Sponsored

IS $5500 PPF worth it GT350 ????

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I did spend the 5 grand. But, I did ceramic and film for part of the car. The rest of the cot was 3X paint correction I had done. And as for values, I wont be around to see what happens anyway. I will tell you track crap wipes off with a rag, rubber, dust ect, easy
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
My PPF installer told me (unfortunately after the fact) that the chance the stripes will remain in place after the PPF is removed is very slim. They use a heat steamer to pull off the PPF, and with all likelihood, the original stripes will come off with it. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they saw a demonstration of a PPF being put on the stripes and then peeled off without affecting the stripes. My installer showed me the same demonstration. It's one thing to peel off the PPF immediately after putting it, it's another to try to peel it off after the glue is cured and bonded in. a day or two.

If the stripes will peel off with the PPF, it doesn't make much sense to wrap them. You are not protecting them. The detailer can't simply put them back because 1) they may get damaged, stretched, or distorted due to heat and pulling, 2) most detailers can't simply make up the same glue and bonding material that XPel and 3M produce. For my car, wrapping the bumper, side fenders, hood, and rocker panels, if I had to replace the original HEP stripes and stickers covered by the PPF, it would cost me upwards for $1500.

In addition, there will be visible air margin right next to the edge of the stripes, about 3 to 5 mm in width. That's because the edge of the stripes is perpendicular to the paint. On a white car like the HEP, it's not unsightly, and you won't notice it unless you look closely. On a dark colored car, it will stand out more easily. See a close-up picture of the PPF margins on my HEP below:

GT350HEP11.jpg

XPel has two pre-cut kits for the Shelby. One where there is a different piece for each stripe and one with one piece that covers the strips (the pic above has the XPel Ultimate Plus with one piece that cover the stripes). My recommendation is if you're going to wrap, use the cut-per-stripe piece and don't cover the stripes. Cover only the paint. Here are the XPel pre-cut parts for the GT350:

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...rucks/2020/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby-GT350

Examples from the above link:

Covers stripes: P0523DK-U
Cut-per-stripe: P0523DQ-U
Forget about the stripe the paing orignleel
My PPF installer told me (unfortunately after the fact) that the chance the stripes will remain in place after the PPF is removed is very slim. They use a heat steamer to pull off the PPF, and with all likelihood, the original stripes will come off with it. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they saw a demonstration of a PPF being put on the stripes and then peeled off without affecting the stripes. My installer showed me the same demonstration. It's one thing to peel off the PPF immediately after putting it, it's another to try to peel it off after the glue is cured and bonded in. a day or two.

If the stripes will peel off with the PPF, it doesn't make much sense to wrap them. You are not protecting them. The detailer can't simply put them back because 1) they may get damaged, stretched, or distorted due to heat and pulling, 2) most detailers can't simply make up the same glue and bonding material that XPel and 3M produce. For my car, wrapping the bumper, side fenders, hood, and rocker panels, if I had to replace the original HEP stripes and stickers covered by the PPF, it would cost me upwards for $1500.

In addition, there will be visible air margin right next to the edge of the stripes, about 3 to 5 mm in width. That's because the edge of the stripes is perpendicular to the paint. On a white car like the HEP, it's not unsightly, and you won't notice it unless you look closely. On a dark colored car, it will stand out more easily. See a close-up picture of the PPF margins on my HEP below:

GT350HEP11.jpg

XPel has two pre-cut kits for the Shelby. One where there is a different piece for each stripe and one with one piece that covers the strips (the pic above has the XPel Ultimate Plus with one piece that cover the stripes). My recommendation is if you're going to wrap, use the cut-per-stripe piece and don't cover the stripes. Cover only the paint. Here are the XPel pre-cut parts for the GT350:

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...rucks/2020/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby-GT350

Examples from the above link:

Covers stripes: P0523DK-U
Cut-per-stripe: P0523DQ-U

Is that XPel and the same product all are posting about ?

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
My installer put PPF on the top of the stripes. I don't see air bubbles on my. On white cars it's not visible anyway.
As mroad pointed out there is a air margin at the stripe line when the entire hood is done in one sheet of PPF. True, it may not show up as bad on a white car, but when compared to the two options, I opted to cover the stripes separately as the difference was considerable.

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
I've already expressed my thoughts.

Technically it wasn't me who started it.

