Is a tracked vehicle a dealbreaker?

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Highlander DD, 2019 GT350
So after a long drawn out process trying to find the right car I found a great car. After chatting with the owner it was brought up he tracked the car a few times.

He seemed really enthusiastic about it and really knowledgeable on tracking so im wondering if it was more than a few times.

I still like the car and plan on tracking it myself so I guess it shouldnt bother me.

I was trying to avoid getting a tracked car, so this was kind of a bummer to hear. I appreciate his honesty though. Just kind of wish it was more upfront before I got emotionally invested into the purchase.

Like I already have money lined up. An inspection lined up. Shipping lined up. Everything besides the plane ticket down.

Curious others thoughts
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I think it's still a good choice. Enthusiasts like yourself (me too) who track cars tend to take very good care of them and consequently they are very well maintained. Also, if there's an "issue" it will show up sooner than later with track use. If you're comfortable with the owner and you like the car and otherwise it's a "go" I don't think you should have any regrets.

Post up some pictures.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If it makes you feel more comfortable, ask for all the maintenance records (should do that anyways IMO)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I think it's still a good choice. Enthusiasts like yourself (me too) who track cars tend to take very good care of them and consequently they are very well maintained. Also, if there's an "issue" it will show up sooner than later with track use. If you're comfortable with the owner and you like the car and otherwise it's a "go" I don't think you should have any regrets.

Post up some pictures.
Adult owner. Changed the oil after every track day. Has receipts for everything. Seems responsible. I have no reason to doubt his word. I am just over thinking it. Said he shredded a tire on the last track day. Then he installed camber plates.

3 track days were instructor follow. 4th and 5th was on his own. Said they actually had to force him out of novice.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
If it makes you feel more comfortable, ask for all the maintenance records (should do that anyways IMO)
Yeah he went over every receipt with me and had mileage time stamps on them. I pulled an OASIS and the AC compressor was replaced at 15600mi. The boot for the CV axle was replaced at 9500mi. I guess he said there was grease on the inside of the driver side rim. Owned the car since 8700mi. Doesnt have much knowledge of the previous owner. Just said he was more OCD than him.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Ehhh....I'd find a non-tracked car if I could. What about it makes it special to you?
Right color combo. Long warranty. Has all the mods I would want to do. Price is right. Extensive paper trail over every mod and maintenance. Adult owner. Seems responsible.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
To me, buying a tracked car is like buying used underwear with the knowledge that the previous owner had crapped their pants while wearing them. I'm sure they have been washed but it's still a bit weird. Even if I was planning on crapping my own pants while wearing them in the future, the whole situation is seedy. And this is coming from someone who tracks their car a fair bit.

Sponsored

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
A well maintained car that has been tracked a few times may be better than an ultra low mileage example. You did not specify the year, but oil consumption or engine replacement maybe known by then.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’d buy a tracked car over a non-tracked car. Nothing worse than a high performance car that’s never allowed to breathe (to me at least).

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
A well maintained car that has been tracked a few times may be better than an ultra low mileage example. You did not specify the year, but oil consumption or engine replacement maybe known by then.
Its a 2019 with 17k mi.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If he was diligent about the maintenance, and didn't have any dramatic offs, there really should be nothing to fear with a car that's seen 5 or 6 days on track in mostly novice hands.

I'd be much more excited about finding an owner with good records of the right kinds of maintenance than I would be worried about 'tracking' the car at little bit.

OP
OP
Rb1987

Rb1987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
If he was diligent about the maintenance, and didn't have any dramatic offs, there really should be nothing to fear with a car that's seen 5 or 6 days on track in mostly novice hands.

I'd be much more excited about finding an owner with good records of the right kinds of maintenance than I would be worried about 'tracking' the car at little bit.
This is why I value buying from an enthusiast rather than a box of chocolates dealer.
Sponsored