Sponsored

Is it better to buy an actual wheel and tire (used) than buying a spare tire kit

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Hey guys,

I wanted to check if it’s worth buying a spare kit than buying a normal wheel and tire
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hey guys,

I wanted to check if it’s worth buying a spare kit than buying a normal wheel and tire
Does your car have Brembo brakes (Performance Pack)? If no the standard Ford spare is the way to go. A regular tire is heavy and takes up the entire trunk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174181676086?epid=18017017585&hash=item288e097436:g:thAAAOSw-eleOduG

If you have a PP car, go here.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/getting-tired-spare-me.161729/page-3#post-3292847

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Does your car have Brembo brakes (Performance Pack)? If no the standard Ford spare is the way to go. A regular tire is heavy and takes up the entire trunk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174181676086?epid=18017017585&hash=item288e097436:g:thAAAOSw-eleOduG

If you have a PP car, go here.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/getting-tired-spare-me.161729/page-3#post-3292847
Thank you! There’s some space for a spare tire right? Do you think actual size spare won’t fit? My hesitation for not opting little donut is I can’t be driving with that for more than 50-60 miles and not in actual speed. So I’m planning to get a spare which is of same size as actual tire.

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The spare tire area in the trunk is designed for a narrow spare. Some full size tires will fit inside the circumference but their full width will raise the trunk floor a few inches.

Its not a bad idea for long trips, but I wouldn’t personally lug a full size 60 lb wheel and tire around town daily driving. I carry a plug kit and a cell phone.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can confirm that even the actual Ford Spare is somewhat sticking out such that the cover doesn't sit completely flush. If you go with a full size tire as the spare, you'll definitely not be able to use the cover that hides the spare.

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"I wanted to check if it’s worth buying a spare kit than buying a normal wheel & tire."
If you have the Brembo brakes, then, by all means, get the AA spare. If not, the OE Ford spare will work fine. While a plug kit is not a bad idea, it will not be of much help when you have a complete tread/sidewall separation @ only 6,000 miles. One other point when utilizing a spare, purchase a quality cordless impact wrench (I have a DeWalt 20v) & make sure it can work w/whatever jack you have. It will make the jacking & lug nut removal sooooo much easier. :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm that even the actual Ford Spare is somewhat sticking out such that the cover doesn't sit completely flush. If you go with a full size tire as the spare, you'll definitely not be able to use the cover that hides the spare.
My spare fits totally flush in my 2019 GT/CS as it did in my 2015 EB. If yours isn't then something may be in the way.

OP
OP

Sky006

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sky
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
The spare tire area in the trunk is designed for a narrow spare. Some full size tires will fit inside the circumference but their full width will raise the trunk floor a few inches.

Its not a bad idea for long trips, but I wouldn’t personally lug a full size 60 lb wheel and tire around town daily driving. I carry a plug kit and a cell phone.
Ya during a recent trip my tire got punctured and I was in the middle of the trip. It was the memorial weekend so all stores were closed. If something like this happens only option is to stay in a motel in the same area and wait for stores to open , get it fixed and go home. even if I have a lil donut and this happens in the middle of the trip it is no good, since I can't drive longer distance and I can't cancel the trip in the middle

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ya during a recent trip my tire got punctured and I was in the middle of the trip. It was the memorial weekend so all stores were closed. If something like this happens only option is to stay in a motel in the same area and wait for stores to open , get it fixed and go home. even if I have a lil donut and this happens in the middle of the trip it is no good, since I can't drive longer distance and I can't cancel the trip in the middle
I highly recommend carrying a plug kit. You can fix a good sized puncture in a tire w/o help on the side of the road.

Now, if you have a blowout, you're fubar without a spare.

D Bergstrom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
When I first bought my 2017 GT, I bought a 19x8.5" wheel on closeout from Tire Rack. Figured I would add a tire to it and throw it in the truck to use as a spare. Once I received it, before buying a tire, I threw just the wheel in the trunk. It took up a lot of room, so much that if I ever to go on a road trip, I would be limited on the amount of luggage I could take. (Wife wouldn't be happy about that!) I ended up returning it and going with the Automotive Authority spare.

Doug

Sponsored

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Do a forum search for a Hyundai Equus spare tire. It fits in the spare tire well. I did mine for more than 50 percent less than the Automotive Authority spare. YMMV depending on machine shop costs. Good luck.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I really appreciated the posts here, I just did the Equus solution for my PP1.

