Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
Yes, and on black cars which I have, it shows as a white line along the stripe.

But doesn't that mean having to buy new vinyl stripes? I can't imagine being able to pull off the stripes to install the PPF, without it stretching somewhat. And a complete set of the stripes is several hundred dollars, adding to the total cost.
That's straight from Xpel's website (click on the link).

I would think you would need to replace the stripes. I am not saying anyone needs to do that though. As they say, its fine to put the ppf on top of the stripe, you just might have some issues at the edges of the stripes. Just stating my opinion that given the cost of stripes compared to everything else, I would.

In any case, I was really posting that is response to your comment
And I can't see how you can remove the stripes without pulling up the PPF. They are both removed by heating and then peeling.
The installer I used and Xpel both state you can remove a stripe placed on top of their ppf without damaging the film. I dont know about the other way around.
Sponsored

Mr. Met

06 Time Person ofthe Year
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2020 GTPP Premium, 2015 GT Premium, 1999 Expedition EB
I've heard most people say it's around 5 to 6K, how did you get yours done so cheap?
Just to be clear, I never said I paid $6,000 for the ppf (maybe others have and I missed it, in which case ignore this). I paid that for full ppf, full fusion plus 4yr ceramic coating, full prime xr tint (including windshield), and custom stripes made and installed.

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
If anyone does decide to do PPF, make sure they wrap around the edges. I've seen the cheap PPF jobs that charged 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was charged, and they only wrapped up to the edge on every panel, making the entire clear bra wrap visible to everyone. When done right, people shouldn't be able to tell you have PPF at first glance or at all.
For sure I will thanks 🙏🏼

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
My PPF installer told me (unfortunately after the fact) that the chance the stripes will remain in place after the PPF is removed is very slim. They use a heat steamer to pull off the PPF, and with all likelihood, the original stripes will come off with it. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned they saw a demonstration of a PPF being put on the stripes and then peeled off without affecting the stripes. My installer showed me the same demonstration. It's one thing to peel off the PPF immediately after putting it, it's another to try to peel it off after the glue is cured and bonded in. a day or two.

If the stripes will peel off with the PPF, it doesn't make much sense to wrap them. You are not protecting them. The detailer can't simply put them back because 1) they may get damaged, stretched, or distorted due to heat and pulling, 2) most detailers can't simply make up the same glue and bonding material that XPel and 3M produce. For my car, wrapping the bumper, side fenders, hood, and rocker panels, if I had to replace the original HEP stripes and stickers covered by the PPF, it would cost me upwards for $1500.

In addition, there will be visible air margin right next to the edge of the stripes, about 3 to 5 mm in width. That's because the edge of the stripes is perpendicular to the paint. On a white car like the HEP, it's not unsightly, and you won't notice it unless you look closely. On a dark colored car, it will stand out more easily. See a close-up picture of the PPF margins on my HEP below:

GT350HEP11.jpg

XPel has two pre-cut kits for the Shelby. One where there is a different piece for each stripe and one with one piece that covers the strips (the pic above has the XPel Ultimate Plus with one piece that cover the stripes). My recommendation is if you're going to wrap, use the cut-per-stripe piece and don't cover the stripes. Cover only the paint. Here are the XPel pre-cut parts for the GT350:

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protecti...rucks/2020/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby-GT350

Examples from the above link:

Covers stripes: P0523DK-U
Cut-per-stripe: P0523DQ-U

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I would no way, no how pay 6k for ppf the whole car... just get the front bumper done which is harder to DYI (I did that one myself too, it's not easy, and might not come out perfect) , for about 500, and then do your own lower quarter panels and behind the wheels...

All the relatively straight panels are very easy to do, the film can be moved stretched easily when wet, and you can re-apply it many times if you don't like how it looks, as long as it has not cured.

I mean it is not a 200k Ferrari for god sake, which will appreciate in time, and you want to keep the paint perfect. Guess what people, its still a Mustang at the end of the day which slowly declines in value :)

Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R in Iconic Silver
OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
I would no way, no how pay 6k for ppf the whole car... just get the front bumper done which is harder to DYI (I did that one myself too, it's not easy, and might not come out perfect) , for about 500, and then do your own lower quarter panels and behind the wheels...

All the relatively straight panels are very easy to do, the film can be moved stretched easily when wet, and you can re-apply it many times if you don't like how it looks, as long as it has not cured.

I mean it is not a 200k Ferrari for god sake, which will appreciate in time, and you want to keep the paint perfect. Guess what people, its still a Mustang at the end of the day which slowly declines in value :)
I hear you man , but if I had a Ferrari I would still do the gt350 PPF first lol 😂 jus saying
Hahaha
But yes I’m going for the full front and that’s it for 1300

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
Guys thanks again for making my decision easier after a lot of consideration And opinions on this forum I have decided to go with suntech ultra PPF on the full front , pillars, 12 inches on the top and also part of the rear fenders for $1375 from a reputed installer in town,
Also I am installing a PPF carbon fiber film on the spoiler and the side view mirrors.
And tints for the entire car.
Powder coating the brake calipers to red
To finish it all of , ceramic coating on the entire car and also wheels and brake pads Ext for dust.
all of this for $2700 total cost including PPF

yes they buff the car, paint correct the car before The install and they also tuck the film behind the edges for a seamless look.
Professionally done ✅

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I vote no. Some people squander money to show you how much money they can spend poorly. The hood, nose, mirrors and lower sides are about all that you need. I got mine for $1700 including the tinted windows and a 10 yr warranty from the only local place in business more than 10 years.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I'm scheduled for a "track" PPF application on mine this April
What I'm planning on doing to my GT350, is similar to the "track" package
I paid 4 and change for the nose wrapped with xpel and the car ceramic coated from a shop in Nassau...I would do it again and it has held up great for over two years... I'm extremely satisfied with this decision..
I'm taking mine to Detailing Dynamics in Mineola.

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Shawn, not to complicate your situation. I vaguely remember you mentioning replacing your stripes to black. Should you decide to change them, better do it now or just wrap everything but the stripes. Just a thought.
Hey awesome you remember yes but then I decided to leave them OEM they look awesome and that look is growing on me

OP
OP
Shawn78600

Shawn78600

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
GT350 #K2058
Vehicle Showcase

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
Guys thanks again for making my decision easier after a lot of consideration And opinions on this forum I have decided to go with suntech ultra PPF on the full front , pillars, 12 inches on the top and also part of the rear fenders for $1375 from a reputed installer in town,
Also I am installing a PPF carbon fiber film on the spoiler and the side view mirrors.
And tints for the entire car.
Powder coating the brake calipers to red
To finish it all of , ceramic coating on the entire car and also wheels and brake pads Ext for dust.
all of this for $2700 total cost including PPF

yes they buff the car, paint correct the car before The install and they also tuck the film behind the edges for a seamless look.
Professionally done ✅
the 1375 sounds like a great deal!

...i wouldn’t bother with the rest, but that’s just me :wink:
Sponsored

Reactions: dps