Is anyone gonna buy one used or CPO?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm not as fortunate as some of you(seems like everyone though), and won't be able to afford a new S550 unless I either.

1. Somehow acquire a higher paying job while being in college, or out of college in the next 3-4 years; and by then, Ford will probably have some stupid TT V6(I hate you CAFE) in place of the 5.0L. :tsk:

2. Be a complete and utter idiot, and trade in my '14 ST in the next 2 years, and even though I put enough down to have equity on the loan(the loan is less than what the cars worth) but I have no idea how that even works. :frusty:

Every day, I dream about a CO GT premium manual.

I would really love to have a new one that I ordered in the future, because it's so special and cool to think that the car was made for YOU and no one else, and that no one has abused the car before trading in; and that it also creates a special bond between you and the car, especially if it'd be your first Mustang.

It just seems like a shame to get a used or CPO car. I'm very passionate about cars, and I don't think it'd be as special or even cool. If I end up doing this down the road, is anyone else thinking about this? I'd hate to be the only one. Being young and in college can suck sometimes, and while 'education' is important, cars are just as important, or pretty damn close. :(

The possibility of owning one seems so far away, but I just like to think far ahead.
Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Patience. Your time will come, man. There will be cool cars down the road to own. No rush.

70monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT
Sometimes you just have to work up to a more expensive vehicle. I didn't even buy my first new vehicle until I was out of college for four years and it was only around $13,600. My next new vehicle five years later had a sticker price of over $29,000. My next new vehicle which was my Mustang was fifteen years later and cost over $32,700.

Sometimes you get lucky and can afford the more expensive ones right off the bat but don't get yourself into a financial situation that takes the pleasure out of the ownership.

Wayne

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
But with the direction that automakers are going, I don't think I'll be able to find, or there won't be any pleasure in future vehicles. I'm convinced that after these cars, with the way emissions and regulations are going, cars will just be boxes on wheels and nothing more. :(

ShawnO

2015 Silver PP GT 400A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silver PP GT 400A
Patience young Jedi. There's a reason I was always pissed at the old bald men driving Porsches. There are the spoiled (lucky) rich kids and those of us that had to earn it. I'm very blessed but for more than a decade I worked most Saturdays and many Sundays (60-80 hour weeks). I'm still raising 3 kids. Find out what you are good at and makes money and be better at it than any of the people around you (even though they will give you crap for making them look bad). Eventually (not next week) you'll get there.

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
If you are patient you will find one you like used or even CPO in a year or two. Once you buy it and drive it for oh, a day or two, you won't mind that it's a "used car," since every new car is a used car on Day 2.

Before my Mustang I bought a 09 GTI in 12/08, with 2,000 miles on it, and then bought an 07 Lincoln MKZ in 9/10 with 27K on it. Both were virtually new (the GTI especially) and both came at major discounts to new. I got 25% off a current model GTI, which was nuts, and I got 50% off the new price of the Lincoln. Pretty good pay for agreeing to buy used.

My better sense told me to do the same with my 15 Mustang, but just this once I took advantage of being able to afford to buy new and treated myself to a factory order of just what I wanted, and I am the first on my block. (First at my dealer, LOL.)

For a guy in college, a little patience is a very valuable characteristic.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
But with the direction that automakers are going, I don't think I'll be able to find, or there won't be any pleasure in future vehicles. I'm convinced that after these cars, with the way emissions and regulations are going, cars will just be boxes on wheels and nothing more. :(
Even if new cars go that route, you'll still be able to find used/CPO GTs. If one day the 5.0 is replaced with a TT v6, I have a feeling the TT v6 will be an amazing motor. You have to trust the engineers to do their job. :)

That said, I'm considering the same thing. Financially I could afford the new GT, but I tend to get a new car every 2 years and you really have to put down a good payment to stay ahead in equity. I'm hoping maybe next summer/fall to find a gently used GT. I plan on keeping this one for 5+ years, but just in case I want to upgrade in a couple years I figure I'll let someone else take the initial depreciation.

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
That's why they charge a gas guzzler tax on them.

