Sponsored

Is a 2019GT350R worth the extra vs the 2019GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang, 1968.5 CJ Mustang, 1969 CJ Mach 1, 1970 Boss 302
I am currently looking at the ShelbyGT350 line up and I am aware of the differences between the R and the GT350...my question is the R really worth the price increase. I am looking at 2019 models and the dealers that I have spoken with are either asking well above MRSP or not will to deal at all. There is actually a dealer local to me that has 2 2018GT350 on the lot with a 2019GT350 asking MRSP on all 3....

I have read that the 2020 will be available the GT350R for 2020 will be priced higher than the GT500 and produced at a lower volume.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
From what has been spoken on in conferences from Carl Widmann and Billy Johnson it sounds like the 19 non-R is very close to the R and is substantially better than the 18s. The 19s also have an upgraded engine over the 18s.

The R is better yet, but also comes with the worry of the carbon fiber components and scraping the larger splitter. From a daily duty vehicle, the non-R is probably better. From an enthusiast and track perspective, the 19 R is preferable with the 20 R even moreso.

If you can swing it, do the 19 R. The 20 R is a bit more expensive and it's debatable on the worthiness of the changes.

RJay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - K1393
I am currently looking at the ShelbyGT350 line up and I am aware of the differences between the R and the GT350...my question is the R really worth the price increase. I am looking at 2019 models and the dealers that I have spoken with are either asking well above MRSP or not will to deal at all. There is actually a dealer local to me that has 2 2018GT350 on the lot with a 2019GT350 asking MRSP on all 3....

I have read that the 2020 will be available the GT350R for 2020 will be priced higher than the GT500 and produced at a lower volume.

Thanks in advance
I'm not sure what the GT350 market is like in Canada, or if you can purchase in the USA and drive it/import it back home?

But you can find 2019 GT350's here at or below invoice right now. 2018 GT350's even lower than that.

There are leads posted on 2019 R's pretty consistently at MSRP or even a little below.

2020 orders are in and the cars will start being built very soon. That will drive the 2019 prices even lower when they start to hit the streets.

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The R changes are subtle but makes a big difference. Generally the 19 gt350 is good enough for daily use and occasional track days. The R was always for someone who often goes to track therefore the CF wheels and the unique tuning. So depends on what you are going to do with your car to see if the price makes sense to you.

The 20 Rs are debatable because of the steering and front suspension tuning. The old R is so precise in steering and perfect in balance that its hard to improve on, Ford basically updated the 20 Rs with 500 parts to save money. And using the new hardware needs a retune. No one knows at this point how the new steering tuning is and whether if we lose something we really loved in the old R. Those willing to take the bet might want to get the 20s. But those who want the more original R feel should go for previous years.

FP said purpose of new setup will reduce the tramlining, but the tramlining is something unique about the R and is just how sensitive the car is, you feel everything on the road, this is why many people are worrying about the new steering not being the same great feel.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)

Thanks in advance
If your thinking about a 2020 GT350R you best know someone to get one as Canada is only getting 10 R models for the 2020 MY.

With ~30 FP dealerships in Canada and only 10 cars it will be determined by lottery and you can bet that these 10 R's will not go for MSRP.

If you are interested in a brand new 2019 R model at MSRP send me a PM with your contact information and I will try to help you out.

:sunglasses:

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The R changes are subtle but makes a big difference. Generally the 19 gt350 is good enough for daily use and occasional track days. The R was always for someone who often goes to track therefore the CF wheels and the unique tuning. So depends on what you are going to do with your car to see if the price makes sense to you.

The 20 Rs are debatable because of the steering and front suspension tuning. The old R is so precise in steering and perfect in balance that its hard to improve on, Ford basically updated the 20 Rs with 500 parts to save money. And using the new hardware needs a retune. No one knows at this point how the new steering tuning is and whether if we lose something we really loved in the old R. Those willing to take the bet might want to get the 20s. But those who want the more original R feel should go for previous years.

FP said purpose of new setup will reduce the tramlining, but the tramlining is something unique about the R and is just how sensitive the car is, you feel everything on the road, this is why many people are worrying about the new steering not being the same great feel.
The changes manufactures make over time are not always "better". Any GT350 is a competent track car.

