Is Air Suspension Worth It?

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Have you ever driven (it) at the track? Have you ever driven a good coilover setup at the track? I'll be happy to be quiet about air bags if people with no track experiance will be quiet about performance/track benefits.
ive track three different cars with air, I’ve been in 2 of those with Uber nice Penske suspension. I’ll state that if you are chasing lap times and want the fastest lap you can get, then the 3-5K spent on air would better spent on a coil over set up. If they are not even close to what a fast driver is in the same car stock. Then it’s not going to matter, they are not pushing close to the limits of the car anyway. The FRS Penske setup was done through them and while I was in training from My shop at the time. The S2k was through Counter Space Garage, they had both cars available at big willow. Bags are more then capable at a track if set up properly

now have you tracked both and if so what are your thoughts?
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I have not tracked a bag setup. Because almost no one does. I have never seen a race car on bags (despite someone claiming it was a "competitive race setup"). In almost 20 years of autocross, track, and racing, I don't think I have more than 1 or 2 cars run them (and none of them won).

Colin Chapman once said "you can get any suspension to work, it you don't let it". So I have no doubt the air suspension manufactures can put together a one off track package that works OK on track. Leaf springs and live axes have won many races, but there are much better choices for road course work.

But if you want to run low to look cool, and still be able to handle steep driveways, speed bumps, etc. They are the hot setup.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I have not tracked a bag setup. Because almost no one does. I have never seen a race car on bags (despite someone claiming it was a "competitive race setup"). In almost 20 years of autocross, track, and racing, I don't think I have more than 1 or 2 cars run them (and none of them won).

Colin Chapman once said "you can get any suspension to work, it you don't let it". So I have no doubt the air suspension manufactures can put together a one off track package that works OK on track. Leaf springs and live axes have won many races, but there are much better choices for road course work.

But if you want to run low to look cool, and still be able to handle steep driveways, speed bumps, etc. They are the hot setup.
yeah, I would never use them to be competitive. Or try and push them that they could be. I really believe properly set up though 80% of drivers out there couldn’t push the car to the limit on them.

NathanSean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You guys, this has so far been the most intelligent thread I have read about airlift for the Mustang s550. So my question to everybody is about the alignment for the s550 after bags. Does the same applications apply like springs? For example, when I installed my Eibach Sportlines I upgraded my upper control arms and toe links. I put in the longer BMR Upper Control Arm along with the Adjustable Toe Links to make sure that the alignment was spot on. I was at a nice and beautiful -0.1 camber in the rear and front. Does anybody have any experience putting BMR control arms with the air ride? Does it work well with all the airing out and rising up? Thanks everyone.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Wow, i'm hearing all these killer prices on air suspension set-ups but i can't find anything for less than 3500! Where are you all getting these deals from?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Was there a big difference in ride feel going from the eibach sports to the air ride?
Problem is that eibach springs isn't by any means tuning a suspension for performance applications. It's merely lowering the car. You start with dampers and go from there.

It all depends what you want - fancy looks and lowering with a button (not sure why this is a thing) with some kind of contraption in your car - go with it. If you want handling, there is plenty of much superior, cheaper and lighter options to go with it. Even if you don't "push you car to the limit".

Meraki Autoworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Wow, i'm hearing all these killer prices on air suspension set-ups but i can't find anything for less than 3500! Where are you all getting these deals from?
We can get you a deal on Air Lift Performance, you're probably seeing people get deals during Black Friday, etc.. Theres no current promotions but we can quote you out. Feel free to pm me for details.

-Josh
Sponsored