Buying used or CPO gets you away from that.

As far as future vehicles, who would have thought that in the age of gas hitting over $4, that one of the Major auto makers would build a Stock car that makes over 700 horses or a GT car with a Flat Plane Crank Motor (usually reserved for High End Exotics)?

As long as people are willing to buy them, there will always be Muscle Cars.

There is some good advice posted here.

I have to agree.......Be Patient, Young Grass Hopper, your time will come! :cheers:

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I hope it comes sooner rather than later, I'm very anxious! I've been exposed to this car way too much over the past couple of months. I've had time with a pre-production car(I didn't drive it), and Ford brought one of the 50th LE cars(#7 I believe, whichever one goes to Bill Ford) to my school, and me, being a Porsche enthusiast, this Mustang just hit me in all the right spots, it resonated with me and I finally found an American car that I wanted more than a Porsche!

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
I'm not as fortunate as some of you(seems like everyone though), and won't be able to afford a new S550 unless I either.

1. Somehow acquire a higher paying job while being in college, or out of college in the next 3-4 years; and by then, Ford will probably have some stupid TT V6(I hate you CAFE) in place of the 5.0L. :tsk:

2. Be a complete and utter idiot, and trade in my '14 ST in the next 2 years, and even though I put enough down to have equity on the loan(the loan is less than what the cars worth) but I have no idea how that even works. :frusty:

Every day, I dream about a CO GT premium manual.

I would really love to have a new one that I ordered in the future, because it's so special and cool to think that the car was made for YOU and no one else, and that no one has abused the car before trading in; and that it also creates a special bond between you and the car, especially if it'd be your first Mustang.

It just seems like a shame to get a used or CPO car. I'm very passionate about cars, and I don't think it'd be as special or even cool. If I end up doing this down the road, is anyone else thinking about this? I'd hate to be the only one. Being young and in college can suck sometimes, and while 'education' is important, cars are just as important, or pretty damn close. :(

The possibility of owning one seems so far away, but I just like to think far ahead.
Just bought my first new car also, owned about 30 used ones though... I digress.

I want an ecoboost premium PP, same boat... Selling a new car after 6 months of ownership is going to cost you about 30% of the msrp or more...

Just hang tight and you can get one in a year or so

Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Over extending yoirself in college would be a mistake, make the right choices and your time will come. You will thank yourself in the end!

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I'm buying my first new car two years after college - 051a V6. Cost of living is crazy where I'm at and you really have to get all your ducks in a row first before committing to a car payment!

JTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost
I'm buying mine and it's my senior year of college. I was blessed and got a college scholarship, so all the college money my parents saved up went towards my first vehicle, a 2008 Jeep Wrangler (I used the 2k I saved throughout high school as the down payment). I still can't thank them enough. But now that I'm about to graduate I feel it's time to grow up. Part time at the dealership will make my monthly payments on my base ecoboost (they're still paying for insurance) until I graduate and I can start modding then. I have about 5k in equity in my Jeep because they hold their value so well. After my employee D plan and my trade I'll be financing about 20k. I'm happy and blessed that the situation worked out, I've been wanting an s550 since they were revealed.

My advice is to work hard and never give up on what you want. Thing's work themselves out for people that work their asses off, maybe not up front...but definitely in the end.

I hope you'll be able to afford one soon.

hailstate94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Man I'm a sophmore. I plan on getting a 2015 ecoboost or 11-14 5.0 about a year after im finished. Its gonna be a big personal debate im sure. But i dont believe in borrowing for a car so I'm saving my a$$ off right now

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Even if new cars go that route, you'll still be able to find used/CPO GTs. If one day the 5.0 is replaced with a TT v6, I have a feeling the TT v6 will be an amazing motor. You have to trust the engineers to do their job.
This. When I was young and shopping for a car the "302" was considered a very small motor. We were buying 440s, 455s and 454s. This of course was long before the metric system (7.2 and 7.4 liters respectively). We never thought the automakers would build small motors that produce this kind of Hp and torque. We of course were happily wrong.
Sponsored