Sponsored

Is Dominion Raceway a fun track?

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I'm signed up for an HPDE event at Dominion in a couple of weeks. Originally I was going to end my track season with this event but then I signed up for a VIR weekend in October. I can realistically attend both events, but given the costs associated with tracking the car (and the fact that if I attend the Dominion event I will have to do a bunch of maintenance on the car before VIR), I am wondering if Dominion is worth it. I've watched several videos on Youtube and it seems alright. For reference I've only been to the Summit Point tracks and Utah so far.
Sponsored

DC_Hokie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Not a mustang
Quick note - if you already reserved a spot with Dominon's HPDE program - there are no refunds like NASA.

If you are new to HPDE events - Dominon's 2 mile track is a great little course to start with. I've been to Dominion two times and it is pretty technical. They seem to be more loosy goosy with the flags as I don't see many stations. And the concrete barriers in the first few turns are a bit unnerving until you get use to them. Basically it's a fun little track that you can get a good observation point from anywhere on the grounds. My only knock is there is hardly any elevation changes. But that might be a good thing as I seen a lot of videos where cars lose traction and hit the barriers because it becomes light on one end at Summit.

Amenities are real nice with an air conditioned lunch spot. I'll be going there myself on Nov 8th for an event too. VIR is definitely where the big boys are at in my opinion.

knighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch / 2017 GT350
I'm signed up for a Trackcross event there at Dominion on the 18th of October. Looking forward to it. Looks like a fun little track from the YouTube videos I've watched. Looking to also go to VIR in November for the SVT Cobra Club track day whenever they open up registration for it.

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Quick note - if you already reserved a spot with Dominon's HPDE program - there are no refunds like NASA.

If you are new to HPDE events - Dominon's 2 mile track is a great little course to start with. I've been to Dominion two times and it is pretty technical. They seem to be more loosy goosy with the flags as I don't see many stations. And the concrete barriers in the first few turns are a bit unnerving until you get use to them. Basically it's a fun little track that you can get a good observation point from anywhere on the grounds. My only knock is there is hardly any elevation changes. But that might be a good thing as I seen a lot of videos where cars lose traction and hit the barriers because it becomes light on one end at Summit.

Amenities are real nice with an air conditioned lunch spot. I'll be going there myself on Nov 8th for an event too. VIR is definitely where the big boys are at in my opinion.
The event I'm registered for is run by the local SCCA chapter. They've put on some good events over at Summit. I am not sure if the same people will be running Dominion.

I assume it is a bit less technical than Shenandoah? I had fun at that track but I didn't enjoy it as much as Summit Main.

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
The concrete beariers and lack of run off on initial turns are concerning to some. OBTW this is where the Track Cross is usually. But after that it fine and the back esses are fun. Now the 1/2 mile straight away really gets the speeds up, so be prepared. And yes the ammenities are good. This is a picture of the last time i was there.
20190326_135514.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
matthewr87

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yeah the initial concrete wall section seems interesting. How is the paddock area?

Cobrakit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PREMIUM PP1
I would say paddock at Summit Point course is a little larger. And the pavement was a little rough in some spots. They rushed the construction when the opened. The oval has its own paddock and there is a seperate vistor lot. This is a partial picture of the paddock.
20161023_123110.jpg

Last edited:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I remember when the paddock at Summit was gravel.
Sponsored