IS $5500 PPF worth it GT350 ????

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
On the S550 cars, what areas are highest risk?
In my case and what I noticed:
1. Rear quarters
2. Front bumper
3. A-Pillars
4. Edge of the roof
6. Front of the fenders
7. Front of the hood

First I've done entire front-end + mirror housings
Then the rest. All together was $2K out the door.
I glad I did it.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Interesting, my "A" pillars and full roof were one piece. I've had "A" pillar damage in the past so wasn't playing games with this car.
Our A-Pillar connects to the rear quarter panel without a break which makes it a pain for installing clear bra and repairs in that area.

Yes, there are and they do a terrific job but do not confuse them with actually ceramic coatings, especially the professionally applied ones. They are not the same.
My coating was professionally applied. I am aware of the benefits. I keep great care of my car, bird crap/dead bugs gets cleaned off immediately, and I'm in the habit of taking an extra 5 minutes after a wash to throw a coat P&S Beadmaker on it to keep the car glossy 24/7. So again, preference. With the advancement in quality and ease of spray wax it's changed how I take care of my car. In my case, bird drops never have a chance to penetrate the spray wax layer, let alone the ceramic coating.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Yes. XPEL film can be applied over a vinyl wrap or graphics. However, if there are any hard edges that film must cross (as in the case of stripes), it could result in some air being trapped along that edge.
Yes, and on black cars which I have, it shows as a white line along the stripe.

Yes, you can install a vinyl on top of the film. We recommend waiting 48 hours after installation before doing so. You may also remove the stripe without damaging the film, if removed properly.
But doesn't that mean having to buy new vinyl stripes? I can't imagine being able to pull off the stripes to install the PPF, without it stretching somewhat. And a complete set of the stripes is several hundred dollars, adding to the total cost.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
But doesn't that mean having to buy new vinyl stripes? I can't imagine being able to pull off the stripes to install the PPF, without it stretching somewhat. And a complete set of the stripes is several hundred dollars, adding to the total cost.
Set of aftermarket stripes are a few hundred. Set of OEM? Thousands.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Set of aftermarket stripes are a few hundred. Set of OEM? Thousands.
The purpose of PPF and ceramic coating for me, is to preserve all the original paint and value on my car. If I start using aftermarket stripes, or have to repaint it, then it decreases the value as far as I'm concerned.

Sponsored

rush0024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R | 2023 Ram TRX
In my case and what I noticed:
1. Rear quarters
2. Front bumper
3. A-Pillars
4. Edge of the roof
6. Front of the fenders
7. Front of the hood

First I've done entire front-end + mirror housings
Then the rest. All together was $2K out the door.
I glad I did it.
I've heard most people say it's around 5 to 6K, how did you get yours done so cheap?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I've heard most people say it's around 5 to 6K, how did you get yours done so cheap?
$5-6K is for entire car PPF. My is not. Only front-end + mirrors, A-pillars, edge of the roof and part of rear quarters where front wheels through the rock chips. First I've done entrie front-end for $1800. Then add the rest for $200. Oh, the price of $1800 was included side stripes with "GT350" lettering. I think it's normal price, nothing to brag about.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
I interviewed five installers which two of them mentioned removing stripes and installing them on the top of PPF. The installer I went with advise me opposite(he's very reputable and experience around my area). When I mentioned to him the issue of removal PPF and damaging stripes he said the PPF can be removed without an issue. He later demonstrate this on my car on the lower part of the bumper. So, I have PPF on the top of the stipes and I have no issue - all good. I think it depends on how good installer is whether installing or removing PPF.
I think a big issue for people is that there will be a visible line at the edge of the stripes when the film is placed over it. I didnt care and had them placed over the stripes. I didnt even care that they said there could be issues with removing the film from the stripes. The film is good for 10yrs, even if I need to redo the film after 5 I will just get new stripes put on.

The paint on these cars are not great and I plan on keeping the care a while so I went ahead with the film.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
$5-6K is for entire car PPF. My is not. Only front-end + mirrors, A-pillars, edge of the roof and part of rear quarters where front wheels through the rock chips. First I've done entrie front-end for $1800. Then add the rest for $200. Oh, the price of $1800 was included side stripes with "GT350" lettering. I think it's normal price, nothing to brag about.
What part of the country? I'm in LI NY, and certainly will pay more than in other parts of the country. In other parts of the country, I'm sure the labor costs, and markups are less. Location, location, location, it doesn't always work in our favor.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
What part of the country? I'm in LI NY, and certainly will pay more than in other parts of the country. In other parts of the country, I'm sure the labor costs, and markups are less. Location, location, location, it doesn't always work in our favor.
We're neighbors. I'm in one of expensive part of NJ, so the price would be similar to yours.

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Do you think Carroll would want you spending that money on paint protection or on gas, tires and brakes........
Last I checked, the payments to Ford Motor Credit came out of my bank account and not Carroll Shelby's. No disrespect to him, but none of our cars are his or anyone else's.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
Do you think Carroll would want you spending that money on paint protection or on gas, tires and brakes........
If it sold cars he probably wouldn't care. Listen to his interview on how he came up with the gt500.

BiancoV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1969 Torino GT
I paid 4 and change for the nose wrapped with xpel and the car ceramic coated from a shop in Nassau...I would do it again and it has held up great for over two years... I'm extremely satisfied with this decision..

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
If anyone does decide to do PPF, make sure they wrap around the edges. I've seen the cheap PPF jobs that charged 1/3 to 1/2 of what I was charged, and they only wrapped up to the edge on every panel, making the entire clear bra wrap visible to everyone. When done right, people shouldn't be able to tell you have PPF at first glance or at all.
Sponsored