And actually I have a Sentra now not a Altima. Been saving since July to buy a GT350R. On track to get one in a couple months.
Good luck brother

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
Good luck brother
Thanks man. So excited to get one. I have about 4 to 5 specs that I would buy. Hoping the right one will be available by the time I'm ready.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man. So excited to get one. I have about 4 to 5 specs that I would buy. Hoping the right one will be available by the time I'm ready.
Youā€™ll find it jus be patient with it

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I paid $5,000 for xpel on my gt350. I got a really good deal as it was a 2nd vehicle and I referred someone to him as well. The price consisted of

Full front bumper, full hood, partial roof, full fenders, full doors, rocker panels, full trunk, full rear bumper, spoiler and the lower part of the rear fenders, mirrors and headlights

I also got stage 1 paint correction on the whole car, 3 coats of ceramic and my rims done with 1 coat.

The stripes are done with a stripe kit xpel offers. So the right side of the hood is a piece, the driver's side stripe is a piece, the part between the stripes is a piece, the passenger stripe is another and then the passenger side hood is a 5th. This is the same for the bumpers, roof and trunk. They all seem together and can't tell unless you really look closely.

Benefit of that is you can have a part repaired any time and not ruin the rest or have to remove it.

You also have the benefit of not worrying about possible air pockets at the edge of the stripe if you do one sheet of film over the entire area.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $5,000 for xpel on my gt350. I got a really good deal as it was a 2nd vehicle and I referred someone to him as well. The price consisted of

Full front bumper, full hood, partial roof, full fenders, full doors, rocker panels, full trunk, full rear bumper, spoiler and the lower part of the rear fenders, mirrors and headlights

I also got stage 1 paint correction on the whole car, 3 coats of ceramic and my rims done with 1 coat.

The stripes are done with a stripe kit xpel offers. So the right side of the hood is a piece, the driver's side stripe is a piece, the part between the stripes is a piece, the passenger stripe is another and then the passenger side hood is a 5th. This is the same for the bumpers, roof and trunk. They all seem together and can't tell unless you really look closely.

Benefit of that is you can have a part repaired any time and not ruin the rest or have to remove it.

You also have the benefit of not worrying about possible air pockets at the edge of the stripe if you do one sheet of film over the entire area.

Nice, but.. the problem will occur when the plastic yellows and you want to remove it 4-5 years later (or whoever owns the car) .. It will pull out the stripes.

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Nice, but.. the problem will occur when the plastic yellows and you want to remove it 4-5 years later (or whoever owns the car) .. It will pull out the stripes.
Almost all brands have at least a 10 year anti-yellowing gaurentee, FYI. I hear what youā€™re saying though. In my experience, you can usually get 10-12 years before cracking/yellowing if the car is closer to the equator and sits outside a lot. If garage kept and cooler Iā€™ve seen 17 year old cars that the PPF still looks brand new.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Almost all brands have at least a 10 year anti-yellowing gaurentee, FYI. I hear what youā€™re saying though. In my experience, you can usually get 10-12 years before cracking/yellowing if the car is closer to the equator and sits outside a lot. If garage kept and cooler Iā€™ve seen 17 year old cars that the PPF still looks brand new.
And I would imagine PPF technology has come a long, long way in 17 years. Heck, I didnā€™t even know about PPF 17 years ago. I would think it would last much longer today.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
And I would imagine PPF technology has come a long, long way in 17 years. Heck, I didnā€™t even know about PPF 17 years ago. I would think it would last much longer today.
My installer said the exact same thing, and heā€™s been installing clear bra/PPF since 3M pioneered the space. He said he wouldnā€™t be surprised if the current film lasts 25+ years as long as it doesnā€™t live outside in the sun... but only time will tell.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
On my 335i the front bumper got very ugly in about 6 years... but I don't know what they used... so I removed it myself, but it was easy as no stripes..

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
My installer said the exact same thing, and heā€™s been installing clear bra/PPF since 3M pioneered the space. He said he wouldnā€™t be surprised if the current film lasts 25+ years as long as it doesnā€™t live outside in the sun... but only time will tell.
I live in CA, and the car has always been garaged/under cover. Still, I don't know if I'd leave it on that long. I don't know the chances of it being on there over 10+ years will somehow fuse the clear bra adhesive to the paint and take some off with it. I definitely won't be the first to try it lol.

I had my front bumper/hood/roof clear bra replaced and since I had stripes, only the owner of the shop wanted to do it. The stripes on the roof ended coming off with it. Only been about 3 years, and again, always been garaged/parked under cover. It'll be worse for any car that is parked outside. The owner of the shop suggested blacking out the roof, so it all worked out. If the bumper or hood stripes came off, that might've triggered a full aftermarket stripe replacement.

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2021 Alpine A110
Just did a track day and clipped a cone at high speed. Small scrape on the bumper of my brand new 2020. With the PPF I'm confident it will heal. Even if it doesn't 100%, I know my paintwork underneath is still perfect. SO worth it