Sponsored

Is high temp paint necessary on coil covers?

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
As the title says, I’d like to know if high temp paint is required for the coil covers, or if it’s ok to use regular body paint. (Also for the plastic engine cover.)

If I have to use high temp paint, is it possible to get custom colors, or am I limited to whatever is made?
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
As the title says, I’d like to know if high temp paint is required for the coil covers, or if it’s ok to use regular body paint. (Also for the plastic engine cover.)

If I have to use high temp paint, is it possible to get custom colors, or am I limited to whatever is made?
Regular body paint is fine. 25 years in collision industry

Snake Plissken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
No

High-Temp paint is not necessary. I painted my coil covers with off the shelf rattle can paint made to paint plastic. Two year later, it still looks great.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
No ..just use a good primer

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP

For the rollovers no. But i recommend using a flexible paint like plastidip.

That said all paints will crack, chop and look like shit in time

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Take a look at the temperature rating of the regular non-high temp paint and see if it exceeds 200*F. If yes, then you don't need anything else.

High temp paint is usually for stuff getting to 500*, which is nowhere near what the coil covers will experience.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Had mine plastidipped black for years. I may have gone too thin spraying it (first time doing it years ago) as it came off in small pieces and needed a little thinner in spots to melt it off, but it came right off eventually. They cant get that hot then

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra

What color are you after?

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I painted my coil covers using rustoleum primer and paint out of rattle cans. I've had them on for over two years and they still look perfect, no peeling/chipping/fading whatsoever. Just make sure that the can says that it's meant for plastic.

OP
OP

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
Thank you everyone...I found out I can buy painted coil and engine covers from RPI, and they have all Mustang colors, including Wimbledon White, available. They can do exactly what I want, and I'll be happier with a professional job. But thanks for your help!

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
na i painted mine at work with rm diamont and rm clear and they have been great for over 3 yrs
Sponsored