am hoping you guys could tell me if this is normal or I should bring it into get looked at? This only happens occasionally.
It's normal. That's feedback from the road surface.

When you read about performance cars and the writer says "you can feel the road surface and what the car is doing".....that's this. Your average commuter car feels like a numb, wet noodle comparatively

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
If it has Electric Power Assist Steering, then Yes.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I actually find feedback from modern steering worse that how it used to be. This one occasionally feels like its tensing up which makes it feel like it either wants to tramline or I've suddenly hit a deep puddle. I've not had any car with drive by wire/EPAS ever get the feeling right. My Bullitt, my older Q50 and my 2014 Altima ALL had the same feeling in different levels and I HATE it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mediumrare

mediumrare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anton
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It's normal. That's feedback from the road surface.

When you read about performance cars and the writer says "you can feel the road surface and what the car is doing".....that's this. Your average commuter car feels like a numb, wet noodle comparatively
The way writers describe stuff is exactly the type of thing I thought of when I first experienced this, I expected some type of "road feedback" but wouldn't expect the actual wheel to move back and forth like that, just though it means feeling bumps and vibrations.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
The way writers describe stuff is exactly the type of thing I thought of when I first experienced this, I expected some type of "road feedback" but wouldn't expect the actual wheel to move back and forth like that, just though it means feeling bumps and vibrations.
It's all connected. Your steering wheel is directly connected to the wheels. When you turn the steering wheel, the wheels turn and impart a force on the ground making you turn.
Same thing in reverse. You hit a bump or groove and the ground imparts a force on the wheels. That force is then carried through to your steering wheel.

Same thing happens in commuter cars but you don't feel it due to narrower wheels, softer sidewalls, different steering rack, ect

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Unless you have an older model, My 2019 GT Premium has an (EPAS) The EPAS Connects to everything related to steering, ABS, Stability Control ETC.

Electric Power Assist Steering, It will not be like old school days of Directly linked to the front steering by the way of Hydraulics.
(
1. Power Steering Fluid

This is the hydraulic fluid which puts pressure on the piston in order to make turning easier for the driver. You must remember to use the proper power steering fluid that is made for hydraulics.

2. Pump

The power steering pump pressurizes the power steering fluid and causes it to be transferred to the rack and pinion set. There is a serpentine belt or accessory drive belt which turns the pump and causes it to pressurize the power steering fluid.

3. Rack and Pinion

This is a unit of components which cause the steering input from the driver to result in the turning of the two front wheels. The pinion gear is connected to the steering input shaft and pressed onto the steering rack. When the driver turns the steering wheel, it rotates the pinion and causes the rack to get pushed in the appropriate direction.

4. Fluid Reservoir

The power steering fluid is stored in a reservoir. You can easily check how much power steering fluid you have left in the reservoir indicator marks inside it. Just open the hood of your car, and it is easy to spot the power steering reservoir.

5. Steering Arm

The steering arm is connected to the wheel hub assembly. When you turn the steering wheel, it is the steering arm which helps guide the wheel components accordingly)

2019 GT

Steering 1.png

Steering 2.png

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I actually find feedback from modern steering worse that how it used to be.
Obviously you've never driven any '70's MoPars.. more fear than steer haha.

RazzaRossa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
This is no exaggeration, I had a 75 Dodge Dart "Swinger" 225 Slant 6, what a gigantic turd ball. Heater worked great, the perfect winter zoomer, I junked it in the spring.

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
It can also be lane keep assist? Or what other said that it just road feedback

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1970 Plymouth Satalite
Huuummmm? Let me think. O' Ya, I was 18 and I bought a 1970 Plymouth Sport Satellight with a built 440 Magnum engine, 4 speed transmission , Aluminum heads, hooker headers, 4 speed, a Tunnel Ram and a 850 double pumper, Positive track rear differential running N50 series tires. Yep, I know exactly what it was like. But, I have to say that was back in 1980. I remember full throttle 2nd gear racing (I think it had like 411 ratio rear end gears). Didn't realize what I had, floated a valve, parked in my Dad's barn and while in the Air Force, my kin folk came by and took what they wanted. O Well.

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
I love my GT, but I have to admit that I really miss the steering feel from the hydraulic system that I had in my 335 back before BMW went electric.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love my GT, but I have to admit that I really miss the steering feel from the hydraulic system that I had in my 335 back before BMW went electric.
I agree, but in comfort mode it's surprisingly good for an EPAS setup. Something about these cars lets me feel what the front end is doing to a high degree even though it's not all from wheel feedback. Can't really explain it.

njweatherman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Premium California Special
What steering mode are you in (comfort, normal, sport)? If you want less movement and feedback, try sport.
Sponsored