If they did indeed make the GT350 that much better that would mean the gap between it and the GT350R has decreased.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
They did so well with the FY19 enhancements on the standard that I’m not worried at all the R improvements will enhance the driving characteristics. The $5K price hike is a little hard to stomach based on the announced changes, but I’m hopeful the overall improvement will warrant the price escalation.

awildpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
They did so well with the FY19 enhancements on the standard that I’m not worried at all the R improvements will enhance the driving characteristics. The $5K price hike is a little hard to stomach based on the announced changes, but I’m hopeful the overall improvement will warrant the price escalation.
19 350 and 20 R changes are very different. The 19 350 changes are actually substantial that can benefit the car in every way unlike the 20 R changes. It looked like ford truly wanted to improve the 19 350 and for the 20 R they just threw what they can save money on and gave it a tune to make it work. Not the same.

CliffClavin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Van down by the river
Right. Because we should just assume they are using the R as a parts bin car.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
19 350 and 20 R changes are very different. The 19 350 changes are actually substantial that can benefit the car in every way unlike the 20 R changes. It looked like ford truly wanted to improve the 19 350 and for the 20 R they just threw what they can save money on and gave it a tune to make it work. Not the same.

Right. Because we should just assume they are using the R as a parts bin car.
I would assume they wanted to use as many parts in common across the car's. Im curious what a part number comparison would show.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
This is very simple. Do you care for the carbon fiber components? If not, proceed with non-R purchase. Preferably, the used market.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Thanks in advance
I personally thought carefully about this and decided that the R was not for me. By all accounts the R is a MUCH better car to drive and there is a huge difference between the GT350 and the R.

I think the biggest differences are due to the lower ride height, stiffer springs, stickier/wider tires and CARBON FIBER wheels.

I personally am an engine guy and the Voodoo was the main attraction for me. I wanted a car I could drive a lot and enjoy it. In 3 1/2 years I put about 33,000 miles on the car, even though I had it parked for the winter months. I didn't think the Cup 2 tires were appropriate for that. Now both cars have tires that are labeled Cup 2. I don't know if they are very similar in compound or not.

I personally think the R is for people who have a lot of financial freedom to buy what they want. The carbon fiber wheels are too expensive for me to be comfortable owning a car with them. The Cup 2 tires are too expensive and wear out too quickly for what I wanted (a car to use and drive a lot - weather permitting). The R is a little too low to the ground for me to be comfortable with driving it around regularly.

If you want to mostly have the car in your garage and drive it to Cars and Coffee, weekend joy rides or mostly use it at the track... then it's more likely the R is for you. If you want to use it as a car and drive it a ton I think the regular GT350 is more for you.

I personally was going to buy a 2020 GT350 but then decided to go a different direction - partially because it has Cup 2 tires now, partially because of the other design changes to the interior and exterior.

Anyway - either version of the car is great. You will love the Voodoo in my opinion.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Get a 19 GT350; if you’re going to track it, spend the money saved over the 19-20R on a good set of lightweight forged wheels, brake pads, rotors, tires and track time. You won’t be worried about ruining a 5-6k carbon fiber wheel on the track

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I moved from the 350 to the R. The difference is very noticeable. I have a 19. Its faster then the standard car, although I dont know why. I do not have the CF wheels on at this point, they will be relegated to track use. Used wheels and tires are cheap. Most of the changes to the R were done in 19. They did not advertise those changes IMO because they wanted to highlight the base car. I have not scraped the splitter but, Im careful. The car rides good in comfort mode. I drove the car in Detroit with no issues. CF wheels are 6K a piece. Do the math, which is more of a value

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I bought a GT350 because the markups on the R were absolutely crazy around me (Florida) in 2017 and no matter how many dealers I called (50+) I couldn't stomach the markups they required ($10K-$20K at most places).. and when I did find the lower markups, it was never the color combo I wanted. When I bought my (non-R) GT350 (May 2017) I paid $2k UNDER MSRP for the exact car I wanted.

After a short time of ownership, I began to realize just how much I loved the GT350 as a drivers car- the motor, the handling, the feel on the road, and of course the exhaust. From there forward, I began my search for an R and had wished I had just waited it out and bought one in the first place. 13 months I later traded my GT350 for an R and have no regrets! To me, it was well worth the extra money. Hell, I love the R so much I want to buy another (2020 model?) to put away. :)

I would say that if you can comfortably afford the R you should go for it. If your budget is tighter or you have higher priorities with how you spend/save, then the GT350 is the way to go.
Sponsored