Is 5w50 oil really needed in the HPP

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
So the base 2.3 turbo calls for 5w30 and the HPP calls for 5w50. I know the turbo is a bit bigger and I actually run the NX2 but what all intells the difference for oil? Is there different tolerances and specs within the engine or does ford just assume because you got the HPP your going to track and beat on it? I definitely don't mind spending the extra coin to add the 5w50 but I don't track the car. My 2017 F150 3.5 calls for 5w30 and I've towed 6k plus with it on a regular basis over here in AZ with no turbo or engine issues which is way more stress than I'll ever put the mustang through.
Sponsored

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
As an HPP owner for two years now I have been a stickler with my dealership on this issue. They have put 5-30 in and I can tell the difference. Mainly through oil pressure but also the dreaded typewriter tick appears. 5-50 full synthetic kept full and the engine runs great and is quiet until the next change. I don't track the car, just spirited street driving. This is a different engine hence the "D" code in the VIN. Only Ford can explain the choice here. it's obvious the expected performance envelope of this engine, kinda like a Voodoo or Predator V8 in Shelbys that also spec 5-50 must be a factor. Oil is cheap insurance in my mind!

OP
OP
steve0s550

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
As an HPP owner for two years now I have been a stickler with my dealership on this issue. They have put 5-30 in and I can tell the difference. Mainly through oil pressure but also the dreaded typewriter tick appears. 5-50 full synthetic kept full and the engine runs great and is quiet until the next change. I don't track the car, just spirited street driving. This is a different engine hence the "D" code in the VIN. Only Ford can explain the choice here. it's obvious the expected performance envelope of this engine, kinda like a Voodoo or Predator V8 in Shelbys that also spec 5-50 must be a factor. Oil is cheap insurance in my mind!
I agree the right oil is cheap insurance! I'm about to hit 13k miles on the car and have had it for 15 months. I did my first oil change at 1k miles and then 5k and 10k all with Mobil 1 5w50. I Also use the Motorcraft FL-400S filter which allows exactly 6quarts to hit full line on dipstick. Thanks for the input!

EruptionGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT 10 speed Performance Pack
I was really surprised the Ecoboost HPP (as well as the Focus RS) would call for a 5W50 just like the GT has in the past (which also calls for a 5W30 stock for 2021-2022).. I suspect 5W50 would be overkill unless you're really gonna drive the car hard and go for long oil change intervals. I'd look into a 0W40 which is available in 5 quart jugs at any Walmart/auto parts chain and Mobil1 and Castrol Edge make a great 0W40. 5W50 might be expensive if you change oil often.

At the same "cold weight" and different "hot weight", ex) 5W20 vs. 5W30 vs. 5W40 vs. 5W50, the 5W50 will be significantly thicker at ambient temperatures than the 5W30 would. The only time they will be similar in cold viscosity is when it's truly freezing cold out like -20F. This means the 5W50 will be thicker in cold-start scenarios and thinner oils protect better during cold-starts due to their superior flow.

Son of SVO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Ecoboost premium coupe
I understand your comments. Modern oils have amazing properties that do allow for flexibility. Not like the old days!!
I simply follow the manufacturer recommendation on type and change my oil at roughly 20/25 percent oil life per the car's computer. I never go all the way down but in my car this equates to roughly 8K between changes.
Sponsored