1) Check out kijiji, ebay or car-part.com (all scrap yards connected in North America). I believe 1999-2016 are all the same (19"x4").
2) I bought mine locally (when you find it grab it!) $75 CDN. The spare tire load rating is actually higher than my stock Pirelli Pzeros, so I know the tire can handle it.
3) I took the spare and one front PP1 wheel to a local machine shop and he charged me $60 to bore out the centre from 67.1 to 70.5 mm. He measured the bore and matched it, so I am assuming it is 70.5.
4) I bought the lug nuts and washers from Brandsport. They are flat faced where the regular wheels are tapered, you will need these: (I bought 6 in case a problem with one)
https://www.brandsport.com/grla-79914.html
https://www.brandsport.com/grla-73148.html

5) The OEM lug nuts have 10.5 turns to fully seat and the Gorilla flat ones are about 17 so there is lots of thread engagement.
6) I bought a collapsable ratchet and you can easily get off the stock lug nuts off AND torque the flat ones to 140 ft lbs without much effort with this little tool extended.
7) There is more clearance on the spare than the OEM wheel and after a quick drive no issues. It is 1.9% smaller than the rear wheel, so your Torsen will be fine (if you need it on the back). Works on the rear no clearance issues as well.
8) For $215 CDN I have a fully functional spare. It does fit into the spare wheel well with a small squeeze and the floor carpet fits almost nearly flat as if it wasn't there, maybe 1/4" raised. Can't really tell.
9) You'll need a 21mm socket for your OEM wheels and a 22mm for these gorilla lugs. My collapsable ratchet came with 4 sizes of sockets (2 per side and you flip it around, pretty trick).
10) The jack is not the greatest, I think I will find a metal plate so that I can use that jack to jack up the plastic pinch weld adapter, though the jack is designed to fit into the pinch weld, but I think it will end up damaging the paint under the car. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Appreciate everybody's feedback and the first person to do this, giving us all a cost effective solution!

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My spare fits totally flush in my 2019 GT/CS as it did in my 2015 EB. If yours isn't then something may be in the way.
Same here - no issues with the factory spare fitting in the tire well and trunk floor is also flush.

Putting a full size tire in the spare tire well is an option, it will work - but the trunk floor insert definitely will no longer be flush. A full size tire will sit about 2-3” above the trunk pan flooring. Since the flooring insert will no longer be flush, there will also be storage issues if needing to use the trunk for larger items.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I really appreciated the posts here, I just did the Equus solution for my PP1.

1) Check out kijiji, ebay or car-part.com (all scrap yards connected in North America). I believe 1999-2016 are all the same (19"x4").
2) I bought mine locally (when you find it grab it!) $75 CDN. The spare tire load rating is actually higher than my stock Pirelli Pzeros, so I know the tire can handle it.
3) I took the spare and one front PP1 wheel to a local machine shop and he charged me $60 to bore out the centre from 67.1 to 70.5 mm. He measured the bore and matched it, so I am assuming it is 70.5.
4) I bought the lug nuts and washers from Brandsport. They are flat faced where the regular wheels are tapered, you will need these: (I bought 6 in case a problem with one)
https://www.brandsport.com/grla-79914.html
https://www.brandsport.com/grla-73148.html

5) The OEM lug nuts have 10.5 turns to fully seat and the Gorilla flat ones are about 17 so there is lots of thread engagement.
6) I bought a collapsable ratchet and you can easily get off the stock lug nuts off AND torque the flat ones to 140 ft lbs without much effort with this little tool extended.
7) There is more clearance on the spare than the OEM wheel and after a quick drive no issues. It is 1.9% smaller than the rear wheel, so your Torsen will be fine (if you need it on the back). Works on the rear no clearance issues as well.
8) For $215 CDN I have a fully functional spare. It does fit into the spare wheel well with a small squeeze and the floor carpet fits almost nearly flat as if it wasn't there, maybe 1/4" raised. Can't really tell.
9) You'll need a 21mm socket for your OEM wheels and a 22mm for these gorilla lugs. My collapsable ratchet came with 4 sizes of sockets (2 per side and you flip it around, pretty trick).
10) The jack is not the greatest, I think I will find a metal plate so that I can use that jack to jack up the plastic pinch weld adapter, though the jack is designed to fit into the pinch weld, but I think it will end up damaging the paint under the car. Any ideas would be appreciated...

Appreciate everybody's feedback and the first person to do this, giving us all a cost effective solution!

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4875.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4870.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG
Thanks for the write up! Now - I want to see someone put one of these on the rear and do a burnout test 😁
Sponsored